Menu

Help me decide: Rosetta or La Clase Divertida?

talltexan

Hi, everyone:

I am looking for a Spanish program to start with my first grade and pre-K boys next year. This past year, I taught them just the basics based on my own years of Spanish training, so they know the alphabet, colors, and some common words. But this year I want something more formal.

Should I invest in Rosetta Stone, or go with La Clase Divertida? Any advice from those who have used these programs with young kids?

I haven't tried Rosetta, but our younger children have enjoyed using La Clase Divertida. We're finishing the third level this year. They liked doing the crafts and cooking projects along with the lessons, particularly the piñata at the end of every year's level. I liked that the kit included everything we would need to do the craft projects, so I didn't have to find materials. The way he teaches the class, especially level 1, is fun for younger children, with songs and games and such.

I'm wondering whether to move into Rosetta Stone next year, since they don't offer a level beyond 3.

Erica in OR

• 3 months later...

We're using La Clase Divertida level 1 with my prek3 and k'er. I think we'll do a level a year without using the workbooks for my k'er, and then repeat them all with workbooks, then start Rosetta Stone in 6th grade for her. For youngest, I am not sure. We could repeat La clase Dicertida 3 times, or try something else. We'll see....

La Clasa Divertida. Rosetta would be torture for kids that age. We're doing LCD and DD loves it. It seems to move slowly, but she's retaining what's taught so I keep my mouth shut. Even my 2 yr old (attempts to) sing the vowel song. She'll walk around the house garbling it.