Menu

Blood sugar question: What does this number mean?

So there is someone I know who has said his blood sugar level is "over 7." I have no idea what that mean in relation to the actual number measured at over 100 is bad and under 100 is good.

Can someone decipher that 7 for me? I can't really find anything on Google except for how to reduce Type II.

I don't know. What is an A1c number?

ETA: That looks like that may be it. I found this. Which isn't helpful with knowing what the actual numbers are. Looks like "over 7" could mean 102 or it could mean 428.

Edited by Parrothead

Sounds like they are talking about their A1c level? A1c gives a picture of the average glucose level I've the last 3 months a number over 7 is high.

Yes this is high. When my diabetic mil's number comes out to this number at her checkups she starts complaining about the doctors and how they "don't know nothin'!" Which is a clear sign they have told her to get better control of it - meaning she's been eating too many cakes, cookies and chocolate bars.

hth

It may be the European mmol/L number - the US is mg/dL.

A 7mmol/L is a US mg/L reading of 126mg/dL.

Yes, this is what I've heard it to be. Multiply the number by 18 and you will get the American equivalent. Or divide the American bg number by 18 to get the European equivalent.

And, the American A1c, for whatever reason, is done the European way.