Menu

K Phonics: ABeka or OPGTR or ???

ByGrace3

I used ABeka K and one with dd followed by AAS. It was ok but I should have skipped the slow start, she was ready for more and I w too afraid to miss anything. I have been slowly working through OPGTR with ds, but we haven't gotten very far mostly because he is in pre k 3 days a week and has some speech issues I need to work on before we get too far in reading instruction. I thought I could not do ABeka again bc I was ready to poke my eye out...but it has been awhile now, and I can't decide which to do with him.

He has a super short attention span. think five yo boy! :tongue_smilie: I get about 5-10 minutes usually before the eyes glaze over. This made me think ABeka might be better bc it is more colorful and varied, but it is longer and after 2 years it still does not get you as far as OPGTR. I looked at AAR but it is expensive and seems like a lot of prep work, I need easy to use. I would like to use what I have if possible, but am open.

What could be the negative of just using the handbook for reading and maybe the Letters and Sounds workbook and just teaching the phonograms then moving onto AAS? I need thoughts! ;) thank you!

:iagree: We are almost done with my dd's Kindergarten year right now, but we are doing Abeka 1 reading. We had started OPG, and while I loved it my dd definitely did not. She always complained about reading, but now she says it is her favorite subject. I plan to go back to OPG after we finish Abeka 1, and I think it will be a lot easier for her after the Abeka reading foundation. I don't do everything in the phonics lesson though. I just quickly go over the new sounds, and then we read the assigned book and the Handbook for Reading. I did buy the Letters & Sounds and so far she hasn't had any trouble at all. If we get to a point where it seems more difficult for her, then I will spend more time on the phonics lesson.

I only used Abeka 1 with my dd, and she was reading at about the 6th grade level after we finished it. So my vote is skip Abeka K, and go straight to Abeka 1. And use all the "optional" flashcards.

Wow, that's great. Though I do not think that is a very typical place for most children finishing ABeka 1. Dd flew through it and still was only at about a 2nd maybe third grade level at the end. After that we completed AAS1- parts of 3 and she is around a 4th/5th now I think.