Menu

What to do in Valdosta, GA?

I may have the opportunity to kick around Valdosta, GA for six hours on a summer Saturday morning. I would have a car at my disposal.

What would you recommend? I would be alone, and I'm middle-aged (not young, spry, or terribly inclined to spend a hot morning at the wildlife center.)

Thanks!

Keep driving to Florida :lol:.

I'm another that only knows Valdosta for being the last town in Georgia off I-75 South. We drive from Michigan, so when we reach Valdosta, it's time to floor it to Florida! Georgia is a LOOOOONNNNGG state.

it is not quite the dusty hole it may have once been :tongue_smilie: It has grown quite a bit, esp in the last few years. The mall has gone from having a handful of stores w/a huge carousel in the middle, to having lots of good stores and no carousel in the middle! Once you get around the mall area, everything you need is right there on those main streets as far as restaurants and shopping (St. Augustine, Baytree). There is a Starbucks, Olive Garden, Buffalo Wild Wings, Red Lobster, Marble Slab, a TJ Maxx...I can't remember what else right now. I haven't been back since December. Oh, I'm from there btw! Guess I shoulda led with that! LOL. But, even with its growth, there isnt really anything to do that is going to keep you busy for 6 hours (unless you are a really slow eater and shopper!) There aren't any good museums or gardens or anything. You could walk around the main campus of VSU if you are into that sort of thing. Or you could walk around downtown. There are a few cute stores, a theatre, but not much in the way of food.

My parents eventually moved, so I only get back there a couple of times a year, so my memory is not perfect. If there are any specific questions you have, just pm me. It would be easy for me to find out! :)

I'm another that only knows Valdosta for being the last town in Georgia off I-75 South. We drive from Michigan, so when we reach Valdosta, it's time to floor it to Florida! Georgia is a LOOOOONNNNGG state.

:iagree: Although, once when we were driving back to Michigan from FL, my dd spiked a VERY high fever in the car. When we got to Valdosta, we found a wonderful hotel that slept all of us AND had an ER right across the street. We were all SO sad to have to leave Disney and I was SO stressed because of a sick dd, Valdosta made me feel safe.

but, I don't know of anything to do there!

My in-laws lived there, dh grew up there, and we visited several times a year until they passed away several years ago.

The only interesting thing we ever did was stop near Tifton (an hour north) and visit the Agrirama, an outdoor agricultural museum. You can see it off of I-75 on the right if you are driving south.

http://www.abac.edu/museum/

I may have the opportunity to kick around Valdosta, GA for six hours on a summer Saturday morning. I would have a car at my disposal.

What would you recommend? I would be alone, and I'm middle-aged (not young, spry, or terribly inclined to spend a hot morning at the wildlife center.)

Thanks!

Visit. That's all. :lol:

:iagree:

The only thing I remember about Valdosta is stopping to get gas at a nasty little gas station and nursing my 6m old before we hit the road again for Disney.