Menu

Has anyone used Math in Focus?

kaymom

We love it, but I only use the student book and workbook. The TM was too expensive and I find that it is very easy to teach from the student book.

MIF really filled a hole for us that Singapore didn't. I could not understand how to teach Singapore Standards from the HIG. It made zero sense to me. MIF is incremental enough in its explanations that I can teach it no problem. My dd loves the colorful book.

I'm not sure what else you would like to know, but if you have any other questions I will try to answer them.

• 2 weeks later...

We've recently switched to MIF. And so far, I really like it. I had my oldest son start in 1B & we whizzed through it, filling in conceptual gaps left from his previous math instruction. We've now begun 2A, and we're still whizzing. I hope to get him up to grade level (3rd) by the time the new school year rolls around.

I like Singapore style math teaching, but when I tried Primary Mathematics I was spending a good deal of time with my nose in the HIG puzzling out the concept of the day, and figuring out how their game suggestions fit into that. Math In Focus is open and go for me, so I'm spending my time actively teaching math, which my boys need. I like how the games & manipulative suggestions are easy to figure out at a glance, which makes all the difference.

• 1 month later...
I like Singapore style math teaching, but when I tried Primary Mathematics I was spending a good deal of time with my nose in the HIG puzzling out the concept of the day, and figuring out how their game suggestions fit into that.

This is EXACTLY how I felt. I am NOT a math person, and was struggling to teach my non-math kids Primary Math. We were all gettin frustrated. Just recently ordered M-I-F because I heard so many great reviews about the Teacher's Manual. And they were right - I LOVE it!! To me, it is worth EVERY CENT. I highly recommend M-I-F for other non-math homeschooling moms. I'm learning right along with my children and we are all really enjoying math, now!