Menu

If you were going to create a Khan Academy-esq video series

...would you do it using an i-pad or the set-up Khan uses (which is essentially a Camtasia Recorder, SmoothDraw3 and a Wacom Bamboo Tablet)?

I understand that the Bamboo tablet has a learning curve to it. I must be able to record up to a half hour and post to YouTube. Would the ipad work as well?

Any ideas are appreciated! I have no iPad or any other equipment at this point.

ETA: -esque, I meant -esque..... :(

Edited by Susan in KY
grrrr

Ds14 (aka Tech Support) says that you should use the Wacom Bamboo tablet and not the Ipad. He says that it is worth the money. (He doesn't have one but has used one in a store.) He's not sure about the Camtasia - he says that it if it only used for filming, then use Fraps instead. Fraps is designed for taking videos of video games and is light on system resources. He doesn't know about SmoothDraw.

Thanks, Jean, for this answer. I am going for a black-screen type deal, not a picture-type video. Why does your son think the bamboo tablet the better choice? I am concerned about not being able to see what I am writing. On the flip side, I am concerned that the iPad won't be able to do what I need it to.

Thanks, Jean, for this answer. I am going for a black-screen type deal, not a picture-type video. Why does your son think the bamboo tablet the better choice? I am concerned about not being able to see what I am writing. On the flip side, I am concerned that the iPad won't be able to do what I need it to.

He didn't think that the iPad would be able to do what you wanted it to. There may be other options than the Bamboo. He messed around with it a bit and said that it didn't take him too long to start to get the hang of it.

Guest JoeWagner

One way to make simple Khan Academy videos is through an iPad app called ShowMe. You can see lots of examples at ShowMe.com. Wacam tablets work great, too, but if you are looking for something simpler to get started, ShowMe may be the way to go.

-Joe Wagner

Founder, Backpack TV

http://www.backpack.tv

Edited by JoeWagner

You get used to not "seeing" what you're doing. I look at the screen to see what I'm doing, not at my hand, if that makes sense.

I'm not sure with your video software you are talking about if you see on the screen "live" what you're drawing. I use it for something quite different from that.

Another option: PowerPoint slides or PDFs with audio. That is how I make my phonics movies. They compress really well with QuickTime. You can also make a YouTube of them, although I do not to keep the copyright secure, but I have made a YouTube with the same format.

I use 1 frame per second, although most of my slides last at least 3 seconds.

I make the movies in iMovie, but make the slides in power point or word.