Menu

Picc line experience?

No need to freak out. A nurse will likely come to tend to the line. My grandma had one for a while, and the nurse came as long as her insurance would cover it, and on her last 3 visits, she showed me how to change the dressing on the line properly. It does seem scary at first, though!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

A PICC line is a peripherally inserted central catheter. The insertion is no more painful than a regular IV stick and it can stay in much longer than a regular IV. They can also draw lab work from it too. If you need fluids or medication for more than a couple of days I would go with it!

PICC lines are good because it means you don't have to keep getting IVs placed over and over. It also means you require less medication, since you stay hydrated & nourished.

There is a very small infection risk. But if it looks at all infected, they take it out right away & replace it & give antibiotics. I've seen this happen once with no ill effects.

Isn't there a big infection risk? Am I just a chicken?:confused:

There is a small infection risk, but as long as it is cleaned every time it is used the risk is small. They use PICC lines in cancer patients who cannot fight off infections easily, so it should not be a big deal for an orthwise healthy person. It is scary, but it will be easier than getting stuck daily. :grouphug:

There is a small infection risk, but as long as it is cleaned every time it is used the risk is small. They use PICC lines in cancer patients who cannot fight off infections easily, so it should not be a big deal for an orthwise healthy person. It is scary, but it will be easier than getting stuck daily. :grouphug:

That makes sense.

My dd who had cancer had a PICC line during the time that her port became infected. I think they're great. My advice? Buy the stuff from Wal-Mart that seals your line in so you can shower, and don't watch when they thread or remove the line.

PICC lines can really save your veins, especially if you're fighting dehydration (which makes it harder to get a good stick). I'd get a PICC line in a heartbeat.

My dd who had cancer had a PICC line during the time that her port became infected. I think they're great. My advice? Buy the stuff from Wal-Mart that seals your line in so you can shower, and don't watch when they thread or remove the line.

PICC lines can really save your veins, especially if you're fighting dehydration (which makes it harder to get a good stick). I'd get a PICC line in a heartbeat.

Wow, it'd be nice to shower easily!

Ok, good to know. I really appreciate the input, guys!

I went through Hyperemesis, which almost cost me my life. Things went VERY wrong...

I ended up so traumatized (as did dh) that we refused the PICC line. Looking back, we made a huge mistake. My veins were so "used" by my 34th week that I needed to be induced (by that time I was routinely receiving IVs in my feet, after 5+ attempts to find a vein...!).

The PICC would probaby have facilitated a more stable (and longer!) pregnancy.

All the best to you!

There is risk, but not a "big" risk. The only "big" risk (i.e. something rather terrible) I've seen if from central TPN lines, given for years at a time to people who have no stomach and small intestine left. They are getting complete food, which bacteria love.

I'd be more chicken about being so dehydrated I miscarried.

There is risk, but not a "big" risk. The only "big" risk (i.e. something rather terrible) I've seen if from central TPN lines, given for years at a time to people who have no stomach and small intestine left. They are getting complete food, which bacteria love.

I'd be more chicken about being so dehydrated I miscarried.

Well, I'm pretty uncomfortable with that thought, too. :(

I just saw this. :sad:

My mom had a PICC line put in when her veins were no good due to dehydration. It was an excellent choice.

Please don't watch. I wouldn't watch ANY medical procedure.;)

I am so sorry things are difficult. I hope you are well hydrated SOON!!!

I just saw this. :sad:

My mom had a PICC line put in when her veins were no good due to dehydration. It was an excellent choice.

Please don't watch. I wouldn't watch ANY medical procedure.;)

I am so sorry things are difficult. I hope you are well hydrated SOON!!!

Thanks, Denise!:grouphug:

My dad has had a PICC for 5 years and will for a long time to come. He says it's no biggie. He got it put in his left arm so he can administer all his own IVs. He's a pro! His nurse comes out once a week to check it, flush it, and make sure all is running fine.

Good luck!

We were actually told the PICC line has a much lower infection risk then most IV lines. DS has one right now and it is wonderful, we don't have to worry about them finding a new line when his old ones collapse from use, we don't need to worry about him having extraneous sticks, and it took them less then 10 minutes to insert it. It is really easy to use and it looks easy to take care of as well (he is in PICU, so the nurses take care of it for us).

We were actually told the PICC line has a much lower infection risk then most IV lines. DS has one right now and it is wonderful, we don't have to worry about them finding a new line when his old ones collapse from use, we don't need to worry about him having extraneous sticks, and it took them less then 10 minutes to insert it. It is really easy to use and it looks easy to take care of as well (he is in PICU, so the nurses take care of it for us).

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I had a Picc line last year while undergoing chemo for 6 months.

It was absolutely fine going in - to be honest, I was freaked out and so nervous, but it was fine, fine,fine. No problems! :001_smile:They gave me some Ativan to relax me, and the procedure probably took 5-10 mins absolute maximum.

Unfortunately, I had a latex allergy :tongue_smilie:, so the dressings used over the line reacted with my skin. We used several different ones, but nothing made much difference. At the end of 3.5 months, my skin had HAD. E.Nough! It was weeping & the dressing wouldn't stay on for more than an hour. Needless to say - I got an infection, and the Dr had to take it out. I also freaked about taking it out, which again, was no biggie at all. :001_smile:

They put another one in the other arm. I'm sure the chemo had lowered my body's defenses so much that that arm also reacted by weeping. This lasted 2 weeks before I got a staph infection that landed me in hospital for a week. From then I had my chemo directly into the veins for 8 weeks, which really did a number on them.

I don't mean all this to scare you - just my experience, and probably not the experience of 90% of users. In summary - the Picc line is easy in, easy out (even for a freak-a-phobe like me:tongue_smilie:), and much better and easier than a normal IV line, and I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine if you're not allergic to latex.:001_smile: Also, you're not having chemo, which was a big factor in my problems!

Good luck with it - I think you'll be glad you did! Much better than being poked all the time!

I've had them 4 separate times. They rock!

I did have one get infected, after the stupid nurse at my OB's office drew blood from it. As she was flushing it, she said "That was hard to draw up out of the bottle." She had flushed it with irrigation saline instead of IV saline. GRRR. Got staph in it. But once they pulled it and gave me ABX I was fine.

They are a little more painful than an IV to have placed, IMO. And it may be sore for a day or two.

But it was soooo nice with my last c/s to not be stuck for an IV 15-20 times. No IV in my neck either! And labs can be drawn from it as well. You just have to flush it twice a day at home. No biggie.

Much better than a subclavian central line too!

I had a Picc line last year while undergoing chemo for 6 months.

It was absolutely fine going in - to be honest, I was freaked out and so nervous, but it was fine, fine,fine. No problems! :001_smile:They gave me some Ativan to relax me, and the procedure probably took 5-10 mins absolute maximum.

Unfortunately, I had a latex allergy :tongue_smilie:, so the dressings used over the line reacted with my skin. We used several different ones, but nothing made much difference. At the end of 3.5 months, my skin had HAD. E.Nough! It was weeping & the dressing wouldn't stay on for more than an hour. Needless to say - I got an infection, and the Dr had to take it out. I also freaked about taking it out, which again, was no biggie at all. :001_smile:

They put another one in the other arm. I'm sure the chemo had lowered my body's defenses so much that that arm also reacted by weeping. This lasted 2 weeks before I got a staph infection that landed me in hospital for a week. From then I had my chemo directly into the veins for 8 weeks, which really did a number on them.

I don't mean all this to scare you - just my experience, and probably not the experience of 90% of users. In summary - the Picc line is easy in, easy out (even for a freak-a-phobe like me:tongue_smilie:), and much better and easier than a normal IV line, and I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine if you're not allergic to latex.:001_smile: Also, you're not having chemo, which was a big factor in my problems!

Good luck with it - I think you'll be glad you did! Much better than being poked all the time!

I have a severe latex allergy and there are some great non-latex dressings now! No blistering or itching!

Oh, and here's how I covered it when I took a bath:

Take a large latex (or non-latex in my case), and cut off the fingers (not the thumb). Slide the rest up over your picc, making sure all the line is folded up around your arm, under the glove. Put a strip of tape around the top and bottom, sealing it in (kind of like the armband the Nazi's wore). Done! When you're finished, just peel off the tape and slide the glove cuff off.

Oh, and here's how I covered it when I took a bath:

Take a large latex (or non-latex in my case), and cut off the fingers (not the thumb). Slide the rest up over your picc, making sure all the line is folded up around your arm, under the glove. Put a strip of tape around the top and bottom, sealing it in (kind of like the armband the Nazi's wore). Done! When you're finished, just peel off the tape and slide the glove cuff off.

This is genius. Last night my husband wrapped my arm in Saran wrap, which worked.... But I couldn't bend it at all. :lol: