Menu

For those in Colorado...

There is another similar thread asking for information about homeschooling in CO, but I am specifically curious about a few things in CO...

Our family is considering a move to CO from Texas...the older I get the more I loathe the incredibly hot summers here, and our allergies drive us crazy in Texas! My husband's job is flexible enough so that he can work at home, so we could pretty much move anywhere. I'm thinking CO is the place to be!

Anyway, I am still gathering info about CO and where would be best to live. We are thinking CO Springs right now. Is there an active CO Springs area homeschooling group? Or would you recommend another area of CO? A little about us: we are a Christian family of 5 (hopefully still growing) and are looking for a place to live that is cooler, has lots of outdoor activities available, is relatively safe (low crime), has an active homeschool community, and is just an overall good place to raise a family.

Thoughts and advice?

I live in the west Denver metro area and I LOVE it here! (If you Google Map Bear Creek Lake Park in Lakewood, I live very close to there.)

I'm in the Jefferson County school district and they are VERY friendly and helpful to homeschoolers. I joined a Home-schooling group through my church, they meet once a month on Monday nights for family nights. These can be History days, Foreign Country's Food Days, safety days (where they bring in firemen and paramedics,) wildlife days (with the wild birds and all of that.) Unfortunately I haven't been able to go much because of a prior commitment on Mondays, but I'm trying to rearrange things! Other than those family nights, they have a website/forum where people plan field trips and activities. We meet up with someone from that group at least once a week. A lot of the original moms now have teenagers and graduates, but there was such an influx of us newer moms and we're starting to do more for just younger elementary kids. And that's just one of the many groups I know of- home-schoolers are everywhere here. There are also more MOPS groups than you can count- and one at a church nearby us has a homeschooling group within the MOPS groups, so that moms can bring their older kids even when they have preschoolers still. I've never been a MOPS person myself, but a lot of my friends love it.

I don't know much about Co. Springs, but we call it Christian Mecca. ;) So I'm gonna guess that you'd be able to find all sorts of groups down there, too.

The things I like about being closer to Denver is 1) closer to the mountains, 2) here in the foothills, where I am, our winters are milder as the snow sort of "jumps" over us 3) closer access to the zoo and museums and 4) closer access for my husband's travels. Elitch Gardens (Six Flags) and Waterworld both have at least one Homeschoolers day a year. The Federal center, the Denver Mint, all sorts of historical societies- they all are set up to take home-schoolers all the time. We drive a bit north to go berry picking on some farms, and we can get down to Co Springs in about 60-70 minutes.

For me, you just cannot go wrong here. Personally I'm partial to where I live because of the school district and the weather. But I have friends all over the metro area and everyone loves where they live, too.

PM me if you have any other questions! I've probably shared a bit more personal info than I should already. :tongue_smilie: I just REALLY love living in Colorado.

Of course I am going to say here, where I live, in Castle Rock.

The school district is very homeschool friendly, we are close enough to Denver (or the Springs)to do anything we want without much travel.

We have a great HS enrichment program that I and my children love.

I cannot say much about other areas since I haven't really lived there.

I am not really wild about the metro Denver area.

The North Denver (Boulder, Thornton) area is really growing and is also nice (but I don't know about the HSing situation).

I don't currently live there but I have lived all over the metro area over 25 years. Parker is a great area with tons of homeschoolers, it is right near CHEC which is where the main homeschool (Christian) group. Is is the state organization and I know of a really great (sniff....I miss it) family integrated church is near there. PM me if you arecinterestedcin any of this info. I am in Missouri but I still love Colorado. Great people there.

I've lived in Colorado Springs for about 15 years. I moved here from Texas when I joined the Air Force. Colorado Springs is definitely a military town. I love Colorado Springs in the summer, but not in the winter.

I know New Life Church has a homeschool group through their High Country Home Educators. Also, Mountain Springs Church has quite a bit of activity with their homeschool families. I don't belong to a group in town. My kids attend a public charter school program 1 day/week and that takes up so much of our time that I don't schedule other outings during the week. There are plenty of options for homeschooling families- art classes, YMCA classes, music lessons, public school offerings, etc.

Crime varies throughout the city. You'll find the more violent crime in the southern part of the city. Monument and Black Forest are nice areas in the northern part of the Springs.

my gf moved to CO the same time I moved to TX. TX has great homeschool laws, but where I live, I'm missing the great opportunitites her dc have in CO. She is always telling me about her fabulous library and great homeschool activitites. It sounds wonderful. Someone correct me if I am wrong, doesn't CO require testing every other year? Not sure if that is a factor for you or not. She loves the mild summers and enjoys the winters quite a bit with all the snow activities.

Question for you guys about homes in Colorado...is it the norm for them not to have A/C?

I don't know about the Springs or Denver, but up where I live it's not odd for older homes or the newer more cheaply built ones to not have it. They might have swamp coolers though.

I don't know about the Springs or Denver, but up where I live it's not odd for older homes or the newer more cheaply built ones to not have it. They might have swamp coolers though.

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. Our house was built in 1995 and it, and all the houses in our neighborhood, have it. Houses built before 1990 or so seem to be a crap-shoot, some have swamp coolers. Any new construction will certainly have it.

Question for you guys about homes in Colorado...is it the norm for them not to have A/C?

We've owned 3 homes in Colorado Springs. We've had to put central air in every single home we've purchased. Most people don't think it's necessary. We have allergies, so we have it. I won't go without it now. It's just too hot during the summer not have it.

I have lived in both Texas and Colorado.

Honestly, there isn't much need for AC in Colorado. There are a few REALLY hot days in July and August. I whine a lot during those days, but otherwise, I prefer to have all the doors and windows open, and save the money. The humidity is low here so, hot isn't as hot as say...... Houston.

I grew up in the Hill Country and when I visit, it is similiar to here, but here is still less humid and cooler. Heck where I live, we are still wearing long pajamas to bed at night (it gets cold!).

Swamp coolers are large fans that blow cold wet air into the house. It makes the house cooler using moist air. I think the perfect set up for this area is an attic fan and a swamp cooler. The higher up you are, the less AC you need, the more snow you shovel.

It is dry here.

Water is expensive.

Check the cost of water in the area you plan to move to (it can get really expensive, fast)

For instance, my mother lives in an area that fines her if the grass isn't green, if she waters on resticted days, and has the highest cost of water around. I, on the other hand, do not have an HOA or a city to complain about the grass, no watering restrictions and my water is fairly reasonably priced.

Lara

Hi there,

I'm the outgoing (not as in terrific bubbly personality but as in I've done it for five years and we have two hs graduations -- hopefully -- in the next 13 mos.) Friday School coordinator (see post #9)

Judy, sadly, had a stroke right before Thanksgiving and thankfully she survived it but is focusing on therapy and such now.

So, I'm handling all inquiries:

ma_bell@comcast.net.

I am working on updating our listings with CHEC and the local library which has a homeschool group database.

Also, I'm involved with www.homeschoolsciencecolorado.com and we'd love your young scientists to look into it (you can visit the website or you can email me for info).

Also, there are great Christian karate groups, children's acting groups, American Heritage Girls, Boy Scout troops, orchestras, sport teams, etc. Of course we don't participate in all of these but I know people who do.

We've got a great homeschool support group here too.

My house has AC -- there are days you really need it.

Kelly

looking for a place to live that is cooler, has lots of outdoor activities available, is relatively safe (low crime), has an active homeschool community, and is just an overall good place to raise a family.

Thoughts and advice?

We've lived just north of Colorado Springs (in Black Forest - about 15 min away) for the past 12 years. The Colorado Springs area meets all of your criteria.

Black Forest is about 1000 feet higher in elevation than CS (we're at 7500 ft. above sea level here) so it's generally about 10 degrees cooler out where we live than in town. Plus, most lots out here are heavily treed (Ponderosa Pine trees) so that helps keep it cooler too.

There are tons of homeschool groups in this area (lots of Christian groups and also a few secular groups). You could be involved in some type of homeschool group/organized activity every day of the week if you wanted to. Many of the local businesses cater to homeschoolers, offering "homeschool classes" and programs during public school hours. The Colorado Springs library system is fantastic, and they really reach out to the homeschool community to see how they can better support homeschoolers' needs (our local branch has even set up a Homeschool Science Lab where you can come and do your science experiments/lab work once a week!). The public schools partner with homeschoolers, and homeschooled kids are able to participate in various public school programs/sports.

There's lots to do around here, especially if you enjoy outdoor sports (hiking, biking, skiing, etc.) and we have sunshine ~330 days a year. It can get hot in the summer, but it rarely goes above 95 degrees and it's a "dry heat" which really does make a difference.

In addition to the homeschool groups mentioned by a previous poster, here are some other groups you may be interested in:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCOHomeschool/

http://hche.org/

http://www.meetup.com/Colorado-Homeschoolers/

http://mvhsa.hsd2.org/

HTH! :)

Ok, "Friday School" and "enrichment program" don't mean much to me at this point....does anyone want to explain? :001_smile: Are these like co-ops that you pay to attend or you have to teach a class?

I am loving what I'm reading! Thank you!

You could be involved in some type of homeschool group/organized activity every day of the week if you wanted to. Many of the local businesses cater to homeschoolers, offering "homeschool classes" and programs during public school hours. The Colorado Springs library system is fantastic, and they really reach out to the homeschool community to see how they can better support homeschoolers' needs (our local branch has even set up a Homeschool Science Lab where you can come and do your science experiments/lab work once a week!). The public schools partner with homeschoolers, and homeschooled kids are able to participate in various public school programs/sports.

Wow! Sounds wonderful!!

Our enrichment program is run by the county, you enroll your child in the PS system for one day a week.

They get classes that are mostly unit studies (history --civil war ), art, PE, LA--write a journal etc...

The school just agreed to pay for our curriculum for next year (Sonlight, MCT, WWE, MUS, SIngapore, lots of choices). You check it out and return it (unwritten in) the next year.

So basically, my children get a day to be with other children, they get art, and PE and some cool activities and field trips, I get a day off and their books for free.

They also pay for and administer the testing that is required every odd year--they are also talking about doing optional beginning year-end year testing for our own diagnostic use.

This was my first year at this school, I found it to be a great experience for all of us.

The cost is minimal ($20/child/year??)

Our enrichment program is run by the county, you enroll your child in the PS system for one day a week.

They get classes that are mostly unit studies (history --civil war ), art, PE, LA--write a journal etc...

The school just agreed to pay for our curriculum for next year (Sonlight, MCT, WWE, MUS, SIngapore, lots of choices). You check it out and return it (unwritten in) the next year.

So basically, my children get a day to be with other children, they get art, and PE and some cool activities and field trips, I get a day off and their books for free.

They also pay for and administer the testing that is required every odd year--they are also talking about doing optional beginning year-end year testing for our own diagnostic use.

This was my first year at this school, I found it to be a great experience for all of us.

The cost is minimal ($20/child/year??)

There's a similar program in our district, it's called HOPE here, OPTIONS in a neighboring country. I think it's $40 a year here. The one closest to the us is actually held in the church we attend. But it's taught by teachers that are hired, paid for and credentialed through the school district. So the teaching is secular. I've heard good things about it but it's not something we've chosen to use. Yet. :001_smile:

I'll second Lara's recommendation for Castle Rock. It's where I live also. Most of the houses in this area come with A/C. We never run ours, but there are others that do.

Castle Rock is close enough to Denver to hit up the activities there, and also close enough to Colorado Springs to take advantage there. It's also close enough to get to the mountains relatively easily. I think our library system is amazing as well.

We have a really great homeschool PE class that we take here that I can't recommend high enough. There is an all-day enrichment program through the public school one day a week. Our local charter school has a twice a week spanish and science class. There is also a private one day a week enrichment program. We also have a CC group and a co-op group.

Colorado does require testing every other year starting in 3rd and has days/hours requirements.

A swamp cooler?? Oh goodness, I need to google that.... ;)

It's an evaporative cooler. Works fabulously in the dry heat of Colorado, 97% of the summer anyway. There are always a couple humid days where it's not enough. But it cools off so much at night, it's fine. A LOT cheaper to run than an air conditioner.

Colorado does require testing every other year starting in 3rd and has days/hours requirements.

TallTexan, you've gotten a lot of great info so far, but I'll chime in too to say that Colorado Springs is very homeschool friendly. When you tell people you homeschool, they don't look at you like you have two heads, which is really nice!

Re: the quote above, I wanted to clarify that if you have kiddos who do not do well with standardized tests or if you just don't want to do the testing thing, at least down here in the Springs, you can pay an evaluator to come in and evaluate your children instead of having to test them every other year. I hear it costs about $100, so it's not cheap, but I plan to do this next year when ds is in 3rd grade. I know several families who have recommendations for evaluators.

It seems like almost every school around here has a one-day homeschool program (Rocky Mountain Classical Academy, The Cottage School at TCA, plus the many that were already linked to). The High Country Home Educators group that someone else linked to has more than 300 families with more than 600 kids taking classes on Tuesdays and/or Wednesdays.

I've also found that local schools are quite supportive about letting my kiddo participate in gym and other activities without any fuss.

Re: AC, we are in an older home and I wish we had AC, though it's really only for parts of July and August that it would be nice. The rest of the spring/summer/fall, it's great to have the windows open. It cools way down at night here b/c it is so dry, and if you put fans in your windows to pull in the cool air once the sun sets, you can cool your house down a lot each evening.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Christina

Ok, "Friday School" and "enrichment program" don't mean much to me at this point....does anyone want to explain? :001_smile: Are these like co-ops that you pay to attend or you have to teach a class?

I am loving what I'm reading! Thank you!

I was running out the door when I wrote that but am now home. Friday School is a Friday morning enrichment co-op with about 25-35 families (it varies semester to semester). We have newborns, high school seniors, and everything in between. We meet from 8:45 to noon each day and some families stay after because there is a homeschool karate group that meets at 12:30.

Friday School is "enrichment" in that most of the classes are fun, hands-on ones that are hard to do at home, such as choir (I guess if you have a lot of kids...). By high school, though, the students are doing more required classes such as Latin and Apologia Science.

Dues are affordable at $15 per family per semester, with financial aid if needed. The money goes to buy office and storage supplies and to reimburse our host church for copier paper, toilet paper, etc. that we use while we are there.

Classes are whatever moms (or the occasional dad) want to teach. We've had sewing, PE, guitar, geography, test prep, science, IEW writing, drama, speech, history, etc. This is not a drop-and-leave program. Moms are asked to work (teaching, nursery, preschool) two or three of the three hours we have classes, and we go easy on pregnant ladies and new mommas. Last semester, for example, I was a desk assistant first hour, taught physical science second hour, and helped in the sewing class last hour.

It's a fun program that my kids look forward to each week. They've made good friends there and are always looking forward to Friday.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Kelly

Edited by Bassoonaroo
Forgot something...

If we keep this up, we're gonna have half this forum move out here! Yay!

Seriously! :001_smile:

I mean, I have to say that where I live is super HS friendly as well, and we have a big HS group of 300+ families in my community in north Texas. We have wonderful churches, unbeatable shopping, and super friendly people. The biggest downside is just the weather and the allergies! I have also lived here all my life, and I feel like God may be preparing me for a new adventure...

When our family went to Colorado on vacation last October, we just loved it. But of course we saw it through "vacation eyes"--your insight into what it's like to actually live in Colorado is invaluable to me.

:seeya: :party:<--- My DS4 came up to sit with me and really wanted me to add this waving guy and "the party one." So, these are for him. Ha!