Menu

Is there a PC term for "Indian burn?"

Hmm, I didnt think it was regional. Wikipedia says:

Indian or Chinese burn

This is a prank done by grasping the victim's forearm firmly in both hands, and then twisting the hands in opposite directions about the victim's arm, causing the tender skin to stretch, making it red and sore.[1] . Known primarily as an "Indian burn" or "Chinese burn" in the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, "buffalo skin" in India, "snake bite" or "Indian rub" in Canada, or "Indian rug burn" in the United States (except in some midwest states such as Wisconsin where it is known as a snakebite), "Indian burn" in France, "policeman's glove" or "hundred needles" in Hungary, "barbed wire" in the Netherlands, "needles" in Bulgaria and "Brennessel" ("stinging nettle") in Austria, Switzerland and the southern parts of Germany, "thousand needle stings" in the northern parts of Germany, "thousand needles" in Sweden, "Nettle" in Latvia, Poland and Russia, "French Cuff" in Denmark, "kuuma makkara" (hot sausage) in Finland, "manita de puerco" (split pigs' feet) in Mexico.

Hmm, I didnt think it was regional. Wikipedia says:

Indian or Chinese burn

This is a prank done by grasping the victim's forearm firmly in both hands, and then twisting the hands in opposite directions about the victim's arm, causing the tender skin to stretch, making it red and sore.[1] . Known primarily as an "Indian burn" or "Chinese burn" in the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, "buffalo skin" in India, "snake bite" or "Indian rub" in Canada, or "Indian rug burn" in the United States (except in some midwest states such as Wisconsin where it is known as a snakebite), "Indian burn" in France, "policeman's glove" or "hundred needles" in Hungary, "barbed wire" in the Netherlands, "needles" in Bulgaria and "Brennessel" ("stinging nettle") in Austria, Switzerland and the southern parts of Germany, "thousand needle stings" in the northern parts of Germany, "thousand needles" in Sweden, "Nettle" in Latvia, Poland and Russia, "French Cuff" in Denmark, "kuuma makkara" (hot sausage) in Finland, "manita de puerco" (split pigs' feet) in Mexico.

We call that a snake bite

It was Indian burn in the 1970s & 1980s down here in the deep south, too.

My kids have no idea what that is (the name OR the action); they are definitely less violent than we were, lol.

I was explaining "knucks" to my youngest the other day - anyone else play that fun bit of torture? It was a card game where each player tried to get rid of their cards. The first one "out" earned the privilege of slamming the deck of cards against the knuckles of the other players. One slam for every card left in your hand. You could slam hard for the bruising factor, or scrape the edges for bloody, torn skin. Good times.

11-yr-old: Why on earth would you do that?

Me: Um, we had no internet?

My kids know it by the non pc name of Indian sunburn, might call it a snake bite from now on, but they don't do it as often as we did.

I think they also the the torture of planting a garden on a siblings arm. I haven't taught them how to milk a mouse yet...

Any one remember "Pink Belly"?

It takes two torturers, one sits on top of the prone victims pelvis, the other pulls the victims arms up above his head and then pins them my sitting on them. Then the victim is immobilized the torturer sitting on the pelvis lifts the victims shirt and begins to slap the skin. Not too hard, but quickly and repeatedly. At first it doesn't hurt (too much) but quickly the skin becomes sensitive, e slaps really sting, and and the skin turns bright pink. Hence the name "Pink Belly."

How I miss the good-old days :D

Bill

Any one remember "Pink Belly"?

It takes two torturers, one sits on top of the prone victims pelvis, the other pulls the victims arms up above his head and then pins them my sitting on them. Then the victim is immobilized the torturer sitting on the pelvis lifts the victims shirt and begins to slap the skin. Not too hard, but quickly and repeatedly. At first it doesn't hurt (too much) but quickly the skin becomes sensitive, e slaps really sting, and and the skin turns bright pink. Hence the name "Pink Belly."

How I miss the good-old days :D

Bill

I gave my ds a pink belly yesterday ;) It was in a demonstration, when he claimed that we were wimps for ever thinking they were bad. He won't make that mistake again.

They also do knuckles like we used to. Knuckle to knuckle with the opponent and 1 suddenly raps the other on teh knuckles and you try to get your hand away in time.

Or how about 2 for flinching.

Or "hey did anyone meet my new horse? His name is charlie" As you punch them in the thigh.

The one they like is "I win, you lose, now you have a big bruise" As they punch the person up and down the arm.

Yeah mine are not any less violent than we ever were.

I gave my ds a pink belly yesterday ;) It was in a demonstration, when he claimed that we were wimps for ever thinking they were bad. He won't make that mistake again.

They also do knuckles like we used to. Knuckle to knuckle with the opponent and 1 suddenly raps the other on teh knuckles and you try to get your hand away in time.

Or "hey did anyone meet my new horse? His name is charlie" As you punch them in the thigh.

The one they like is "I win, you lose, now you have a big bruise" As they punch the person up and down the arm.

Anybody want a "knuckle sandwich"?

Bill

Anybody want a "knuckle sandwich"?

Bill

Ha ha ask my kids what I offered for dinner last night :lol: After asking me 17 times what we were having for dinner I told them knuckle sandwiches. Hmmm, maybe I have not outgrown my childhood lol

Well, look at your cat for goodness' sakes! If you can't even teach your cat to stay away from assault weapons... :D

Well, look at your cat for goodness' sakes! If you can't even teach your cat to stay away from assault weapons... :D

:lol: dd taught me a new one today. "I win fair and square now I get to pull your hair"

My kids will never fit in with pacifists :001_huh: Given that 2 announced that they are joining cadets next year so they can go in the army and blow things up why am I surprised?

We had one torture that was unique to our block (and was especially feared!).

It was called "The Lake of Fire."

It involved being stripped of ones shirt and being dragged over a low-slung Juniper bush (that alway seemed to be struggling for life and was therefore full of sharp dry stickers).

Being dragged over the bush hurt, but it wasn't the bad part. After about 5 minutes post all the scratches (and they were always really numerous) would start to "burn." Whatever oil that bush put off went into the wounds and made them itch, welt, and burn. It was hell. And if you itched it (as was tempting) you just made it far worse.

I still get chills thinking about the Lake of Fire :D

Bill

We had one torture that was unique to our block (and was especially feared!).

It was called "The Lake of Fire."

It involved being stripped of ones shirt and being dragged over a low-slung Juniper bush (that alway seemed to be struggling for life and was therefore full of sharp dry stickers).

Being dragged over the bush hurt, but it wasn't the bad part. After about 5 minutes post all the scratches (and they were always really numerous) would start to "burn." Whatever oil that bush put off went into the wounds and made them itch, welt, and burn. It was hell. And if you itched it (as was tempting) you just made it far worse.

I still get chills thinking about the Lake of Fire :D

Bill

Yikes. THAT one is one that I have never heard of before and neither have my kids thank goodness. SOunds so painful

Yikes. THAT one is one that I have never heard of before and neither have my kids thank goodness. SOunds so painful

It was an "our block" only torture (lucky for everyone else :D). I can't get across in words how painful it was. The burning and welting were intense!

The good thing is it was not a punishment that was invoked often or without cause. The treat was (usually) enough to modify behavior. But....:001_huh:

Bill

Now, wait a minute, "snakebite" is not PC either. That's offensive to snakes. I will not tolerate such language being spoken in my presence. :tongue_smilie:

(I get irritated with all the PC name changes and I'm owly today.)

And yes, I am sitting Indian Style, not criss cross applesauce at this very moment. :lol:

Off to give my kids a pink belly, Indian burn, noogie, charlie horse, and other childhood nightmare I can think of! :lol:

Anyone do "Chinese Water Torture"?

It has to be offensive :tongue_smilie:

CWT was similar to "Pink Belly" (with two people holding the victim down) and then the head torturer very lightly taps on the same spot on a victims forehead over and over and over.

At first the light taps are no problem, but in time one is driven insane :D

Bill

Anyone do "Chinese Water Torture"?

It has to be offensive :tongue_smilie:

CWT was similar to "Pink Belly" (with two people holding the victim down) and then the head torturer very lightly taps on the same spot on a victims forehead over and over and over.

At first the light taps are no problem, but in time one is driven insane :D

Bill

Yup. DD told me the girls were doing to each other at the last girl guide meeting.

Now, wait a minute, "snakebite" is not PC either. That's offensive to snakes. I will not tolerate such language being spoken in my presence. :tongue_smilie:

(I get irritated with all the PC name changes and I'm owly today.)

And yes, I am sitting Indian Style, not criss cross applesauce at this very moment. :lol:

Off to give my kids a pink belly, Indian burn, noogie, charlie horse, and other childhood nightmare I can think of! :lol:

I cannot bring myself to utter "criss cross applesauce" and have actually felt the urge to slap someone for telling my son to do it. If you must be PC about it, can't you just call it cross-legged? Why must they come up with such inanity?

Yep, that's a snakebite and luckily my kids haven't learned that one yet. They know "Hertz Donut", but haven't found anyone naive enough to fall for it, thankfully.

However, our family may appear to be a bunch of abusive heathens when we're out in public due to "slug bugs/punch buggies". We'll be walking or driving along nicely, then all of a sudden arms will be flying around every direction and everyone is shouting when someone spots one of those dang VW bugs. :)

I cannot bring myself to utter "criss cross applesauce" and have actually felt the urge to slap someone for telling my son to do it. If you must be PC about it, can't you just call it cross-legged? Why must they come up with such inanity?

Well I say criss-cross apple sauce not because it is PC but because we recite the whole poem most of the time with my toddler/preK kids and so the times we do not say the whole poem we just say criss cross apple sauce.

Criss Cross apple sauce

Pockets on the floor

Put my hands into my lap

So I can listen more.

It has nothing to do with being PC.

Yep, that's a snakebite and luckily my kids haven't learned that one yet. They know "Hertz Donut", but haven't found anyone naive enough to fall for it, thankfully.

However, our family may appear to be a bunch of abusive heathens when we're out in public due to "slug bugs/punch buggies". We'll be walking or driving along nicely, then all of a sudden arms will be flying around every direction and everyone is shouting when someone spots one of those dang VW bugs. :)

We play that one too. I am currently winning ;) dd12 is a very close second

Well I say criss-cross apple sauce not because it is PC but because we recite the whole poem most of the time with my toddler/preK kids and so the times we do not say the whole poem we just say criss cross apple sauce.

Criss Cross apple sauce

Pockets on the floor

Put my hands into my lap

So I can listen more.

It has nothing to do with being PC.

I have never heard of that. It sounds like something a preschool teacher made up.