Menu

Need language arts recommendations For 6th grader

As we are rolling into next year, I realize I am still not sure what to do for my son as far as language arts goes. He is currently using CLE but, it takes so much time. I would be fine with the time but, we got his test scores back and he is way advanced (like grade levels ahead) in grammar and spelling. Which is great but, I would like something that does not take as much time in those.

His vocabulary on the other hand was pretty low. He is high functioning autistic and has issues picking up on in context cues.

Because I have other kids and in other subject areas my son needs extra help, I rely on language arts to be the subject he can pick up and go with. This is why I switched to CLE from FLL this last year.

So, I guess what I am looking for is:

- grammar that will continue to sharpen his skills but not take so much time, maybe even not every day

- same for spelling

- program that will help him with vocabulary and the skill of picking up on in context cues.

- programs that my son can do independently

Oh, and these can be different programs. I have writing covered (he loves to write).

I even toyed with just taking a break from grammar/spelling but, will he forget everything?

Okay hive, what do you think?

If he is advanced in grammar, maybe Easy Grammar Daily Grams? Or Evan Moor Daily Language Review?

Spectrum Spelling? Evan Moor Building Spelling Skills?

For comprehension and context clues, you might look at Modern Curriculum Press' Comprehension Plus series. It's full color and has letter levels instead of grade levels, so you can go back as far as you want. Also, you might try Reading Detective by Critical Thinking Company.

For vocabulary, how about Scholastic Vocabulary Cartoons of the Day? There is also Garfield Vocabulary Escapades for Middle School. Queen Homeschool makes some decent vocabulary books as well. If you don't mind lower than grade-level stuff for vocab, we have liked Super Duper Inc.'s Core Curriculum Vocabulary Cards. Marie's Words (from Timberdoodle) look promising, but I am thinking they are for older kids.

As we are rolling into next year, I realize I am still not sure what to do for my son as far as language arts goes. He is currently using CLE but, it takes so much time. I would be fine with the time but, we got his test scores back and he is way advanced (like grade levels ahead) in grammar and spelling. Which is great but, I would like something that does not take as much time in those.

His vocabulary on the other hand was pretty low. He is high functioning autistic and has issues picking up on in context cues.

Because I have other kids and in other subject areas my son needs extra help, I rely on language arts to be the subject he can pick up and go with. This is why I switched to CLE from FLL this last year.

So, I guess what I am looking for is:

- grammar that will continue to sharpen his skills but not take so much time, maybe even not every day

- same for spelling

- program that will help him with vocabulary and the skill of picking up on in context cues.

- programs that my son can do independently

Oh, and these can be different programs. I have writing covered (he loves to write).

I even toyed with just taking a break from grammar/spelling but, will he forget everything?

Okay hive, what do you think?

CLE takes my children only 30-40 min. And I credit it with the reason they are advanced in lang. arts. Well worth the time in our schedule imo...

For comprehension and context clues, you might look at Modern Curriculum Press' Comprehension Plus series. It's full color and has letter levels instead of grade levels, so you can go back as far as you want. Also, you might try Reading Detective by Critical Thinking Company.

For vocabulary, how about Scholastic Vocabulary Cartoons of the Day? There is also Garfield Vocabulary Escapades for Middle School. Queen Homeschool makes some decent vocabulary books as well. If you don't mind lower than grade-level stuff for vocab, we have liked Super Duper Inc.'s Core Curriculum Vocabulary Cards. Marie's Words (from Timberdoodle) look promising, but I am thinking they are for older kids.

I think Reading Detective looks like a good program for someone struggling with context, etc.

Vocab suggestions (other than the above): Vocabulary Vine, Word Roots (also Critical Thinking Co), Word Wisdom (Zaner Bloser). and Wordly Wise (EPS).