Menu

Mosdos question: what did your day/week/year look like?

How long and how often? Better to set aside a block of time, or do the reading and then the discussion on different days, etc. How far did you get in a book in a year? We won't be going full pelt at this, as kiddo's plate is getting fuller, and I refuse to "ruin" literature by making it torture. At least not this young. ;)

I'm not sure which grade you will be working with, but this is what we did with 5th grader this year. We used the workbook as well.

Monday - Read and discuss Lesson in Literature together. Do 1st vocabulary page from workbook together.

Tuesday - Read and discuss story.

Wednesday - Do 2nd vocabulary page in workbook independently.

Thursday - Do graphic organizer workbook independently (usually with some guidance from me first).

Friday - Read and discuss one of the poetry selections from end of each unit.

We cover a story a week and complete the book in a year. Ds also reads other novels. We discuss those but don't do written work for the novels.

Since we use another writing program, I don't have ds do the suggested writing assignments in Mosdos (unless there is something that I think he would really enjoy).

My 8th grader also did Mosdos. Same basic format as above, but he did most everything independently, and we discussed once a week.

I'm not sure which grade you will be working with, but this is what we did with 5th grader this year. We used the workbook as well.

Monday - Read and discuss Lesson in Literature together. Do 1st vocabulary page from workbook together.

Tuesday - Read and discuss story.

Wednesday - Do 2nd vocabulary page in workbook independently.

Thursday - Do graphic organizer workbook independently (usually with some guidance from me first).

Friday - Read and discuss one of the poetry selections from end of each unit.

We cover a story a week and complete the book in a year. Ds also reads other novels. We discuss those but don't do written work for the novels.

Since we use another writing program, I don't have ds do the suggested writing assignments in Mosdos (unless there is something that I think he would really enjoy).

My 8th grader also did Mosdos. Same basic format as above, but he did most everything independently, and we discussed once a week.

Thanks! And this wasn't too much for your children (ie they didn't tire of the story by the end of the week)?

Any other Mosdos people?

Thanks! And this wasn't too much for your children (ie they didn't tire of the story by the end of the week)?

No, they don't tire of the story. The vocabulary workbook pages work with words from the story, but in a completely different context than the story. Besides reading and discussing the story, the only other activity we do that deals with the story again is the graphic organizer. Both my ds liked the predictability of the routine we established.

Hopefully other Mosdos users will chime in as well.

My Dd said to say she takes a "serene" approach to Mosdos:glare:

What this means is we are just now starting the 5th grade (coral) book, having taken the serene route through Ruby,the 4th grade text. Note we will technically be starting 6th this fall, so in theory we are falling 'behind' with the literature books from Mosdos Press.

The "routine" approach plus implementing more of the teacher manuals are two things we will be striving for this year.