Menu

For those using AoPS Intro to Algebra

I was wondering how self-teaching the AoPS curriculum was. Here's why:

DS11 is really good at math & is 3/4 of the way thru completing 6th & 7th grade advanced math thru Florida Virtual School in one year. I'm thinking of switching him to AoPS for Intro to Algebra, since he loves math & is really good at it (earned an A in all 3 segments of FLVS class so far).

The problem: I am not mathy & cannot help him (and do not want to relearn Algebra, which is why I outsourced the math to FLVS for 6th grade). My solution would be to have DS15 be his tutor, as needed. DS15 does not particularly like math, but has earned A's & B's in all his honors level FLVS classes, incl. Algebra I, Geometry & Algebra II. I was hoping that DS15 could teach/tutor DS11 as needed, which would also be a great review for DS15 as he prepares for SAT testing. However, I don't want this to be overly time-consuming. I know AoPS has videos online to correspond w/ their Alg. I textbook, so that would help as well. (And of course, there's always Khan Academy.)

Any thoughts on if this seems doable? And, as a very low-on-the-list priority, could this tutoring be counted as an extracurricular activity on DS15's high school transcript?

I have a rising 7th grader who is mostly self-teaching AOPS Pre-algebra. I suggest checking out AOPS pre-algebra for an 11 y.o. before doing their algebra. Download the pre-algebra post-test from AOPS website and make sure your 11 y.o. can ace it before you brush this suggestion aside.

AOPS marches to it's own drummer. Because the pre-algebra book is for gifted kids, it includes topics from "traditional" algebra, and the algebra book includes topics from traditional "algebra II."

Be sure to set expectations that the algebra I book in particular may take more than one school year if attempted at a young age.

I tried AOPS algebra "too early" with my now-14 y.o. DD--you need serious skills at manipulating polynomials by chapter 2. Before they published their own pre-algebra text, AOPS used to recommend young students complete an easier algebra I course before attempting theirs.

The best self-teaching aids are the videos on the AOPS website-- Khan academy has greater quantity, but the AOPS ones are much higher quality! Second-best teaching aid is signing up for an alcumus account, and setting "follow book" to the book you are using. My DD loves, loves, loves alcumus.

I don't know how to evaluate your older son's abilities as a tutor. Make sure he has a copy of the solutions manual. If it doesn't work out, you could try an online class at AOPS.

--Janet

I have a rising 7th grader who is mostly self-teaching AOPS Pre-algebra. I suggest checking out AOPS pre-algebra for an 11 y.o. before doing their algebra.

:iagree:

The discovery based method of AoPS is so different from other curricula that I think going through their pre-algebra first is helpful, especially for a young student. Unlike other pre-algebra programs, it really teaches the "why" behind math, and requires the student to have the persistence to tackle tough problems on their own.

My 10yo did AoPS pre-algebra this year (with the online class), even though he could easily have rolled into Intro to Algebra, and I'm very glad we did it. He's now doing very well into Intro to Algebra, and pretty much self-teaches, though he'll occasionally ask one of my teens to work through something with him.

Janet, thanks SO much for your insights. I did have DS take the AoPS pre-algebra post-test & he did struggle with some of their sample problems. It might be worth it to start here, as he can quickly move thru topics he already knows & spend more time on topics new to him. Thanks for the heads up about Alcumus as well. I had forgotten about this.

Sailmom, it sounds like you've already been down the path I'm about to take. My hope is that DS11 can mostly self teach, w/ DS15 helping out as needed.

Since we will be starting out w/ the prealgebra rather than algebra, it might be worth it for me to relearn some of the basics along w/ DS so I can at least help/oversee until he's ready to tackle Intro to Algebra (at which point I'll bail out of math & rely exclusively on DS15, Alcumus, Khan Academy, etc.). But I'm confident that DS11 will be able to hold his own most of the time. He's very determined when it comes to math.

My youngest, just turned 11, sounds very similar. He's been through several middle school programs (Teaching Text. ALEKS, Life of Fred, Thinkwell, KHAN) in attempt to keep him interested and involved without pushing too hard and fast. We discovered AoP and I've emailed Richard a few times. He was very helpful and had several good suggestion regarding the order of curriculum. Recently, we stated chapter one and are moving slowly through it.

In regard to self-teaching, your child will have to show restraint and not jump ahead too soon. A good bit of this curriculum is designed to encourage students to work through problems they will need to stretch to understand. If your son isn't one who will challenge himself, he may not get the most from the program that he could.

I agree that the videos available on AoP and KHAN are great for helping with self-teaching. However, I think that at the very least you will need to be involved in steering him in the right direction