Menu

My baby's temp is 104*

I'm not sure if I should medicate or not. I've never had a little one with such a high fever but baby seems to be tolerating it okay. Sleepier, but not lethargic. Nursing lots. Fever has been present for 8 hours now but I don't know how long it's been this high- this is the first time I've taken a temp.

I'm thinking of holding off until I go to bed (and allowing fever to do its job) but giving Tylenol then so baby (and I) can get a decent night sleep.

Do you agree?

FWIW- the other kids are sick but no fevers- just sore throat in one and coughs in another. Baby has no other symptoms other than the fever.

:grouphug: I hate fevers!

How old is your baby?

I always let the fever do its job. But, nighttime is another ball game altogether! I always treat at night - usually with MOtrin because it lasts longer. And, I keep feverish younger child with me at night so I can monitor.

I pray babe is all better tomorrow morning.

I would medicate. My dd runs really high fevers, so I am hesitant to medicate at 102-103 if she is not lethargic. 104 at night, though? I don't mess around. Bring on the meds.

I'm really sorry your little one doesn't feel well. :grouphug: I hope the sickness passes quickly!

ETA:

I always treat at night - usually with Motrin because it lasts longer. And, I keep feverish younger child with me at night so I can monitor.
I totally agree with this. Edited by Element

My 4 yr old spiked a 103.4 fever last night. No other symptoms. I did medicate with Advil. I usually let them do their thing too, but that's high and I worry about damage (just mom feeling). I make sure it goes down, then note how long it stays down. Hers would only stay down the 4 hours. And right back up to 103

The nurse made us come in. Strep, negative. Too active for flu. Must be fever virus. I gave her another dose and we are at 5 hours since med. so we shall see.

How old is yours?

When my kids' fevers got that high, I definitely would use Tylenol or Motrin (seems to work better). You're getting into febrile seizure possibilities up at that level. I don't know how old your baby is, but I probably would take her in.

Hope baby is better soon! :grouphug:

For 104*, I would medicate immediately. If the fever did not respond, I would be at the doctor. How old is your baby? Under a year, I would be at the doctor now. 1-2....it would depend on other symptoms. Over 2, I would medicate and wait a few days unless there was a sore throat or other symptoms that make me think strep, ear infections,etc.

Guest submarines
I'm not sure if I should medicate or not. I've never had a little one with such a high fever but baby seems to be tolerating it okay. Sleepier, but not lethargic. Nursing lots. Fever has been present for 8 hours now but I don't know how long it's been this high- this is the first time I've taken a temp.

I'm thinking of holding off until I go to bed (and allowing fever to do its job) but giving Tylenol then so baby (and I) can get a decent night sleep.

Do you agree?

FWIW- the other kids are sick but no fevers- just sore throat in one and coughs in another. Baby has no other symptoms other than the fever.

I wouldn't medicate unless the baby was uncomfortable. My children as babies always slept well when they had fevers, though. :grouphug:

ETA: I slept with my babies, though. Thinking it over, if I wasn't sleeping with them, I'd medicate, as I wouldn't be as aware of their condition.

Edited by sunflowers

When my kids' fevers got that high, I definitely would use Tylenol or Motrin seems to work better). You're getting into febrile seizure possibilities up at that level. I don't know how old your baby is, but I probably would take her in.

Hope baby is better soon! :grouphug:

I have had two children have fever seizures. It's not the level of the fever that causes the seizure, it's how fast it rises. Both times (actually all three times), their fever was quite low - 101 or so. Next thing I knew, they were seizing!!!! The fever had gone up so fast, they seized.

The other thing to ask is whether this is normal for this child? I have a child who as an infant ran fevers quite regularly of 105 (scary, I know!). So, a fever of 104 wouldn't scare me, in him.

Now, I don't even keep a thermometer. If the child is acting weird with a fever, I give meds. If not, I wait it out. At night - always medicate!

I know roseola is going around here, and a lot of other places. High fever for a few days, no other symptoms, then followed by body rash once no longer fevering. dd just had that about a month ago.

I would do a tepid bath, then motrin before sleep and dressed lighter than usual. I don't medicated during the day, either so long as they are tolerating and otherwise acting normal (depending on baby's age...how old is your lil one?)

Hope your lil one feels better soon!

:iagree:

I never heard of people not medicating a fever before this board. I might not medicate for 101, but anything higher than that, I do. 104 I'd be medicating and calling the dr.

I'd never heard of it before, either. Things can turn very serious, very quickly with babies and young children, and I would never allow a child's fever to get anywhere near that high without medicating -- and I would absolutely be on the phone to the doctor about it, as well. (And if the medication didn't bring the fever down pretty quickly, we'd be on the way to the doctor or the hospital.)

I don't mess around with high fevers.

I never medicated my little ones for high fevers....

until my 9mo son had a febrile seizure. It was horrible. Because I did not give him the ibuprofen or Tylenol his fever spiked. He seized for 10 minutes all the way to the hospital, then was given ibuprofen enemas (lots of ibuprofen) until his fever went down.

It was terrible and I never want to go through it again. I don't medicate until it reaches 103, but now each child is given a fever reducer at 103, especially at night.

I hope your little one feels better very soon.

I'd never heard of it before, either. Things can turn very serious, very quickly with babies and young children, and I would never allow a child's fever to get anywhere near that high without medicating -- and I would absolutely be on the phone to the doctor about it, as well. (And if the medication didn't bring the fever down pretty quickly, we'd be on the way to the doctor or the hospital.)

Our very first ped was affiliated with a nationally known children's hospital and regularly handed out paperwork to parents about not fearing a fever. Fever with other concerning symptoms, yes. Fever putting the kid at risk of dehydration (not peeing, not taking in enough liquids), yes. Fever in very young babies, yes. Fever when the rest of the house is already sick with a pretty run of the mill virus? Not so much (for us). The paperwork specified fevers from illness do not cause brain damage (vs. heat related illnesses, where temp can keep climbing high enough to cause brain damage). Obviously this is a discussion to have with your own doc, I am just sharing what I have experienced and been told. Mine just nursed, nursed, nursed and slept a little more, and then kicked whatever it was pretty quickly in most cases.

My eldest either didn't have a fever, or it was 104. That was his normal. For him it didn't correlate with how sick he was.

For ex:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/11/health/11klass.html?_r=1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health/pediatricians-say-its-often-better-to-let-a-childs-fever-run-its-course/2011/04/11/AF6j0fkE_story.html

http://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/02/28/6148250-new-advice-on-fevers-ride-it-out?lite

eta: one more from the AAP

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/127/3/580.full

Edited by Momof3littles

Over 102 if they are uncomfortable/unable to get good rest I will give Motrin.

Over 103 for sure I would give Motrin.

A fever of 103+ that does not respond to meds can be a sign of a serious infection. A high fever that drops with meds can be waited out a bit; a high fever that is unresponsive needs more immediate attention.

Our pediatrician said to give acetaminophen every 3-4 hours for temperature of 101-103, and ibuprofen every 6-8 hours for temperature 103+. For a persistent fever, he instructed us to overlap the acetominophen and ibuprofen.

Just wanted to note that this could be very dangerous. Giving acetaminophen every 3-4 hrs for 24 or 48hrs could kill some children. It shouldn't be given more than 4 times in 24 hrs. Yes, it can be given 4hrly, but not over and over again.

(My DH worked at a liver transplant unit and they saw a run of children in liver failure because parents had followed similar advice to this)

I agree with the posts above which say not to fear a fever and often you can let it run its course.

Having said that if your (OP's) baby is less than six months old I would go straight to a hospital because it is much more likely to be serious in a baby. I'd be pretty cautious with an under one year old too.

Over one, I'd agree with you, giving something to get through the night is what I would do too.

Hope your baby is better this morning!

I would be medicating consistently, and even setting my alarm at night to medicate on schedule. With a fever that high, I'd probably also be giving baby a luke-warm bath, or at least a rub down with a cool (not cold) wash cloth.

I'd probably call the nurse on duty, as well. I had always heard that babies could get seizures if temps got too high. (Although I see someone else mentioned that that is due more to the quick rise in temp.)

I think you'll get to know what's the norm for your baby when they have a fever. Some babies just seem to get higher temps.

Same here usually, but will medicate if they are miserable at 102. Motrin/Advil right before bed so it lasts long enough for a good amount of sleep.

I am not sure if things have changed but typically Motrin is not recommended for children under 6 months. If the child has a persistent high fever I would seek medical attention....especially if the child is less than a year old.

:iagree:I've always thought it a bit odd myself.

It all depends on baby's age. A fever in a young baby is dangerous. My baby was 5 weeks with a fever of 101 and from the time we went to the doctor's office to the hospital it soared to 104 and she started having trouble breathing - it was less than 10 minutes! Please listen to your mommy instincts and not your insurance and money concerns.:grouphug:

For those who have never heard of not medicating.....a fever is the body's way of fighting off an illness. The illness loves to thrive in 98.6 degree bodies. Once the body recognizes there's an "invader" it raises the temperature in order to vacate the "intruder." I choose not to medicate (for the most part) so that the body can do its job.

However, at night, I DO medicate because I cannot monitor my child when I am asleep. And even during the day, if the temp starts inching higher than 103, I start closely monitoring and will medicate.

I let fevers do their job but am also very cautious with them. If my child has a 102 degree fever and they are in the playroom playing with toys, then I do not worry about it at all.

For those who have never heard of not medicating.....a fever is the body's way of fighting off an illness. The illness loves to thrive in 98.6 degree bodies. Once the body recognizes there's an "invader" it raises the temperature in order to vacate the "intruder." I choose not to medicate (for the most part) so that the body can do its job.

However, at night, I DO medicate because I cannot monitor my child when I am asleep. And even during the day, if the temp starts inching higher than 103, I start closely monitoring and will medicate.

I let fevers do their job but am also very cautious with them. If my child has a 102 degree fever and they are in the playroom playing with toys, then I do not worry about it at all.

I have had times where the only way I new my little had a fever was b/c we hugged....if my child is otherwise playing and eating like normal, there is no reason to medicate for a low to moderate fever. And in the case of roseola, a common virus, temps will get that high. The more you medicate, the longer it takes to fight off the virus. Night time, for me, is different, too. I do a tepid bath and then give Tylenol or Motrin, depending on how high the temp has been running. When the body is at rest, it is fighting harder anyway, so a little medication to help sleep better is, IMO, a good thing.

Having said all that, it most certainly does depend on a baby's age for me. All that was for a baby over 12 mos.

Hope your little one had a good night's rest and is feeling much better today!

We just went through the rounds of a very persistant fever in both dc and myself the past 3 weeks. Ds went 12 days with 104 temps -- the doctors were concerned after 3 days. High fevers are not something I fiddle with. Now if it is 101 or under, I try to let it run it's course, but if dc is uncomfortable, I have no problem medicating.

I mean, really, if you had a fever and headache, would you not take something? :confused: My fever only spiked at 102 and I felt miserable. The chills, the sweating, the achiness -- no way I would leave it to do it's thing.

Just to forwarn, all three of us started with a fever, added a slight cough after a few days, and ended up with full-blown pneumonia. It was horrible and I'm just now getting over it. The doctors were stumped because our lungs sounded clear, but the x-rays showed pretty bad cases of pneumonia.

We co-sleep so I was able to keep an eye on little one all night.

The fever came down on its own a couple hours after I posted but it was up and down all night.

Baby nursed a lot :willy_nilly: but woke happy and with a very full diaper. :tongue_smilie:

Temp is currently low 99 so I'll definitely be keeping a close eye today.

Thanks everyone.

I have had two children have fever seizures. It's not the level of the fever that causes the seizure, it's how fast it rises. Both times (actually all three times), their fever was quite low - 101 or so. Next thing I knew, they were seizing!!!! The fever had gone up so fast, they seized.

The other thing to ask is whether this is normal for this child? I have a child who as an infant ran fevers quite regularly of 105 (scary, I know!). So, a fever of 104 wouldn't scare me, in him.

Now, I don't even keep a thermometer. If the child is acting weird with a fever, I give meds. If not, I wait it out. At night - always medicate!

Our very first ped was affiliated with a nationally known children's hospital and regularly handed out paperwork to parents about not fearing a fever. Fever with other concerning symptoms, yes. Fever putting the kid at risk of dehydration (not peeing, not taking in enough liquids), yes. Fever in very young babies, yes. Fever when the rest of the house is already sick with a pretty run of the mill virus? Not so much (for us). The paperwork specified fevers from illness do not cause brain damage (vs. heat related illnesses, where temp can keep climbing high enough to cause brain damage). Obviously this is a discussion to have with your own doc, I am just sharing what I have experienced and been told. Mine just nursed, nursed, nursed and slept a little more, and then kicked whatever it was pretty quickly in most cases.

My eldest either didn't have a fever, or it was 104. That was his normal. For him it didn't correlate with how sick he was.

For ex:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/11/health/11klass.html?_r=1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health/pediatricians-say-its-often-better-to-let-a-childs-fever-run-its-course/2011/04/11/AF6j0fkE_story.html

http://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/02/28/6148250-new-advice-on-fevers-ride-it-out?lite

eta: one more from the AAP

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/127/3/580.full

To me, anything else just doesn't seem to be common sense, but hysterical overreactions. (Not amongst the people here - just talking in general).

Over one, I'd agree with you, giving something to get through the night is what I would do too.

Certainly. The OP didn't mention her child's age, though. If by "baby", she means "infant", then I would probably call the doctor for a fever over 103.