Menu

"Dinna fash yourself"

Don't you just love Jamie?! Bring on the kilts.

I wish I could read those books again for the first time.

:001_wub: Someone else will have to post your man-in-kilt prize picture, as I am currently unable to. I'm on The Fiery Cross.

Ooh! Me too!

I wanted something a bit mindless but also long for my trip to Africa and I'd heard for years they were fun, so I loaded the first two on my Kindle and haven't been able to stop. I finished the last one a couple of days ago actually.

Anyone want to commiserate with me about that last book, by the way? The rest of them felt like they managed to wrap things up at least to some extent. That one ends MID-CONVERSATION and with one character (possibly two, actually) in MORTAL PERIL! What? No! Beyond being annoying for the readers, that's just bad writing, right?

"Sassenach?"

"Yes?"

"Ye know the fortress I told ye of, the one inside me?"

"I remember."

He smiled without opening his eyes, and reached out a hand for me.

"Well, I've a lean-to built, at least. And a roof to keep out the rain."

:001_wub:

I saw the thread title and thought "Now where do I know that from???"

Thanks for the reminder ladies :)

Ooh! Me too!

I wanted something a bit mindless but also long for my trip to Africa and I'd heard for years they were fun, so I loaded the first two on my Kindle and haven't been able to stop. I finished the last one a couple of days ago actually.

Anyone want to commiserate with me about that last book, by the way? The rest of them felt like they managed to wrap things up at least to some extent. That one ends MID-CONVERSATION and with one character (possibly two, actually) in MORTAL PERIL! What? No! Beyond being annoying for the readers, that's just bad writing, right?

This. I was bummed when the book ended like that. Poor Jem. If I am remembering correctly, I got the impression after reading the book that Jem was only held in a room or cupboard somewhere and not actually taken through the portal.

Do any of you read the spin-off books? The ones about Lord Grey (I think that's his name)

I saw the thread title and thought "Now where do I know that from???"

Thanks for the reminder ladies :)

This. I was bummed when the book ended like that. Poor Jem. If I am remembering correctly, I got the impression after reading the book that Jem was only held in a room or cupboard somewhere and not actually taken through the portal.

Do any of you read the spin-off books? The ones about Lord Grey (I think that's his name)

I've read them, and I liked them, but not like I love the Outlander books. Her latest one, The Scottish Prisoner, is excellent! Lots of Jamie Fraser!! :D

Is it sad that I didn't have to actually read your post? I'm scrolling through the board, see the title and my first thought is "Oh, someone is reading Outlander..." :lol:

Now, where did DS1 put my Kindle? I want to read it now....:D

:iagree:First thing that came to my mind.

I really wish I could like them, because they have such a loyal following.

Perhaps this summer I'll try again.

Me, too. I've checked the first one out from the library a couple of times and just can't get into it.

I thought of The Secret Garden. Does someone say that to Mary? It's been so long I'm not sure.

I'm one of those people whose vocabulary changes with whatever book I'm reading. Anyone want to guess what I'm reading right now that would cause me to say that to my 7yo?

I read your post title and said out loud Outlander. Ah, Jamie...:001_wub:

Gonna go read the rest of the post to see if I got it right!

I picked up a lot of the the lingo while I was reading them, and I will still sometimes tell people "I dinna kin". There for a while my dh was having to translate for me. LOL

Oh, and both my dds are named after characters in the books. :D I'm not a big fan of the books or anything. Honest. Who you gonna believe, me or your lying eyes? :tongue_smilie:

Edited by mlbuchina

I must not read enough :tongue_smilie: I hadn't heard of those books. My first thought was the Disc World books...or Wee Free Men specifically. For a while, after we read it aloud, I spent a lot of time saying "Crivens" and calling the kids "Wee beasties". ODS has never been so glad to start a new read aloud :lol:

:001_wub: Jamie :001_wub:

My younger ds is named after an Outlander character....but dh wouldn't even discuss the possibility of Jamie as a name. Jamie Fraser is quite possibly the only man dh has ever been truly jealous of....and he's fictional! :lol:

(For the record, dh has read and loved all of the Outlander series! :tongue_smilie:)

:001_wub: Jamie :001_wub:

My younger ds is named after an Outlander character....but dh wouldn't even discuss the possibility of Jamie as a name. Jamie Fraser is quite possibly the only man dh has ever been truly jealous of....and he's fictional! :lol:

(For the record, dh has read and loved all of the Outlander series! :tongue_smilie:)

That is awesome. :D

I must not read enough :tongue_smilie: I hadn't heard of those books. My first thought was the Disc World books...or Wee Free Men specifically. For a while, after we read it aloud, I spent a lot of time saying "Crivens" and calling the kids "Wee beasties". ODS has never been so glad to start a new read aloud :lol:

That's what I thought it was going to be! I assumed it was something PTerry had made up!

Edited by freerange
typing on phone

Don't you just love Jamie?! Bring on the kilts.

I wish I could read those books again for the first time.

Is it sad that I didn't have to actually read your post? I'm scrolling through the board, see the title and my first thought is "Oh, someone is reading Outlander..."

I saw the title and thought, "Jamie!!!" :D

Love those books!

Those are my favorite books in the world!!!

It's the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, gardening momma. And heck yes, Jamie wears a kilt!

:iagree:

I have the HUGEST crush on Jamie! :001_wub::drool5: That is my all time favorite series EVER.

I tried, I really tried. I enjoyed Lord John Grey in the Outlander series but on his own he was a little too much for me.

Her latest one, The Scottish Prisoner, is excellent! Lots of Jamie Fraser!! :D

I tried, I really tried. I enjoyed Lord John Grey in the Outlander series but on his own he was a little too much for me.

:iagree:Me too. I loved Outlander and my love tapered with each sequel, the Lord John Grey series just doesn't do it for me.

Read them yourself!! But I'm not really a fan of audiobooks in general. :001_smile:

I'm with you. And I have a very specific idea of what that Scottish Noise sounds like, and I don't want somebody else's interpretation to mess it up for me. :)

Okay, I saw that there was a preview of the next book at the end of The Scottish Prisoner, so I read that... eh. Lord John is boring on his own. And the preview literally continued each scene at the end of the last book in equally frustrating fashion. It's like she's now writing with ADD or something. These two people are doing this... ooh, look! Squirrel!...

Okay, I saw that there was a preview of the next book at the end of The Scottish Prisoner, so I read that... eh. Lord John is boring on his own. And the preview literally continued each scene at the end of the last book in equally frustrating fashion. It's like she's now writing with ADD or something. These two people are doing this... ooh, look! Squirrel!...

And you just know that squirrel is about to get an arrow right between the eyes.

I don't really love John Grey as a character. I don't think I'll ever read that series. It's Claire's perspective that makes the books extra special. I don't like it very much when the author switches out of Claire's first person. I understand why she does it, but I prefer it the other way.

Read them yourself!! But I'm not really a fan of audiobooks in general. :001_smile:

As for the John Grey books... for the most part they're "eh" by themselves, but I enjoy them just because I like the extra insight into his character. He's one of those characters that grow on you (at least he was for me...) I couldn't hardly stand him when he was fist introduced, but by the end of An Echo in the Bone I found myself quite fond of him. I just (finally!) got my hands on a copy of The Scottish Prisoner and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It has a very nice balance of Jamie and Lord Grey.

And you just know that squirrel is about to get an arrow right between the eyes.

Or violently abused by a vicious, lusty male squirrel.

I actually really like John Gray... I just think he's only interesting in the context of Claire and Jamie.