Menu

About to curly up in a cozy chair with my new LOE manual!

lorisuewho

I went to convention, saw Logic of English, and bought most of it! I am so excited to get started! Plus I loved Denise Eide's presentation on strategies to use with children who cannot sit still. It was full of practical ideas that I will implement immediately with my little ones.

The manual looked so expensive to me on the website, but when I could see it in person and see how MUCH was in it, and see how well this program is organized, well then it seemed completely worth it to me. :001_smile:

I'll try to update after I have had time just to sit with it!

Plus I loved Denise Eide's presentation on strategies to use with children who cannot sit still. It was full of practical ideas that I will implement immediately with my little ones.

Could you expand on this please? Was this in a lecture she gave or in talking to her at her booth? :bigear::bigear::bigear: I so wanted to meet and speak with her but she will be in CA when our convention meets here in FL. :(

Could you expand on this please? Was this in a lecture she gave or in talking to her at her booth? :bigear::bigear::bigear: I so wanted to meet and speak with her but she will be in CA when our convention meets here in FL. :(

She gives a lecture at the convention. I went to that same lecture in Memphis, and I too enjoyed it a lot.

Her curriculum looks great. I'm just trying not to buy yet another phonics/spelling curriculum. :lol:

I went to one of her lectures; although that isn't quite the word for it since it was very interactive. I believe a lot of her ideas are in the game book. I'm really not a game player, but her ideas were so great and I just KNOW my children are going to love it. The game book you could use without even specifially using her program. However, I really like that in the Essentials curriculm guide, she references to the game book and gives suggestions on when to play what.

I'm so sorry you won't get to meet her in person. It was a true pleasure. She did say however, that she is planning to add more youtube videos.

I went to one of her lectures; although that isn't quite the word for it since it was very interactive. I believe a lot of her ideas are in the game book. I'm really not a game player, but her ideas were so great and I just KNOW my children are going to love it. The game book you could use without even specifially using her program. However, I really like that in the Essentials curriculm guide, she references to the game book and gives suggestions on when to play what.

I'm so sorry you won't get to meet her in person. It was a true pleasure. She did say however, that she is planning to add more youtube videos.

I would LOVE to sit in on one of her lectures. I do already own the game book, teachers manual and student workbook, plus "Uncovering the Logic of English." I love the game book and I know my son will too. I will be picking up a couple of other things when I go to the convention. I can't wait to get started with DS, but I am going to patiently wait until Fall. It's great to hear about additional youtube videos coming soon.

She gives a lecture at the convention. I went to that same lecture in Memphis, and I too enjoyed it a lot.

Her curriculum looks great. I'm just trying not to buy yet another phonics/spelling curriculum. :lol:

I was trying to do the same thing, but then I watched her 45 minute video. After that I ordered Uncovering the Logic of English. I read through chapter 14 the first night. I downloaded all the samples and was excited about what I saw. After a few weeks, I decided to take the plunge. :lol:

Jealous :D

I just got back from a convention and I didn't expect to want to buy it so badly. After talking with her and looking through all the materials, I really want to switch from SWR. Ugh but it is so much more expensive, since I already have SWR. But it is just SO "open and go" and I love that the lessons incorporate grammar. I need to really think through this and then my next step is to convince DH.

I can't wait to get started with DS, but I am going to patiently wait until Fall. It's great to hear about additional youtube videos coming soon.

I'm hoping to do the first 26 phonograms, with a focus on handwriting and using the game book this summer, with my three oldest. Hopefully, we will be ready to start lesson 1 in the fall. Although I'll only be using it with the oldest two.

I'm hoping to do the first 26 phonograms, with a focus on handwriting and using the game book this summer, with my three oldest. Hopefully, we will be ready to start lesson 1 in the fall. Although I'll only be using it with the oldest two.

I am working on teaching DS cursive this summer as that is the workbook I chose. He has been asking to learn cursive for a while now so this worked out prefect. We will also be using the game book to keep what he already knows fresh.

I just got back from a convention and I didn't expect to want to buy it so badly. After talking with her and looking through all the materials, I really want to switch from SWR. Ugh but it is so much more expensive, since I already have SWR. But it is just SO "open and go" and I love that the lessons incorporate grammar. I need to really think through this and then my next step is to convince DH.

Okay, there you go, SWR is a phonics curriculum I do not own! :lol:

I knew there had to be at least a few out there.

I had been saving money aside for quite a while before convention. I sold off books, and baby carriers, and cloth diapers. I hope I love it as much as I think I will.

I had been saving money aside for quite a while before convention. I sold off books, and baby carriers, and cloth diapers. I hope I love it as much as I think I will.

:lol: Yes, I sold books like crazy to get the money to purchase it.

I haven't sold any of my treasures to buy LOE. I'm waiting for some of you to get tired of a copy, that is scribbled on, coffee spilled, and comes from a house where the husband smokes and there are pets.

I collect phonics curriculum, but yucky ones, most of the time. It's only a matter of time before the newest shiny thing replaces LOE. LOE has some strong points, some VERY strong points, but...it has it's weaknesses too.

I had at least 5 spelling curricula spread out around McGuffey's today, trying to figure out what I want to do. I had ordered a Landmark's Freedom Baptist literature curriculum, but canceled it fearing it would add to the phonics confusion.

I love CGE and I love McGuffey's but don't know how I'm going to combine this with dictionary and spelling lessons :confused:

I haven't sold any of my treasures to buy LOE. I'm waiting for some of you to get tired of a copy, that is scribbled on, coffee spilled, and comes from a house where the husband smokes and there are pets.

I didn't sell any of my "treasures" to purchase LOE either. I sold what we were done with and what did not work for us. I don't just rely on online samples, I have to have something in my hands to see how it will work for us. So I usually buy and sell a lot. :D

I took the plunge and ordered the whole LOE curriculum. I just started reading through the teacher's manual. I am not familiar with SWR and some of the other curriculums, so I don't know how they compare. I have been impressed so far, but what do I know:tongue_smilie:?!

I haven't done any of the actual lessons yet since we are still working through the recommended activities in the introduction. Denise Eide starts out by stating that before you begin to teach the phonograms, it is best if the student has developed a basic level of phonemic awareness. BTW, the manual does provides activities in the introductory section that you can use with your child to develop phonemic awareness prior to beginning the actual LOE lessons.

Step one in the phonemic awareness section is focused on developing a kinesthetic awareness of sounds. It states in the manual that "a majority of people have not made a strong connection between the auditory and kinesthetic components of speech....This is particularly helpful for students who struggle with auditory processing and/or are kinesthetic learners." I did do these activities using a mirror with my ds. It really helped him to hear, see, and feel the differences in the sounds, as well as understanding how vowels and consonants differ.

Step 2 is called "gluing words together" and it addresses the learning how to hear the individual speech sounds which make up words and blend ("glue") them back together into words.

Step 3 is un-gluing words, which means your child breaks the word into the separate phonemes, aka segmenting.

Step 4 is manipulating words (words that begin/end with the same sound, rhyming activities)

Step 5 is identifying syllables in words.

Once I work through all of the introductory activities, I will begin the actual lessons with my ds. I honestly don't know if he will struggle with learning all of the sounds of a particular phonogram at the same time. We are currently using an O-G program, which introduces only one sound at a time. Only time will tell!! If it doesn't work out, I will spill coffee on the manual, have ds scribble on it, light a few cigarettes, and let my dogs play with the manual and then I will see it to Hunter:lol:(just kidding Hunter. We are a non-smoking family, but the rest of it will probably happen!).

Whether we stick with LOE or not, I will keep the Game book since it makes practice the phonograms a little less boring!! My ds likes to play games, so this is right up his alley. We have only tried a couple, but they were a success.

Sorry if this was TMI. I know that some of us aren't able to attend a conference, so we don't get to see the materials in person.

Have fun! I'd love to read it too!

I wonder which I'd have picked had LOE been available when we started hs'ing. I do love SWR but LOE is intriguing. I can't justify switching at this point but I'd love to get my hands on a copy. Maybe someday when I have unlimited hs funds :lol:

:bigear: and enjoying.

Ladies,

What did you purchase to implement the games? When I was on the LOE website last time I wasn't quite sure about the decks of cards. Also, I'd like to hear if you purchased student workbooks and if you chose cursive or manuscript. She makes a good case for cursive and I've wondered if I should start my DD (my target student) on it earlier than planned.

Edited by abrightmom

I didn't sell any of my "treasures" to purchase LOE either. I sold what we were done with and what did not work for us. I don't just rely on online samples, I have to have something in my hands to see how it will work for us. So I usually buy and sell a lot. :D

I'm never "done" with anything. I'm always wanting to go back and review something.

And everything that doesn't work, I revisit again and again and again, just to be SURE it doesn't work. Almost every "bad" purchase would be purchased AGAIN, of I didn't still have it.

I've learned not to sell. I could count on one hand, books that I sold and gave away, that I never wanted to look at again. That's just me though. So I'm waiting for a yucky used copy and keeping everything I have.

Today I have SWR spread out all over the floor :-0 Who would have thought???

Was there a "convention special" if you purchase there such as free shipping, etc.?

The "special" was that you could purchase it there, so free shipping. Also if you bought nearly everything as a bundle it was $30 off.

I didn't need everything, so it was cheaper for me not to bundle.

I took the plunge and ordered the whole LOE curriculum. I just started reading through the teacher's manual. I am not familiar with SWR and some of the other curriculums, so I don't know how they compare. I have been impressed so far, but what do I know:tongue_smilie:?!

Great information! Thank you!

Maybe someday when I have unlimited hs funds :lol:

Some days in my head, I must think I have unlimited funds when I'm planning what we will use. Then I snap back to reality!

:bigear: and enjoying.

Ladies,

What did you purchase to implement the games? When I was on the LOE website last time I wasn't quite sure about the decks of cards. Also, I'd like to hear if you purchased student workbooks and if you chose cursive or manuscript. She makes a good case for cursive and I've wondered if I should start my DD (my target student) on it earlier than planned.

I already had her book Uncovering the Logic of English.

I purchased the game book along with the two manuscript set of cards, since I will not be teaching cursive first.

I bought the Essentials curriculum manual.

I bought two copies of the manuscript workbook, although I don't know that I will be using the one with my younger son this year or not. I think I will.

I bought one spelling notebook.

I bought the basic phonogram flash cards and the spelling rule flash cards. I skipped the advanced ones and the grammar ones.

I also should add I'm LOVING reading through the manual. I should say that the only other programs I have actually used are Phonics Pathways, CLE Learn to Read, Explode the Code, and two levels of AAS. I also have purchased Writing Road to Reading and How to Teach Spelling. I read them thoroughly but never actually used them.

Edited by lorisuewho

It seems many of you are using this for younger children. How do you think it would work for older struggling kids? My DS15 is using Barton but HATES it and HATES how slow it is.

Thanks,

Essentials was specifically written for older kiddos who need to remediate. You can definitely use it at a speedy clip. It also integrates grammar.

Those of us with younger kiddos, need to do the curriculum at a much slower pace, and add in more of the game book, etc.

Essentials was specifically written for older kiddos who need to remediate. You can definitely use it at a speedy clip. It also integrates grammar.

Those of us with younger kiddos, need to do the curriculum at a much slower pace, and add in more of the game book, etc.

Do you know if she has any plans to develop a level for younger children? I was going to call to ask this question but i haven't gotten around to it.

Do you know if she has any plans to develop a level for younger children? I was going to call to ask this question but i haven't gotten around to it.

Yes, she has plans for it, but I don't think she has a timeframe. It is just what she is working on next, I believe. If you poke around the forum you may find out more.

I'm never "done" with anything. I'm always wanting to go back and review something.

And everything that doesn't work, I revisit again and again and again, just to be SURE it doesn't work. Almost every "bad" purchase would be purchased AGAIN, of I didn't still have it.

I've learned not to sell. I could count on one hand, books that I sold and gave away, that I never wanted to look at again. That's just me though. So I'm waiting for a yucky used copy and keeping everything I have.

Today I have SWR spread out all over the floor :-0 Who would have thought???

I would love to keep everything. Not for me, but to have a library for others to look through. If someone had a question about a certain curriculum, I would love to just hand it over and say "here, look at it for a while and see if it will fit your needs. Go ahead and borrow it for a time." I envision this great library full of books where anyone could come over and just browse. Yes, that would be my dream room. :D However, our tiny house does not have enough room. :tongue_smilie:

...It's only a matter of time before the newest shiny thing replaces LOE. LOE has some strong points, some VERY strong points, but...it has it's weaknesses too.

I'm sort of a junky myself, lol, but when I looked at LOE at the convention and actually talked with Eides, this wasn't my take. LOE is a starting point, but she's planning grade-leveled, open and go materials. I think she said she hoped to have a K5 beta ready for this fall. That means it's actually going to *expand* in appeal. She does some things well that others haven't been doing (integrating different learning modality activities into the lessons, etc.), so I think this is here to stay. If LOE doesn't look exactly like what someone needs right now, the leveled programs will probably turn out to be.

Well I started my dd with cursive in K5, so I definitely think the argument on sooner rather than later is good. Yes I looked at her student workbooks. I didn't need them right now, so I didn't buy. They had a reasonable set-up. I particularly liked the way she did the phrasing with the words for formation. I would have bought them just for that. The cursive is a traditional cursive, which isn't what I teach or write. You know maybe she'll take the plunge and expand it to a couple other popular cursive fonts. ;)

As far as the cards, the difference in the decks is the font and the color. I got two decks, a black and a blue, both typeface. She had a cursive. With a young child I'm thinking 2 decks will be more than enough. With a 6 or 7 yo maybe go ahead and get 3. That other deck was a cursive font, again that traditional cursive.

When she brings out her K5, it will probably be my top choice for teaching my ds to read. (Say I, who've owned and used SWR, PR, AAS, HTTS, WRTR, shall we keep going...) I got the games book to start playing phonogram games with my ds now. :)

The LOE manual contains sample schedules which explain how to use the program with different age groups/different needs (struggling reader, remedial, etc.). It can be used with ages 5 through adult, as well as with ESL students.

The sample schedules can also be found on the LOE websight:

http://logicofenglish.com/media/downloads/Samples/Essentials/TM-i3-Sample_Schedules.pdf

Without a doubt, this is a very organized and very scripted program. You want your hand held on an O-G program? You want everything organized and integrated? You want to know exactly what you should do each day? You want to know what materials you will need? You want to know which activities for which learning modalities? You want something that you could move through quickly or slowly to meet your child's needs? This is it.

Also, I will add that I really like the way she is marking words for analysis. This is what appealed to me about Spalding method. . .analyzing each word. Denise has made that process much more attainable for me.

The grammar is very explicit, but it isn't diagramming. I think it will become too advanced too quickly for my little people. We might be skipping over it this first time through.

I was using SWR too and just got my LOE set yesterday. :D I really like the idea of open and go.

It seems many of you are using this for younger children. How do you think it would work for older struggling kids? My DS15 is using Barton but HATES it and HATES how slow it is.

Thanks,

I am going to use this over the summer with my 15 yo who reads well but has poor spelling skills. We will skip the grammar and I hope to finish by fall.

I am going to use this over the summer with my 15 yo who reads well but has poor spelling skills. We will skip the grammar and I hope to finish by fall.

Jean, what all did you buy to use with your 15 yo besides the teacher's manual? I was thinking about going through LOE quickly with dd as her spelling is not where I would like it to be.

Jean, what all did you buy to use with your 15 yo besides the teacher's manual? I was thinking about going through LOE quickly with dd as her spelling is not where I would like it to be.

I got a workbook, basic phonics cards, advanced phonics cards and a spelling journal. My plan for after we finish LOE is to use the spelling journal for words he needs to work on we come across them in his other subjects.

I got a workbook, basic phonics cards, advanced phonics cards and a spelling journal. My plan for after we finish LOE is to use the spelling journal for words he needs to work on we come across them in his other subjects.

Thanks. :) I am headed to our convention in less than 2 weeks. :D The first booth I am hitting is LOE. I still had some things I wanted to pick up to use with ds, but wasn't sure yet what I wanted to use with dd.

Thanks. :) I am headed to our convention in less than 2 weeks. :D The first booth I am hitting is LOE. I still had some things I wanted to pick up to use with ds, but wasn't sure yet what I wanted to use with dd.

This was me. I think I was the first one to arrive at the LOE booth. :D

I moved stuff around in our hs budget and I got the approval from DH to order LOE! :hurray: Can't wait. I'm still keeping SWR; I will probably use the Wise Guide list of words as a springboard for spelling when we finish this program.

SWR goes to a higher level and has the alpha list to use as a reference list for misspelled words. You are going to need that unless the author of LOE starts doing some FAST writing. My biggest concern with LOE is how unfinished it is, and that the next writing planned is more beginner material, not advanced material.

Also SWR comes with the companion CDs to the Wise Guide List, that allows a child to test themselves. That is a nice resource for older children. At that point the rules are more important than the markings and the child can ignore the markings, or be taught what is different from LOE.

It's a bad, bad, bad idea to sell SWR for LOE. For those who are SWITCHING to LOE and keeping SWR on the shelf, I FULLY understand the draw--and don't even disagree with it--but I squirm in my chair when I see people selling SWR to purchase LOE, because they are so likely to repurchase it after finishing LOE, and fully understanding what was NOT included.

I worried about that too, Hunter. LOE looks really good. I currently use The Phonics Road. I really like PR, but I dislike having to watch those DVDs. So I've looked into LOE. I watched the videos on the site and knew most of what she was teaching from PR, but I learned a couple things from Denise. I can't trade PR for LOE though, because I'm thinking PR Levels 1-4 will cover much more than LOE does. I could be wrong about that because I have not seen LOE in person. :confused:

SWR goes to a higher level and has the alpha list to use as a reference list for misspelled words. You are going to need that unless the author of LOE starts doing some FAST writing. My biggest concern with LOE is how unfinished it is, and that the next writing planned is more beginner material, not advanced material.

Also SWR comes with the companion CDs to the Wise Guide List, that allows a child to test themselves. That is a nice resource for older children. At that point the rules are more important than the markings and the child can ignore the markings, or be taught what is different from LOE.

It's a bad, bad, bad idea to sell SWR for LOE. For those who are SWITCHING to LOE and keeping SWR on the shelf, I FULLY understand the draw--and don't even disagree with it--but I squirm in my chair when I see people selling SWR to purchase LOE, because they are so likely to repurchase it after finishing LOE, and fully understanding what was NOT included.

Yes--those were my inklings after talking with Denise about what to do after LOE. My kids are 6 and 4 and my 6yo is just an emerging reader now, so switching to LOE for these early years is a great fit for us. We made it to list I this year without mastery of the words, and just some exposure to the rules, but with a pretty good base of the phonograms and success in dictation. It has been overwhelming to me to try to figure out how to do this next year and incorporate grammar lessons, etc. I LOVE that the lessons are open-and-go and I won't have to worry about constantly digging through the SWR manual to make sure I'm not missing important lessons. I also like the few changes that she made to the phonograms (for example, including the long E sound in the "y" phonogram, since it is used CONSTANTLY in our language. I get the historical reason for dictating it as a short i and using y as a stand-in, but for a 6yo, I think that holds the child back from fluency in reading and writing to have to think through that--JMO.) So, yeah, I am really thrilled about this.

I worried about that too, Hunter. LOE looks really good. I currently use The Phonics Road. I really like PR, but I dislike having to watch those DVDs. So I've looked into LOE. I watched the videos on the site and knew most of what she was teaching from PR, but I learned a couple things from Denise. I can't trade PR for LOE though, because I'm thinking PR Levels 1-4 will cover much more than LOE does. I could be wrong about that because I have not seen LOE in person. :confused:

I haven't seen LOE either, BUT, and this is a big BUT, it is no harder to see that LOE is NOT finished, than it is to see that MOH is not finished, if you look under all the frosting. Now, just because something is not finished, doesn't mean that ALL people shouldn't use it. But, when people are investing money they don't have, to transition from a finished curriculum that is WORKING to an unfinished curriculum, it's concerning.

I hope LOE gets finished some day. I really do. I'm likely to shell out a considerable chunk of cash to try it out. But in the meantime, I'm falling in love with some other stuff, and...I may not have any room for LOE at that point. Already the integrated grammar is no longer a draw for me.

And the D'Nealian font has always been a concern of mine, in a curriculum that is being advertised for remedial work. I do NOT get that. Other than that the font was convenient to purchase for the author. PR uses the Spalding cursive font. Take a LONG look at the handwriting lessons for both curricula, before switching.

I'm going to use the Spalding-type handwriting. But this isn't because I have anything against the other font-styles. Just after being a public school K teacher and reading specialist, I am deadset on some of my ways, and manuscript is one of them. However, I love LOE's style for HOW to teach manuscript. . .all the large motor and texture activities.

I personally am not too worried about where we are headed after LOE. My children are young and we aren't really switching FROM something to LOE. I used AAS for 2 levels, but I don't feel we were committed to that system in some way. After looking through the 40 lessons (which will probably take us more than one school year to complete; I think it will take us about 7 school days to do one lesson, maybe more), we will either go through some of it again more thoroughly or we will switch to something like HTTS or Rod &Staff spelling as a review of all we have learned, before moving onto a roots program. Or honestly, I'm very interested into moving into more of a dictation-style spelling like Spelling Wisdom after completing LOE. At this time, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Well I have no intention to switch to LOE and abandon PR. I just think in the long run PR is going to cover a lot more but it's not just spelling. I still will most likely buy LOE at some point in the future. I'd love to have it for a slightly different perspective. I have other children coming up, and I'm not sure that PR will work for one of them, she's very different. I also have AAS levels 1 and 2 and 2 levels of AAR. I like having a lot of OG type programs to draw ideas from.

Lori- Is LOE mostly spelling then? What do you plan to use for grammar after LOE? Is the grammar in LOE basic? I guess what I'm asking is, will there be a need for additional grammar after LOE? I also wonder about grammar needed after PR? I'm not sure if more is needed or not, especially if one will be studying Latin.

Those who are familiar with LOE in some depth-- would it be overkill for a child who is a natural speller and who can pick up the spelling rules easily?

I have How to Teach Spelling and the corresponding workbooks, "How to Spell", which gives a pretty solid base in rule-based spelling. However, I'll be honest that I am tempted by LOE. I like the extended list of words based on each spelling word, and having the grammar right there in the lesson makes me think I'll get it done more efficiently. But still, it's at a much steeper price than going through the "How to Spell" workbooks.