Menu

Confessions of a homeschooler roadtrip USA and expedition earth

sflood

Has anyone used either roadtrip USA or expedition earth. I was honking of using these for social studies and would like to hear others opinions of them. This will be our first year homeschooling for my eight year old and I was goin to go with mystery of history, but heard it may be too mug for the first year.

I used the Expedition Earth this year for a little while. I like it, but it just wasn't a good fit for my kids. It is inexpensive, but it does require several books. You wouldn't need to get them all. I got really lucky and had a friend who has them all and sold them to be for a cheap price. The only con for me was that it was a 5 day a week program and we didn't want to spend 5 days on it. It is easy to adjust to double up days or take out countries.

I'm using EE and love it. I do not follow her schedule, though. It moves way too fast and I have no need to get through it all in a year. I substituted some books, and I don't do everything on her list. We spend 2-3 weeks per country. We do it really informally, I just turn to the list and do whatever I feel like doing that day. If she's got several projects listed I generally only do one. I usually try to do something food related (the kids love it), though I might not always use her recipes. In short, I make it work for us.

I also have GTG, I blend the two but if I had it to do over again I would not buy GTG, I'd just use EE.

I've also added the notebooking pages for Geography A to Z from Mama Jenn.

I bought RoadTrip USA and used it for the first few months of our school year. It wasn't a good fit because it was a lot of lapbooking and I was the one doing it. My son doesn't enjoy cutting/pasting. I also felt like I could have printed the state sheets we used for free from other websites. I still plan to use it for a reference and I'm sad it didn't work out this time around.

I was honking of using these for social studies and would like to hear others opinions of them.

:001_huh:

:lol:

I'm assuming this was the result of an ingenious auto-correct, but it tickled me. I'm always honking about curriculum too. If you actually choose a curriculum after honking long and hard about it, do you then quack about it, or crow? Just wondering...

I have both. I don't use them as is. We use Five in a Row and it's great to pull from when I need extra info for a certain country or state. I agree with several other posters. I don't think I would use it as a stand alone because it would be too much for us to fit in a week, but that's just my opinion. :)

Guest stalcupaam

We're using Expedition Earth combined with Galloping the Globe this coming year with my K-er and 2nd grader. I won't be following her schedule, I'm rearranging to be able to allow for things to coincide with the Olympics and the U.S. elections. It looks very thorough, but I doubt we'll do every single little thing.