Menu

Please, I Hate to Do This, But I'm Asking For Some Good JuJu-- I'm Frantic

It's been a rough week. One week ago today, our 18 month old puppy Kayak, Molly's puppy, cut himself badly above his left front pastern, or "wrist." Two out of the three tendons were completely severed, and the third 70% severed, and he missed a major vein by 2mm. I raced him to the vet and the tendons were surgically repaired. He came home in a cast, which had to be removed to day because of infection/skin degradation. So now he's got all 120 lbs on his front legs, 7 days post-surgery with nothing-- no support at all, but those sutures holding his joint together. He's in a crate under severe lockdown-- NO movement, and partially sedated, but he's not coping well. And I'm giving a professional development seminar tomorrow.

To make matters worse, that whole bullying thing is escalating-- Molly's being targeted by a nasty, cruel girl who has had the reputation for being Miss Perfect for years. She's sly and cunning, and lies like a rug. Molly is now back to what got us to pull her out of school back in second grade-- pulling her hair out. Literally.

And on top of it all, our dog food was included in the recall. Two weeks ago Ray, Molly and I all got violently ill-- severe stomach cramps, vomiting, diarrhea. Molly ran a fever, Ray and I had sweaty chills. We are still not back to 100%. Last Thursday was Ky's emergency and on the way home from the vet's I heard the news bulletin about the salmonella taint. I am CERTAIN we had it.

I"m literally frantic with worry about both Molly and Ky, still queasy, and I swear I need to be sedated.

Please-- send me a virtual Mike's. Or some advice. Or something that will make me wake up when everything's better.

My mama's heart is hurting tonight.

Thanks everybody....

astrid

:glare: boo hiss...mean girls! Would anxiety medication help with the hair pulling?

I'm sorry about the dog too. We've been through a cat with a broken leg. I can't imagine how hard it is to keep a dog off its leg.

:grouphug: Hugs for you all.

Astrid - I'm SO sorry!!!

First of all, I have been in your shoes with a child being bullied at high school. My son still carries those scars. I don't know what your answer is for Molly. What a difficult situation for her, and I sympathize with what it is like for you! Are there other options for Molly? Online school? Charter? College courses? I truly do regret keeping my son in school. He really insisted that it was what he wanted, and I truly felt I was doing the right thing at the time. Now...... I wish I pulled him out. The scars were not worth the benefits or opportunities and they caused him to lose interest in his studies. :sad:

Poor Kayak!!! (LOVE THAT NAME!!!) I know it is hard to keep a beloved pet confined, but when it is necessary, it is so loving. His pain now will be his gain later!!!! I do hope with rest he will recover completely. As hard as it is to keep him confined now, you will be glad you did so later. Still, it doesn't make anything easier.

And to deal with all this while being so sick!!!!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Hoping abundant blessings are bestowed on all of you in the coming days and weeks!

:glare: boo hiss...mean girls! Would anxiety medication help with the hair pulling?

I'm sorry about the dog too. We've been through a cat with a broken leg. I can't imagine how hard it is to keep a dog off its leg.

:grouphug: Hugs for you all.

Yeah---- and what's ironic is I was just asking here a month ago because my SIL's niece is pulling hair, and was considering a hypnotist. I asked her for advice because when Molly started because of school stress in second grade, we yanked her and homeschooled her. Not an option for SIL's niece, and really not for Molly now either. She loves school and is doing well, loving band, sports, etc. Guess I better go look up that thread.

Sigh.

astrid

I'm going to send some virtual :grouphug:, a frozen margarita, and a virtual housekeeper (not nearly as good as a real housekeeper). Sorry you've had so much going on.

Astrid - I'm SO sorry!!!

First of all, I have been in your shoes with a child being bullied at high school. My son still carries those scars. I don't know what your answer is for Molly. What a difficult situation for her, and I sympathize with what it is like for you! Are there other options for Molly? Online school? Charter? College courses? I truly do regret keeping my son in school. He really insisted that it was what he wanted, and I truly felt I was doing the right thing at the time. Now...... I wish I pulled him out. The scars were not worth the benefits or opportunities and they caused him to lose interest in his studies. :sad:

Poor Kayak!!! (LOVE THAT NAME!!!) I know it is hard to keep a beloved pet confined, but when it is necessary, it is so loving. His pain now will be his gain later!!!! I do hope with rest he will recover completely. As hard as it is to keep him confined now, you will be glad you did so later. Still, it doesn't make anything easier.

And to deal with all this while being so sick!!!!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Hoping abundant blessings are bestowed on all of you in the coming days and weeks!

Thanks, Denise. It's not so much the confining, though that's a problem too, it's keeping weight off his foot. I'm petrified that he'll damage it further, and he HAS to go out to potty-- though he's refused to all night. He'll go out, but won't GO. :glare:

For Molly, our plan all along has been to put her in high school. She loves it, other than this, and really, her thing is band-- she's flourishing there. Her other love is swim team, and there would be no opportunities for her to swim without the school team. She has tons of friends, but this one girl is making life miserable. Ray is staying home tomorrow to sit on the pup and go to the school. I just CANNOT stay home because I'm giving a professional development workshop and have all the materials in my car. I'm going to be no good all day, though.

Thanks for the hugs everyone-- I'm feeling them, each and every one.

astrid

can you restrain the leg to the body with a sheet, or something, to get Kayak outside to go to the bathroom? I know how hard it is for an animal not to be able to go to the bathroom freely like they are used to. Unfortunately I have had to deal with this with three separate animals in the past few months.

Buddy's foot was a mess and we didn't think his unusually thin skin was going to take to the surgery. I remember how stressful it was taking him outside to go to the bathroom. But his skin never deteriorated. I would think that restraining the leg would be more helpful now? But I really don't know. I know it will be hard for him to go to the bathroom but eventually he will, even outside. That has been my experience.

How distressing. I remember how stressed out I was about that situation because the emergency clinic had real concerns Buddy's skin would die off.

It is good to hear that Molly is so involved and has good friends. I never understood how one kid could negate all of that, somehow it does. When my son had issues with the two kids for an extended period of time, I spoke to the principal of the school at length about the type of kid my son was, and the impact these kids were having on him. He did a wonderful job handling the situation and there was immediate improvement with the kids. I do hope a resolution is found for Molly. I have heard that girls are much meaner.:glare:

Good luck at work tomorrow! Compartmentalize! :grouphug:

Prayers for you and yours.

Remember when my driving pony Fable had that horrible injury to her tendon? When I saw first saw it, it looked so bad that I was ready to put her down immediately. The hoof was just dangling. So take heart, recovery will take a while but will happen. Fabs was in a cast too, then a special shoe for months. Recovery was a bit under a year.

:grouphug:

Honey it sounds like you need more than just a Mike's!

I am so sorry all of this has hit the fan simultaiously. I hope the waters calm soon with everything as it should be.

:grouphug:

This made me smile, because puppy's registered name is

Seelowen Kayak Calm Waters. :001_smile::001_smile:

astrid

Prayers for you and yours.

Remember when my driving pony Fable had that horrible injury to her tendon? When I saw first saw it, it looked so bad that I was ready to put her down immediately. The hoof was just dangling. So take heart, recovery will take a while but will happen. Fabs was in a cast too, then a special shoe for months. Recovery was a bit under a year.

Fable's injury ran through my mind the whole way to the vet's that day, RM. I kept telling myself that if Fable, the big pony, could recover, so could my 120 lb. dog. Tell me, during the casting time, was there ever any skin issue? That's a big part of my worry now, and why the cast has been removed. If so, what did you do?

thanks..

astrid

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm so sorry. When it rains, it pours, and it sounds like you've been hit by a typhoon.

Sending you an entire case of Virtual Mike's.

And extra :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug: Me too. Some Mikes and some hugs. sorry you are having a cr@ppy time. I hate mean people. But, they ALWAYS get their comeuppance! It is how the universe works.:D

I'm so sorry. Your last sentence speaks volumes and what we all feel when something affects our kiddos. No pet stories, but have had my share of mean girls. Just this week, Dd was slightly bullied by a boy in Sunday school and I was so mad. There is only so much staring down she will do before she socks him, and then it'll probably end up being our fault. Add to the insult, the boy is shorter than her but of the same age.

I pray it gets better for you. :grouphug:

I'm sorry you have such a sucky time of it right now. :grouphug: to you, Kayak and esp Molly.

I don't know if going to the girls' parents would be helpful or not--what do you think? Maybe a meeting with the girls' parents, AND the principal? I'd love it if Molly could wear a hidden camera or a wire and BAM! present the evidence at a meeting like that...THat's where my own bullying scars come into play, leading me to fantasize about something like that...

More :grouphug:.