Menu

Best Vocab program to do well on SAT?

My SAT tutoring students really enjoy Vocabulary Cartoons (SAT Word Power) for beefing up that SAT vocabulary.

There's a difference between "developing a good vocabulary" and "developing a good vocabulary for the SAT."

I tutor kids from private (secular) school, public school, and Catholic school, and the one thing that seems to make the MOST difference in their combined reading / writing / vocabulary proficiency is whether or not the student had Latin. It's uncanny, really: The kids who have had ANY Latin (usually Catholic schooled kids) are on par with the kids who are FLUENT in 2-3 languages, and all of those kids are WAY ahead of everyone else, AP / honors / everyone.

I just ordered a set of cards from Timberdoodle called 'Marie's Words'

http://www.timberdoodle.com/Marie_s_Words_p/828-828.htm

They look like a great resource, especially if you could make a game out of them.

Here's a copy/paste about them:

Because we remember faces easier than we do names, it follows that learning vocabulary with colorful illustrations to help with recall is a more effective plan than merely studying lists of words and their definitions. Marie's Words features a full-color, hand-drawn illustration on one side to show the word in a way that helps your child recall the meaning more easily.

550 Vocabulary Words Gleaned From the SAT

Just as a logo is a visual representation of a company, Marie's Words utilizes colorful illustrations to create a "face" for each of the 550 vocabulary words gleaned from the SAT® test and literature. While some of the illustrations are not immediately apparent, once understood, each drawing will aid in mastering the definitions of these words and is a natural augmentation to your child's study of word roots. On the reverse of each Marie's Words card is the phonetic pronunciation, definition and part of speech, the word used in a sentence, synonyms, and antonyms.

the one thing that seems to make the MOST difference in their combined reading / writing / vocabulary proficiency is whether or not the student had Latin.

Rather than memorizing a bunch of words, we talk about roots, prefixes, suffixes, etc. That way, my guys can de-code a new word they come across, at least enough to get the basic idea of the meaning. I don't have them memorize those elements, but rather relate them to words they already know, so that when they encounter a new word, they can break it into parts.

I used a text in college called something like "Greek and Latin Roots in the English Language". I can't verify that, because it's one of the books middle ds took with him when he went to college last summer. :001_smile:

• 4 weeks later...

:001_smile:This is a great observation that I will not forget to share with others.

My SAT tutoring students really enjoy Vocabulary Cartoons (SAT Word Power) for beefing up that SAT vocabulary.

There's a difference between "developing a good vocabulary" and "developing a good vocabulary for the SAT."

I tutor kids from private (secular) school, public school, and Catholic school, and the one thing that seems to make the MOST difference in their combined reading / writing / vocabulary proficiency is whether or not the student had Latin. It's uncanny, really: The kids who have had ANY Latin (usually Catholic schooled kids) are on par with the kids who are FLUENT in 2-3 languages, and all of those kids are WAY ahead of everyone else, AP / honors / everyone.

Someone had previously recommended this SAT vocabulary program from Laying the Foundations. I haven't used it but it looked quite good. It is based on the Shakespeare list - a list of the 1,625 words that have appeared on the SAT test.

Thank you for sharing the Shakespeare list. After looking through it, I have decided that if I ever see Michael Clay Thompson in person, I shall have to kiss his feet. Gladly. :D

My son has been doing about 10 words a day- putting on index cards, including sentences demonstrating usage & CONSTANTLY REVIEWING - using these two books:

http://www.amazon.com/SAT-Vocabulary-Prep-Level-1/dp/1419552228/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339258785&sr=1-2&keywords=kaplan+sat+vocabulary

http://www.amazon.com/SAT-Vocabulary-Prep-Level-2/dp/1419550144/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339258785&sr=1-3&keywords=kaplan+sat+vocabulary

On practice tests he went from getting about half wrong in the sentence completion sections to getting zero wrong now so this has been a very effective study method for him. (He's also extremely motivated and hard-working.)

After reading the College Confidential discussions, I'm having him do some vocabulary from these:

http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Hits-Core-Vocabulary-SAT/dp/1936551055/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339258972&sr=1-1&keywords=direct+hits+core+vocabulary+of+the+sat

http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Hits-Toughest-Vocabulary-SAT/dp/1936551063/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339258972&sr=1-2&keywords=direct+hits+core+vocabulary+of+the+sat

He also studies Latin (Wheelock's) & recently I started making him do derivatives.

Best of luck to you!

Dds just took the SATs last week, so we won't know for a few weeks, but oldest wasn't missing any vocab questions on the practice real SATs she took prior to that. She just finished Wheelock's Latin. I had them do Vocabulary from Classical Roots per WTM (making cards, etc.) And dd studied the Direct Hits books linked in the pp. She has also read extensively: old classic children's books, two years of Great Books, etc.

I just checked Adler's A Guidebook to Learning out of the library. I love his books.

Edited by angela in ohio

There's a very good online vocabulary / spelling tutoring program at http://www.learnthat.org. My kids use it and like it very much, and my oldest has started SAT prep and done quite well on the verbal practice tests, at least partially because of LearnThat.

Tho I agree, Latin is probably the single most important foundational skill for a good vocabulary, and for doing well on verbal tests.

I really liked the vocab study I did I high school. Each Friday we were given a list of about 20 words. We had to come back on Monday with a definition and any derivatives. For example we might get harmonious and be expected to also list harmony and harmonize.

There was a bit of natural competition to come up with derivatives that no one else found (I'm still proud of finding sanguinopurulent for the word sanguine).

Friday we'd have a crossword for the quiz. You had to find the right word from the definition or synonym. After some weeks the synonym might be a word from an earlier week. You had to take note of the part of speech indicated by the clue.

the one thing that seems to make the MOST difference in their combined reading / writing / vocabulary proficiency is whether or not the student had Latin.

My dc have not had any Latin and I really would like them to start.

There aren't any classes or any resources like that in this part of the world. Can you or anyone here recommend a good workbook preferably or other user-friendly program? Is Wheelock's good? I've seen it mentioned once or twice on this thread.

Thank you. :)

• 2 weeks later...
There's a very good online vocabulary / spelling tutoring program at www.learnthat.org. My kids use it and like it very much, and my oldest has started SAT prep and done quite well on the verbal practice tests, at least partially because of LearnThat.

Tho I agree, Latin is probably the single most important foundational skill for a good vocabulary, and for doing well on verbal tests.

Did you use the free version or the premium version?

• 1 month later...
Someone had previously recommended this SAT vocabulary program from Laying the Foundations. I haven't used it but it looked quite good. It is based on the Shakespeare list - a list of the 1,625 words that have appeared on the SAT test.

Thanks so much for sharing this! Fabulous site, I am so tempted to print out every lesson now but hate the idea is how much ink I am going to blow through ;)

My boys learned Latin and Greek roots from a couple of books that did just those (my old brain has forgotten titles) back when we started homeschooling.

Then we added in Wordly-Wise and had them continue using words in there. For my middle son, I made sure he had finished both the 11th and 12th grade books by spring of junior year test taking time. I wish I had also done that for oldest.

Oldest tested 93% (if I remember correctly) on his ACT/SAT English portion. I wish I'd had a couple more years of homeschooling him. We only started as he entered 9th grade and our ps had him lower foundationally than my standards would have. (We opted to homeschool for academic reasons.)

Middle son aced the ACT English portion and only missed one on the Reading section.

Youngest tested at the 99th percentile at the end of 8th grade before entering ps for high school. He's since dropping ability :glare: and I wish he'd go back to homeschooling for academic reasons, but that's a whole different story. (I also wish we lived in a better academic school district, but moving now isn't an option.)

...She just finished Wheelock's Latin. I had them do Vocabulary from Classical Roots per WTM (making cards, etc.)...

Angela, these are my two favorite resources, too! :)

Wheelock's and Vocabulary from Classical Roots.

In fact, one of the most overlooked resources is found in the Appendix of Wheelock's..."Etymological Aids"--the section that lists pages of prefixes and other "-fixes" and shows how they are combined with Latin verbs to create new words. This is a fabulous resource for developing vocab knowledge, so if you have a copy of Wheelock's on the shelf, open it up.