Menu

After vomiting, rehydration question- Doctor Mom, come help me out

Ds had surgery 2 days ago. He was released yesterday afternoon. He dealt with some nauseousness yesterday, but of course, he was on IV fluids. Today he started throwing up at 3:30, and continued until 6:30 (about 5 episodes total). It took all that time for me to get through to his doctor and get Zofran prescribed and then picked up. At 6:30 he got the Zofran. I have been giving him 15ml of pedialite every 15 minutes since then. Is that enough? Is there a standard way to ramp him back up to full hydration? I remember years ago, his pediatrician told me as long as I could get 5ml in him every 5 min, that would keep him out of the hospital. Of course, that wasn't post op. I don't want to call the doctor. Kaiser has an inept call system that will have me on the phone punching in medical record numbers every other minute for the next 30.

He has no other complications. No fever, surgical sight looks good, ect. I'm an experienced post-op mom. We've never dealt with nausea like this before. Thanks,

What I'd like to know is if he has thrown up since you started giving him the 15ml liquid every 15 minutes? Because if he is keeping it down that's a good sign.

It's scary, I know. :grouphug:

:iagree: If he is keeping the 15 ml down, I would start increasing the amount, and see if he could keep more down each time.

What I'd like to know is if he has thrown up since you started giving him the 15ml liquid every 15 minutes? Because if he is keeping it down that's a good sign.

It's scary, I know. :grouphug:

One bout of heaving at 7:30, but nothing came up. His diaper is has been dry for 4 hours, which makes me nervous (although he does have a habit of holding for a long time, then letting loose). When/how should I increase?

:iagree: If he is keeping the 15 ml down, I would start increasing the amount, and see if he could keep more down each time.

:iagree: I know you said you don't want to call the doctor, but do you have a nurse hotline associated with your insurance company that you can call?

If you get an electrolyte powder that is mixable into water, you can control how much you are adding and increase the efficacy of smaller amounts of water to increase hydration. Short of IV fluids, the body takes longer to rehydrate completely than to dehydrate.

:iagree: I know you said you don't want to call the doctor, but do you have a nurse hotline associated with your insurance company that you can call?

My doctor and insurance company are one in the same (Kaiser). I could call, but truthfully, this is quicker. And likely more helpful.

I've been around the block a couple of hundred times on medical stuff, which is why I'm kind of shocked to find a gap in my knowledge. I didn't realize just how long it has been since I dealt with vomiting like this.

Believe me, I won't wait too long if he needs support. The ER is 5 min down the road and we'll bring him if he doesn't turn the corner.

We're at 1 1/2 hours with nothing coming up. I think I'm going to stay the course with 15ml/15min for at least a couple more hours.

dunno how old is your child, sound baby. so tonight mama give pedia lite, but more than that give your milk. if you are not nursing, then keep the pedia lite going. You can tell when their mouth has no mucus, if that is too dry to your touch, then baby's not hydrated. Other sign, is the lips, but if baby's had surgery then mouth might be chapped due to that.

5mls / 5-10 min is fine, and nursing, lots of nursing.

dunno how old is your child, sound baby. so tonight mama give pedia lite, but more than that give your milk. if you are not nursing, then keep the pedia lite going. You can tell when their mouth has no mucus, if that is too dry to your touch, then baby's not hydrated. Other sign, is the lips, but if baby's had surgery then mouth might be chapped due to that.

5mls / 5-10 min is fine, and nursing, lots of nursing.

Should have made that clear. This is my 12yo special needs dude. Thanks for the info!

One bout of heaving at 7:30, but nothing came up. His diaper is has been dry for 4 hours, which makes me nervous (although he does have a habit of holding for a long time, then letting loose). When/how should I increase?

I remember the dr. telling me that they can have 8 hours between urinations - so I wouldn't worry yet. I'm not sure, but I think you can start increasing the fluids after 4 hours.

Our doc taught us the fingernail test. Press down on your fingernail, see how the skin under it goes white? When you release it, it goes back to pink? Well, when you're dehydrated, it doesn't go back to pink. He said that, as long as the blood flow is responding (by going back to pink) then you're hydrated enough.

This little "test" has helped me sleep a little sounder on many a worrisome night. We have anaphylactic shock issues, and when my son reacts, he loses EVERYTHING in his system, for hours. Watching him recover, with the pasty white skin, glassy eyes and the deep sleep... let's just say that I have been known to sneak into his room and push down on his fingernails once an hour, through the night... ;)

4am and we're getting transferred/re-admitted. Been up 22 hours. He's doing much better, but his heart rate and seizures have not been great.

:grouphug: I hope things are starting to turn around for your ds, and you can get a bit of sleep this Mother's Day. I will keep you in my prayers.

Thanks for the prayers! Two hours of sleep and a cuP of bad coffe later, I'm feelin halfway human. He's doing well. Hard core rehydration happening today. He threw uP more right before his transfer, so food will be slow going. His heart rate is still looking funky, we're not sure what's up with that. Seizure settled way down. So it's a mixed bag, but mostly good.