Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mommaduck

? abt financial aid

My husband is looking at attending a trade school to acquire a higher certification for something that he already is doing. This would widen his opportunities and put him in a position for higher pay.

The trade school that is in this area has the program. It's a short program. However, these are the two options:

1. Full time, during the day, financial aid available.

2. Part time, evenings, no financial aid available.

He works during the day (no, there is no evening hours) and we NEED the financial aid. The cost per week is most of his paycheck per week, meaning that we literally cannot afford the program. It takes every penny to make ends meet.

Question: WHY would they not have financial aid for the program during the day, but not the one in the evenings? I'm thinking it's because it's part time in the evening, but every other part time program I've known about has financial aid available.

I don't think we can really give you a definitive answer.

I would talk directly with the financial aid officer of the trade school. I don't know if they use the FAFSA to determine aid, and/or if they offer loans. Government aid does have rules, but I don't know how they apply to a trade school type certification.

If you can't get scholarships or need-based aid, then savings or a loan would seem to be the options. I find it hard to believe that the school would offer NOTHING. Your dh is likely in the exact same spot as most of their other older (non-traditional) students.

Maybe someone else will chime in, but I really would want to get the correct info directly from the financial aid officer. You can set up an appointment in person to review your potential $$ need level.

I don't think we can really give you a definitive answer.

I would talk directly with the financial aid officer of the trade school. I don't know if they use the FAFSA to determine aid, and/or if they offer loans. Government aid does have rules, but I don't know how they apply to a trade school type certification.

If you can't get scholarships or need-based aid, then savings or a loan would seem to be the options. I find it hard to believe that the school would offer NOTHING. Your dh is likely in the exact same spot as most of their other older (non-traditional) students.

Maybe someone else will chime in, but I really would want to get the correct info directly from the financial aid officer. You can set up an appointment in person to review your potential $$ need level.

We don't have any savings. It is literally paycheck to paycheck. We just had to borrow money from my FIL due the car having broke down and setting us back. We won't qualify for any regular loans. Our credit is not the greatest. The only loan we would be able to get would be through a school, for school. Our other option is to wait till next tax season :(

Could your husband talk with his employer and see if they would either cover the cost of the evening classes, or if the day time classes are really short term, pay him while he attends the full time program? If it will be of benefit on his job, they may be willing to help or even have a tuition assistance program already in place.

Could your husband talk with his employer and see if they would either cover the cost of the evening classes' date=' or if the day time classes are really short term, pay him while he attends the full time program? If it will be of benefit on his job, they may be willing to help or even have a tuition assistance program already in place.[/quote']

That would be lovely if they did. They fall under "small business". Growing, but small business. He's already checked into all of that when he got hired. They will loan him a truck for a Class B test. They will not pay for any schooling for a Class A. They really don't have a need for Class A drivers at the moment. They will not pay him while he goes to school instead of working. He's hourly, not salary. Getting a Class A could benefit him presently, only in that he could drive the Class B trucks, but the idea is that eventually he'll be able to get a better paying job as a Class A driver (with another company).

He's probably not looking to change jobs right now, but some trucking companies will hire and pay for the training to get the CDL. But I have no idea what the job conditions and terms are like as I'm sure they'd want to get their money back in some way, or cover some of the less desirable routes. I hope you're able to figure out a way to somehow make it work as it seems drivers are in demand in your area.

He's probably not looking to change jobs right now' date=' but some trucking companies will hire and pay for the training to get the CDL. But I have no idea what the job conditions and terms are like as I'm sure they'd want to get their money back in some way, or cover some of the less desirable routes. I hope you're able to figure out a way to somehow make it work as it seems drivers are in demand in your area.[/quote']

We looked into that. The company that is near here that does this would put him over the road (cross country, instead of regional) and doesn't pay any more than he's making now (they state their per mile pay and approx miles per month). He's better off driving local and being a dad. What he would like to do is local and regional CDL.

He should definitely schedule a meeting with the school. Maybe there is a way to work around this specification. Wishing you all the best in this!

:grouphug:

Finally got hold of the school's financial aid office. They have to meet so many hours in order to offer loans and scholarships. You would think that a school would plan for something like that...aka offer more hours.

I looked at another school. They have more hours but nothing listed for financial aid either. Just "payment plans". It's the same school used by one of the companies that he could go directly to and they would pay for training. But they are known to be a bit unreasonable.