Menu

x/p (kind of): 5th/6th grade plans

Autumn will be repeating 5th grade this fall in some subjects... with the ultimate goal being to enroll her after Christmas or fall of the next year in a Catholic school that has a new program for dyslexics! I'm super excited about this!

Tentatively, this is what we have planned:

Math: CLE 6, AOPS pre-algebra (I'm hesitating on AOPS; while she is naturally very good at math, AOPS is heavy on reading and I'm not sure it wouldn't frustrate her too much)

History/Geography: All Ye Lands (hesitating again because we need to do world history/geography so she doesn't fall behind what the others at the school are doing, but this is marketed for 6th grade reading level)

Science: Ellen McHenry's "Cells", "The Brain", and "Carbon Chemistry" (she is finishing "The Elements" now)

Logic: Logic Liftoff

Grammar/Writing: Hake 5 *or* Voyages in English 5 (1960's version)

Spelling: Apples and Pears book C

Literature... well, whatever she will read. She hates reading and I'm not looking for assign specific lit; preferring to concentrate on her picking out books that she may enjoy (fostering a desire to read).

Religion: Father Brown readers, St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism, Friendly Defender cards, lap books

Does everything look okay? We want history to have a heavy dose of Church history. Writing and spelling are her very weak areas; science and math are her very strong areas.

Just an encouragement post, in that my oldest "repeated" 5th this year and its been a great idea. He continued to do higher level math and science and spend hours on his music daily, but has slogged along in spelling and writing, and his reading is now grade level but still slow so its hard to do the amount that a classical middle school education involves. Even in math he has "slowed down" some, because I am trying to get him more independent which means he has to read the stuff himself...but I think he'll go into algebra by or before his now 8th grade year confidently, rather than me still sitting there reading for him.

Spelling continues to be his weakest, but as other skills develop he can now access technologies to compensate - again, without me always there...

Anyhow, your daughter, like my son, is on the young side for her previous grade, and for dyslexics, confidence to do the "hard work" is huge! I wish you luck.

Erin

How exciting that you found a Catholic school with a program for dyslexics! I would just suggest that if you are thinking about moving your child in the middle of the school year, you might want to contact principal or teacher to see what they are using. It might be easier to switch mid-year if the child is already familiar with the textbook and materials the class covered in history, science, math, etc.

Autumn will be repeating 5th grade this fall in some subjects... with the ultimate goal being to enroll her after Christmas or fall of the next year in a Catholic school that has a new program for dyslexics! I'm super excited about this!

Tentatively, this is what we have planned:

Math: CLE 6, AOPS pre-algebra (I'm hesitating on AOPS; while she is naturally very good at math, AOPS is heavy on reading and I'm not sure it wouldn't frustrate her too much)

Since this year is one of transition, I would be very sensitive to her frustration level.

History/Geography: All Ye Lands (hesitating again because we need to do world history/geography so she doesn't fall behind what the others at the school are doing, but this is marketed for 6th grade reading level)

I'll share our experience here. I have two dd's who have used From Sea to Shining Sea and one who has used All Ye Lands. Both are excellent readers (at least I have that to say about something. haha. :tongue_smilie:). The first used them in seventh and eighth grades in a coop setting and loved them. I think she developed a love of history because of them, too. The second used From Sea to Shining Sea in fifth grade, again in a coop. She read it or I read it aloud since she's an auditory learner, but she really had zero retention after finishing a chapter. The reading level was fine but she wasn't ready for the jam-packed content as a fifth grader. Next year we will be using All Ye Lands for her as a seventh grader, and I hope that goes better now that she's a little older. I really don't like that CHC recommends these books for fifth and sixth grades when the publisher recommends them from sixth to ninth, I think. I just think based on our and a friend's experience that you get more out of them at a higher age. However, you're in a special circumstance so I wouldn't worry so much about it. If your dd likes the look of the book, that would be a good start and I'd go with it.

Science: Ellen McHenry's "Cells", "The Brain", and "Carbon Chemistry" (she is finishing "The Elements" now)

Logic: Logic Liftoff

Grammar/Writing: Hake 5 *or* Voyages in English 5 (1960's version)

I had my oldest use the 1960's version of Voyages in English for one year in 7th grade. She did very well on all the exercises, but at the end of the year, she didn't know the parts of speech. :confused: She would have done better with something like Hake. She just needs constant review. How about your dd? If she's better with a mastery approach, go with Voyages, if you like it (it is a little dry.) If she needs frequent review, go with Hake. If she does well with CLE math, then Hake may be a good choice.

Spelling: Apples and Pears book C

Literature... well, whatever she will read. She hates reading and I'm not looking for assign specific lit; preferring to concentrate on her picking out books that she may enjoy (fostering a desire to read).

Religion: Father Brown readers, St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism, Friendly Defender cards, lap books

My kids really liked the Friendly Defenders. The don't like SJBC as much, but it's a staple around here.:001_smile:

Does everything look okay? We want history to have a heavy dose of Church history. Writing and spelling are her very weak areas; science and math are her very strong areas.

I wish I had a good, age appropriate recommendation for Church history. What periods are you looking to cover?

I hope my comments help a little. :)

Edited by NJKelli

How exciting that you found a Catholic school with a program for dyslexics! I would just suggest that if you are thinking about moving your child in the middle of the school year, you might want to contact principal or teacher to see what they are using. It might be easier to switch mid-year if the child is already familiar with the textbook and materials the class covered in history, science, math, etc.

:iagree:

I was just going to add read alouds, audio books, and typing. Have you considered hiring a private tutor to kick start the process? What reading program will the school be using?

Have you read The Dyslexic Advantage yet? It's a very good and inspiring book, filled with numerous brain related research citations.

6th grade plans for my Aspie guy, we school year round:

Finish Saxon 7/6 move to 8/7 late summer finish key to decimals move to percents

Grammar- starting CLE LA 6 but plan is still Hake 6 in fall, CC

Science and history: Intellego unit studies, CC

Geography- mapping the world by heart, CC

Writing- IEW w/CC plus the paragraph book, current writing tutor, journaling

Reading Comp- EPS's books

Spanish- probably breaking the barrier?

art- Walch education's 35 artists,

ASD therapy type items from Linguisystems

Hope to do social skills camp summer

CC in fall

Piano, some type of swim personal training, upper body strengthening

looking for computer program....?? Suggestions