Menu

Decluttering Challenge Week 2

All right, if you're working on the decluttering challenge please post your progress updates here!

It's been slow going around here this week--we've all been sick, some lingering virus that isn't putting us in bed but is sapping everyone's energy and making the kids grumpy. I did make myself face the bathroom closet yesterday--emptied everything out and starting tossing and organizing. I've still got a big box of stuff that either needs to find a place on a shelf or be disposed of.

So how are things going at your homes?

Today I finally got out a tv, an old vacuum and 3 of the ugliest dining room chairs. They sat on the curb for a bit and a woman drove up, decided to take the vacuum, puts in her car and then decides that she doesn't want it. :001_huh: Oh well, I go off to pack a bit more and come back to find someone took the dining room chairs. C'mon people, take it all. :tongue_smilie: Tomorrow I will be digging out two computer monitors to put out on the curb. I'm sure those will be scooped up quicker than what is out there now.

I called to see if our garbage provides a heavy trash day (I know they did in Indianapolis). Of course they don't. We either haul to the landfill or rent a dumpster. :glare: It looks like someone will be going to the landfill Thursday. No wonder people leave things behind here. Not everyone owns a vehicle big enough to dispose of things at the landfill.

The attic is almost empty. I have two closets completely empty now. We load the truck on Saturday the 26th and move on the 27th. I'm wondering if I can declutter AND pack by then. I did get two 30 gallon trash bags out though (I am breaking my SO and he is giving in to finally throwing things out). Pretty happy about that fact even though our trash can is now full. Ugh. Off to have more fun cleaning this place. :)

Today I finally got out a tv, an old vacuum and 3 of the ugliest dining room chairs. They sat on the curb for a bit and a woman drove up, decided to take the vacuum, puts in her car and then decides that she doesn't want it. :001_huh: Oh well, I go off to pack a bit more and come back to find someone took the dining room chairs. C'mon people, take it all. :tongue_smilie: Tomorrow I will be digging out two computer monitors to put out on the curb. I'm sure those will be scooped up quicker than what is out there now.

I called to see if our garbage provides a heavy trash day (I know they did in Indianapolis). Of course they don't. We either haul to the landfill or rent a dumpster. :glare: It looks like someone will be going to the landfill Thursday. No wonder people leave things behind here. Not everyone owns a vehicle big enough to dispose of things at the landfill.

The attic is almost empty. I have two closets completely empty now. We load the truck on Saturday the 26th and move on the 27th. I'm wondering if I can declutter AND pack by then. I did get two 30 gallon trash bags out though (I am breaking my SO and he is giving in to finally throwing things out). Pretty happy about that fact even though our trash can is now full. Ugh. Off to have more fun cleaning this place. :)

It sounds like you've made good progress! Moving is such a huge project. Regarding things you need to get rid of, if it's usable stuff you could try posting on craigslist or a local freecycle list --maybe someone will take it off your hands without having to go to the dump. But then again, if taking it to the dump is the easiest/least time-consuming option, go for it!

It sounds like you've made good progress! Moving is such a huge project. Regarding things you need to get rid of, if it's usable stuff you could try posting on craigslist or a local freecycle list --maybe someone will take it off your hands without having to go to the dump. But then again, if taking it to the dump is the easiest/least time-consuming option, go for it!

We don't have a local freecycle or I would have went with that option. I've considered Craigslist but it might be a bigger hassle than it is worth. The landfill is definetely looking like the better option right now.

I started gathering items for a yard sale. We're hoping to put the house on the market next spring, so I'm using this summer to go through stuff to sell and do any outdoor improvements. This winter will be indoor improvements and beginning to pack clutter that we don't use, but don't want to sell.

You are doing GREAT :hurray: :cheers2:

I finished the desk for ds and put together a bookshelf I cut out over a year ago.

This was in the basement, so doesn't really help my family room project--but it did give me some elbow room for sorting school stuff. I'm determined not to have wood projects left unfinished as they take up MUCH more room than unfinished sewing projects!

I freecycled a bin of National Geographics from that room also. I can see more of the floor out there which is a good start. No in progress pics today, but will post a couple next week.

I'm slowly making progress - I sorted out a bunch of clothes and bagged them up in the garage. I take one or two every week when I go to the local thrift shop, since if you take a donation you get a 30% off coupon and we get a lot of homeschool books from there.

I did get dd to sort out a few toys to get rid of, with the stipulation that she got to keep any money earned from selling them to put towards a Molly American Girl Doll {she's been wanting one for well over a year}.

Friday and Saturday is our local home school convention, but Sunday I'm cleaning and sorting the school room again.

Last week I hauled 6 garbage bags and a small box to teh goodwill donation box. It was all stuff I had in the backroom waiting to be donated so I finally got it all out of there.

Today I am hoping to get 1 more bag/box into my trunk from my bedroom closet when I go in to clean my room today. I don't want to get sucked into doing the whole closet because I need to get all my other chores done today but 1 bag/box shouldn't take too long and will be a good first step.

We have a town wide garage sale in a couple weeks, so I am keeping an eye out for things worth selling during it vs things to just donate to get it out asap.

I gave away five boxes of books. Is that heretical? :)

I'm still organizing our office/homeschooling space and my sewing stuff.

Cheering for you! Funny how it can feel almost sacrilegious to get rid of books, isn't it? We've given away a lot since moving last year--I just decided that I had too many to take care of and the REALLY good books were getting lost amidst the just decently good ones. Now that we have fewer, my kids are reading more of the best ones. And I'm not taking care of a whole bunch of books that were wonderful to read once but I don't have time to read again.