Menu

How many books do you have going right now?

How many books are you reading right now?  

1. 1. How many books are you reading right now?

• 5-10
    • 11+

Fun poll time. I'm curious about how many books you are reading at the moment. Exclude your read alouds and books that you are pre-reading for school, unless it's a book that you would read for pleasure anyways. I hope that makes sense. I have 4 right now.

The Chosen- Chaim Potok

Sacred Marriage- Gary Thomas

The Shack- William P. Young

In Search of the Source- Neil Anderson

Okay,

just finished typing all the books I am reading With italics and everything and then lost the whole thing. Oh well....

A church in the House Matthew Henry Ed. by Scott Brown

A Time to be Borne Compiled by Dianna Overholt and Sue Hooley

Home Educated and Now Adults Brian D. Ray, PH. D.

From Rebellion to Redemption Randal Working

Family Driven Faith Voddie Baucham Jr.

What's Darwin Got to do With it? Robert C Newman & John L. Wiester

What I really need is an easy read for diversion :001_smile:

Pam

Six at present:

Fit Kids!: The Complete Shape-Up Program from Birth Through High School - Kenneth H. Cooper, M.D.

Study is Hard Work - William H. Armstrong (borrowed from Dee in MI)

On Becoming an Educated Person - Virginia Voeks (also borrowed from Dee in MI)

Darwin’s Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life - Daniel C. Dennett (slogging through this tome - quite heavy reading)

Michigan: A History of the Wolverine State - Willis F. Dunbar and George S. May

The Origin of Species - Charles Darwin (fascinating, but not a quick & easy bathtub read)

Five

1. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Kingsolver

2. Wayward Christian Soldiers by Marsh (it is taking me an abnormally long time to get through; thought provoking, I guess)

3. Equation for Ecellence: How to Make Your Kids Excel at Math by Vohra (I am really finding this helpful and highly recommend it)

4. The Journals of Lewis and Clark edited by DeVoto

5. The Best of James Herriot by Herriot (also lots of fun; I began reading this for myself, but may just start over and do it as a read aloud... it's really long, though)

Plus, our anniversary was yesterday, and dh and I spend it at the book store spending gift money on more books (after enjoying an amazing lunch at a Lebanese restaurant) plus I am waiting for a couple Amazon orders to come in with a mix of school, work and pleasure reading stuff (purchased with birthday money) plus I already have a pile of at least 4 more books I am restraining myself from starting before I finish something in my current stack.

I think I'm addicted. :D

I'm currently reading 2 if you don't include my constant need to re-read parts of TWTM to make sure I'm not going to screw up my kids with next years plans :lol:

I usually keep a book upstairs and a book downstairs so that I don't have to remember where I last put it down. I read whenever I get a free minute so it's usually only 5-10 minutes here or there until the kids go to bed.

Downstairs I'm currently reading "Marley and Me: Life and love with the world's worst dog" by John Grogan for the second time. I love this book, it gives me a good laugh.

Upstairs I'm reading "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" for the 3rd time. I just can't get enough of Harry and now that there are no more books to look forward to and no new movie in the near future I keep reading through the series.

I also have "Mr. Blandings Builds his dream House" which I just recently got from Amazon. It's my favorite movie so I thought I'd finally read the book. I'll probably start that when I'm finished with "Marley and Me"

The Bible

Otherland by Tad Williams

Gotham Writer's Workshop

The Illiad

Don Quioxte

Beowulf

The Story of King Arthur and his Knights

Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut

I really don't know what has gotten into me, I usually don't have this many books going on at once, but I guess I've been moving towards it for awhile. I'll finish and move on to more eventually. I am finally realizing that I need short bursts of information to truly retain it.

Does the RR catalog count as a book? ;)

Actually, I'm reading nothing right now because I just finished a book I was reading (People of the Book -- excellent story, btw). I have quite a few books on my 'to read' list, but haven't started anything yet. My mind is fried right now (a few stressful & very busy weeks here) & I'm thinking I need some mental candy for my next read....

Any suggestions?

Les Miserables. Victor Hugo

Cranford. Elizabeth Gaskell

Dinosaurs on the Roof. David Rabe

Split Estate. Charlotte Bacon

Everything That Rises Must Converge. Flannery O'Connor.

Oops. That's five. I voted four. I'll have to ignore Les Mis for awhile.

Canterbury tales

Politics of Aristotle

I'm just creeping along on both of these - only a few pages a day. I try to keep one imaginative and one, what?, didactic? book going all of the time. (I could just say fiction and non-fiction, I suppose.)

I have also been reading the Boorstin Discoverers/Creators/Seekers trilogy. I finished Discoverers and am about halfway through Creators and Seekers. These are awesome - a liberal education in themselves.

I'm "reading" Jack London on my mp3 player as I run. I listened to To Build a Fire this morning, for a second time. If you read only one Jack London story, make it this one. If you read or watch "Into the Wild", a book I also liked, then read "To Build a Fire", too. It's interesting to think of that poor, tragic kid being a Jack London fan, having probably read this, his most famous short story, then hopping out of a local oldtimer's truck and, against his advice, walking so ill-prepared into the Alaskan wilderness.

Read aloud is Peter and the Secret of Rundoon.

We just finished True Grit. The book was good, and the movie was pretty faithful to the book. The movie was actually better.

Pride and Predjudice by Jane Austen...again

TWEM

Classics for Pleasure by Michael Dirda

The Life of Elizabeth I by Alison Weir

Honey for a Women's Heart by Gladys Hunt

Plus two others on hold at the library.

I always have multiples on my nightstand and read from all of them at least every other day. I usually have just 1 fiction book though.

Is that the same Barna that does the polls and if so is the book about one? Curious.

BTW I just borrowed The Shack from my sil. Now I am reading even more books. :001_smile:

Pam

I'm enjoying the book so far. It's an eye-opening look at cutting-edge Christianity.

Here is some info about the book from the Barna Group's website:

There is a new breed of Christ-follower in America today. These are people who are more interested in being the Church than in going to church. They are more eager to produce fruit for the kingdom of God than to become comfortable in the Christian subculture. They are focused on the seven spiritual passions that facilitate their growth as genuine people of God and citizens of the kingdom. These people are Revolutionaries.

In this courageous new book from bestselling author and renowned researcher George Barna, you will read the results of his studies that have discovered and described a growing national population of more than 20 million adults who are committed to living their faith and making God the top priority in their life. Some are doing so through the ministries of a local church, but many are not. The emphasis is upon allowing God to transform them in every aspect of their life.

This groundswell of spiritual passion and intensity is likely to amount to a Third Great Awakening in the United States, but with a very different look, feel and outcome than previous religious upheavals. In many ways, this new move back to God is designed to return the American Church to its roots - its first-century roots, as depicted in Acts 2.

Topics addressed in this book include:

1. The call to the Church

2. The seven passions of Revolutionaries

3. The current state of the local church

4. Confusion over Church and church

5. Significant cultural trends

6. The emerging spiritual landscape

7. Evidence of God through spiritual min-movements

8. Transformation in today’s world

9. Alternative forms of "doing church"

10. Jesus the Revolutionary

11. The motivations and behaviors of Revolutionaries

12. The impact of the Revolution

13. Characteristics of Revolutionaries

14. Common criticisms of Revolutionaries

15. Affirmations of a Revolutionary

16. How local churches can respond to the Revolution

If you think you are a Revolutionary Christian, this book will encourage you. If you are interested in the future of the Church - and the local church - this book will inform you. If you are a leader in a local church, this book will challenge you. If you are searching for your place in the kingdom of God, this book will guide you.

From the inside flap of the book:

A Revolution is a fundamental change. A paradigm shift in the way a person views and interacts with his or her world. According to years' worth of data collected by George Barna, the church is about to see the biggest Revolution of our time.

For thousands of years, Christians have been inventing church, but neglecting to be the church Christ commissioned. Droves of committed believers are foregoing Sunday mornings to live a 24/7 faith unfettered by the clutter and bureaucracy within the church walls.

In stark contrast to both the stuffy, formulaic religiosity sometimes found in the established church and the feel-good, invent-your-own spirituality, the Revolution is casting off anything that hinders a full, vibrant life of discipleship to Christ.