Menu

Hands on Equations?

I figure there is a better chance of catching one of you busy moms of older kids here than in the K-8 forum. So, forgive me for posting a middle school question in the high school forum.

I am strongly considering using Hands On Equations as part of our 7th grade 'pre-algebra' year. It is going to be a sort of homemade pre-algebra. We will also be using the Key To Algebra and some Tops Science math units. Exactly how I am going to make all of that work I don't know, but lets remain optimistic.

I am intrigued by Hands on Equations, but it is fairly pricy. But, I have two kids so it would be used twice. Here are my questions:

Can I get away with not buying the DVDs, or do we really need that component? How did you use this? Is it a once a week sort of thing? Or is it something that should be used more often? Is it easy to implement, in that there are clear beginnings and endings of lessons? Did you use the word problem book? Was that worth another almost 35$ as compared to other word problem sources? Was your student able to translate their skills with the hands on system to doing the problems on paper?

And finally, and I know this is a long shot, does anyone here have an opinion about overlap between Hands On Equations and the Key To Algebra? I am wondering if the two together are covering the same material. I want him prepared for Algebra in 8th grade, and a different approach is always appreciated, but I don't want redundant material. That will only frustrate him.

I am guessing that Hand On Equations is more focused on specific skills, and Key To Algebra is necessary for a complete study of the subject.

Thank you so much for reading. :001_smile:

We used HOE briefly (not that impressed with it)--you do not need the DVD.

But, I don't think of it as a middle school supplement. I thought it was more for elementary. Disclaimer--my kids are advanced, but we tried it when they were in SM4 and I felt it would have been better to use it earlier. YMMV and all that.

No need for DVD, you can figure it out yourself. We did it every day for several weeks to get the principles down, then started the algebra lessons in pre-algebra. It transfered easily. We didn't use the word problems book.

they have a ipad app for 4.99 if you have a ipad, u can give it a try to see if works for u

Oh noes! I don't have an ipad, but maybe I should! I am always looking for more reasons to justify an ipad. :D

I know that younger kids can use it. I am thinking my 7 year old would really like it. This is more about my own feelings of trepidation about starting algebra. I am worried I am going to muck it up, and the hands on aspect looks useful. That said, we are finishing up SM 6b with no problem so maybe I don't have to worry that much.

Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate it.

My kids used HOE in late elementary years. One son loved it and did it for fun; one son avoided it as much as possible. When we first purchased it I was a bit surprised by how little we got considering the price tag.

The son who loved it is now in 8th grade and working through alg 1. He has had a hard time writing down each step of equations and keeping track of negative signs. Many word problems he is able to solve mentally, but when he tries to write down all the steps, he struggles. I have wondered if so much HOE might have actually contributed to this. But, I tend to fret over every little thing. :)

Your kids can do similar problems online at the National library of virtual manipulatives. Free too.

Algebra scales under Algebra, grades 6-8

http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/category_g_3_t_2.html

About 8-9 years ago, I bought this version (NO DVD lessons/demos) of the program for about $30. It included: 2 colors of pawns, dice, a picture of a balance scale, a packet of student worksheets for practice, and 3 levels of slim booklets leading you through teaching you how to "solve for x".

I used it with then 5th/6th grade DSs. We went through the whole program in about 5-7 days. While it was a very helpful visual/hands-on way to teach an abstract concept for my visual-spatial learner, I thought the price seemed pretty high even back then for such a short usage time, and only teaching ONE concept (plus two slightly more advanced versions of "solving for x"). Yes, both DSs could do equations solving for x afterwards -- although, each was ALSO using a spine math program (older DS = Singapore, younger DS = MUS), and Hands-On Equations was just a visual supplement to make the initial exposure to the concept go more easily, so I honestly can't give ALL the credit to HOE.

You might try some of the free resources FIRST -- AND, the written portion of the first option below is extremely similar to the written explanations in Hands-On Equations.

1. Solving Equations -- the written explanation and practice problems here are very similar to the written explanations in Hands-On Equations

2. Khan Academy Algebra video tutorials here -- video tutorial, very different from Hands-On Equations way of visualizing solving for x, but that may connect well for your DCs' learning styles...

3. Online Math Learning website: Algebra Math Games (scroll about halfway down the page to subheading of "Algebra Games or Activities to Learn How to Solve Equations") -- some of the links take you to VERY similar visuals and explanations as in Hands-On Equations -- of how to solve for x using the picture of a balance scale.

While we did not use the Algebra level of the Keys to ... series, we did use several of the earlier series -- fractions, decimals and percents. Each topic has several workbooks to it (3-5 workbooks, as I recall, with each workbook in the series focusing on a different aspect of the overall topic). These were great for our math struggler as supplement to Math-U-See while doing the Zeta and Pre-Algebra levels of MUS, as the Keys to ... workbooks really helped him nail down those foundational pre-algebra concepts.

The Keys to ... materials are very different in presentation to the Hands-On Equations program; I don't think using both would at all feel "redundant" -- and if there was too much overlap in that one area of solving for x, you could stick with HOE for that, and skim quickly over that same topic in the Keys to Algebra. (JMO: It never hurts to see math from more than one point of view -- especially if you struggle to "click" with the abstract Algebra concepts. ;))

I can't advise you about whether or not it's worth it to buy the Hands-On Equations DVD or not, since I have no personal experience with the video lessons. However -- JMO, BUT -- if I were to buy a version of HOE that costs $100+, I would *certainly* expect it to cover quite a few different algebra topics, and to have enough instruction and material to last for at least a semester! If the pricey version is still only about solving for x -- no way! Go with the linked materials on-line instead.

For that kind of money, I would probably be more inclined to buy the MUS Pre-Algebra teacher manual/DVD instruction set for $55 (or less, used!) -- skip buying the manipulatives, you can just watch the DVD -- and 1 student workbook for $30, and have a full-year spine that would be easy to incorporate with Keys to Algebra and some of the free online tutorials listed above as supplement. Bonus: MUS is probably much easier to resell and recoup more of your investment when you are done with it than Hands-On Equations...

Just my 2 cents worth, and your mileage may vary! BEST of luck in finding what works the best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.