Menu

Need good shows for child too old for preschool shows.

The poll got me thinking about some things.....my daughter is aging out of the Sprout, Disney Jr., PBS Kids genre. There are still some shows that she enjoys, but we're way past Dora. So when we get some free time she REALLY wants to watch Disney in the afternoon. I prefer the Disney shows over the ones on Nickelodean, but barely. However, it's that or 'adult' shows, which she's not quite old enough for either. Anways, this losn explanation is ask if anyone has any good recommendations for the 7yo crowd. We don't have Netflix but I don't mind buying DVD's. My mom always had us watching musicals, which she'll do, but if we have 30 mintues to watch TV it's always hard to stop a movie.

Thanks for the ideas. She does like Wild Kratts, and I find it to be fairly educational for a TV show. She's only 6, so I don't want to go too adult. She also really likes dance, so I have been able to get her to watch ballets.

The afternoon PBS kids shows are targeted toward an older audience. I've seen some really off color content (very surprised) on Disney in the afternoon. In one of the programs a character used the phrase "slogging the Prime Minister" while pretending to be British. On the other hand, Phineas and Ferb is hillarious.

Cyberchase, Magic School Bus and Arthur. They grew out of MSB around age 10, but dd12 still watches Cyberchase occasionally, and she and ds15 still watch Arthur almost daily :)

:iagree: Hate Disney tween shows. Terrible values, I hate to say :tongue_smilie:

Some don't like it because of the older sister, but we are big fans of Phineas and Ferb.

:iagree: We LOVE it!!! All of us Love Phineas and Ferb. My teens sometimes watch it at night without the little guys.:D

My boys have been watching Ruby Gloom...not my favorite...sort of Addams Familyish cartoon.

The kids also like old TV re-runs...Little Rascals, Andy Griffith, Bugs Bunny, and Warner Brothers cartoos (violent...but we survived...and our sense of humor was definitely made better by those shows)