Menu

Classic short story lit program for 8th grader reading 1-2 yr below grade level?

ereks mom

I'm looking for a complete, open & go, high interest, classic short story lit program for my rising 8th grader who reads on a late 6th to beginning 7th grade level. By complete, I mean, it comes with lesson plans for the teacher, including discussion questions, and all materials for the student: textbook with short story selections, workbook or notebook with written vocabulary, comprehension, critical thinking, and writing assignments. What have you got for me? ;)

ETA: I also plan to incorporate 2 or 3 novel studies into her course of study, so it would definitely be a bonus if there was a literature program that met the above criteria and incorporated a couple of novel studies.

Edited by ereks mom

I'm looking for a complete, open & go, high interest, classic short story lit program for my rising 8th grader who reads on a late 6th to beginning 7th grade level. By complete, I mean, it comes with lesson plans for the teacher, including discussion questions, and all materials for the student: textbook with short story selections, workbook or notebook with written vocabulary, comprehension, critical thinking, and writing assignments. What have you got for me? ;)

Jamestown Best Short Stories? I used Introductory Level (grades 5-6) with my older two when they were in 6th, and I'm going to use it again with my rising 6th grader next year. They also have Middle Level for grades 7-8.

I thought the selection of stories was very good. There are comprehension and discussion questions included, as well as writing assignments. Each short story's lesson materials focus on one literary element (plot, theme, character, setting, etc.) It's definitely open-and-go.

You can get it from Hewitt Homeschooling or used at Amazon. I bought the text from Amazon, but I could only find the answer key to the comprehension and discussion questions from Hewitt.

Have you looked at Kolbe Academy's literature programs? They have one for 4-6 and one for Jr. High. They are expensive, though not so bad since they cover multiple years. I have the jr. high program. It is very complete and has all the teacher answers/plot summaries/etc.

Modsos fits your requirements. This is the sixth grade "Pearl" level. Those little squares below the "test master" listing on the order page are links to lesson samples. I told them last year that it would be helpful if they noted that on their website--clearly I have a lot of pull around there. The workbook doesn't seem very popular, but it is chock full of good stuff, including critical reading and writing activities. I find it to be well worth the money.

Terri