Menu

But yesterday I went driving with a bb gun. A neighbor a couple of miles down has two big dogs that have started attacking my ponies when I drive by. Friday they were trying to bite his face and legs. I had to get off and try to beat them away while holding a frightened pony.

Big GSH pointer and a boxer type. When they charged me yesterday I stopped Patches and took aim and let loose. The older dog turned and ran when he saw the gun, he's obviously been shot before, the younger one stopped and tried to figure things out. I didn't want to hit either one, just shot a warning and it worked.

The owner was sitting on her porch yelling at them. Of course they don't listen.

I told her that I couldn't let them attack my ponies and she agreed. Basically she said go ahead and shoot them. She will not pen them up. These dogs used to just bark and chase, but they've gotten bolder and bolder in their anti-pony measures. The young one used to try to kiss the pony noses and it was cute, but somehow he's gotten aggressive.

Hopefully a few pops and they'll turn tail when they see a pony cart. I really don't want to hurt them but I've had enough.

Do you have a leash law in your state? They are very strict about that here. And if anyone was even caught shooting a dog, it is usually al over the news(even when there is a good reason to do so).

And I think it is sick that the woman said "Go ahead and shoot them"......that is a person who does not belong owning a dog.

Do you have a dog catcher? I would be calling them, or my local ASPCA and report animal cruelty.

You should be able to walk down your street, ride your horses or whatever without the hassle of a dog owner not properly taking care of their dogs.

We are a small town. Not even a town. No stoplights, no police. We do have a gas station. There is a leash law but no one pays attention. We'd rather handle things on our own. If I took a rifle and shot the dogs in the street in front of witnesses I doubt I'd hear a word about it. A dog who doesn't behave meets a bad end around here and these are getting worse by the day.

They were her dh's dogs and he died about six weeks ago. She doesn't want them. One of them was dumped. I did not aim to hit but to scare. I will not tolerate my ponies being attacked.

The right thing is not always the most palatable thing. Remudamom, you are doing the right thing.

If these dogs are bold enough to go after a pony, what's to stop them from going after a child some day? Maybe just you and your gun.

I love dogs, too, but big dogs gone bad are very dangerous.

That is sad and pathetic that this woman does not even want her dogs. No wonder they don't listen.

I would call the ASPCA closest to you and file an animal abuse charge. And, they have attacked your ponies. Like the above pp said, it could be a child next time, or even YOU.

And while I do not condone shooting a dog, aiming to scare if you don't have a choice, is the right thing to do.

But in the long run. These dogs are abused. I feel very sad for them. And this woman who owns them is irresponsible.

The right thing is not always the most palatable thing. Remudamom, you are doing the right thing.

If these dogs are bold enough to go after a pony, what's to stop them from going after a child some day? Maybe just you and your gun.

I love dogs, too, but big dogs gone bad are very dangerous.

:iagree:And I certainly wouldn't blame you from hitting them if they're that aggressive. I used to be a dog person, but after years of living around completely irresponsible dog owners, I'm afraid it's tempered my view of things.

Good for you! At least the owner is in agreement and a few pops may teach them something. When we lived at our previous place, we had wild pit bulls come by and attack my horse. It happened twice. The first time our own dog barked and chased them and I was home and able to get them off, the second time happened right after my mastiff had died and I was at work. My gelding did not fare so well that time. I love dogs too but when I saw the injuries I could have killed those pit bulls with my bare hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update. I bought a cheap airsoft gun to carry in my cart. I have shot at the dogs but not hit them. They seem to know what a gun is. The last times I have gone by they have either run away or just sat there and watched us go by. No more chasing and biting.

The neighbors across the way practically cheer when they see my little gun. These poor dogs seem to be hated by the whole neighborhood.

OH man would I love to take a couple of shots at my neighbor's dogs! If it were legal here (or even if I thought I could get away with it) I would do it in a heart beat!

If it's legal to shoot a person with an airsoft gun why not a nuisance dog?

They were her dh's dogs and he died about six weeks ago. She doesn't want them. One of them was dumped. I did not aim to hit but to scare. I will not tolerate my ponies being attacked.

Well, with her husband having died six weeks ago, I can understand her not wanting to deal with the dumb dogs. Why not help her to get rid of them? There are lots of do-gooders out there that might want to take them on. Some sort of rescue organization or something? That way they would be gone for good, and it sounds like good riddance. And, the dogs might end up in a better place....

I feel sorry for both of you.

Here's an update. I bought a cheap airsoft gun to carry in my cart. I have shot at the dogs but not hit them. They seem to know what a gun is. The last times I have gone by they have either run away or just sat there and watched us go by. No more chasing and biting.

The neighbors across the way practically cheer when they see my little gun. These poor dogs seem to be hated by the whole neighborhood.

I'm so glad it's worked and the dogs aren't bothering you anymore!

ps - I love your pony cart! You must have a blast riding around in it. :)

eta - saraha, how infuriating to lose so many of your animals! It's great that the local authorities are willing to help you be reimbursed for your losses. Why don't people wake up and train their dumb dogs?!

Edited by Mothersweets

• 2 months later...

The problem with shooting them is that you could be the one who ends up with legal issues. She knows you are going to shoot them, and she is probably fine with it as stated. What if she mentions it to a friend or relative? That friend or relative may report it to officials who will come talk to her. She will then state that yes you did/do shoot them. Then you could get into trouble.

The above scenario is a lot of "what ifs" but it is something that could happen. The desired result of shooting them may only last an afternoon too. Often dogs who attack livestock (or ponies in this case) keep doing it despite such actions. This is based on former experience that I have had with neighbors killing my chickens and attacking my goats (years ago).

To solve the problem permanently and to keep yourself from suffering any legal consequences, I would encourage her to call a rescue today. Let her know that aggressive pets could financially harm (or legally) her should they further destroy property or attack a person. Explain it in that you aren't threatening action against her, but if they are attacking yours they are probably going to attack another. Someone else may pursue financial or legal retribution.

Why not help her to get rid of them? There are lots of do-gooders out there that might want to take them on. Some sort of rescue organization or something? That way they would be gone for good, and it sounds like good riddance. And, the dogs might end up in a better place....

:iagree:

It's not the dogs' fault that they're unwanted and untrained. You could take a look around Petfinder, see if you can locate some dog rescues in your area and pass the contact info along to the owner.

For those who have a similar problem, and don't want to use a BB gun.

My Dad shots the local wildlife that comes up to this house. (Not the bear!) with a paint ball gun. It's enough to keep the raccoon and the other local wildlife from getting to daring or comfortable.

(My parents live in a 50 acres wood)

When we first moved to our house there was no fence. There are no leash laws and no one uses fences. My great dane started bothering the neighbor's horses and he came and asked me if he could use a BB gun to chase her off and I said YES! My dogs are trained, loved and pampered, but he needed to protect his horses. It doesn't mean I didn't care about my dog.

We did build a fence as quickly as we could and I did dig one bb out of the dane's leg in the mean time.

I'm a huge dog lover, but when I bike and run, I take whatever measures I need to protect myself. A gun is a bit cumbersome for those two activities ;), but I carry a bag of rocks on my bike and a small spray bottle of vinegar when I run. Dogs don't like either one. And it doesn't bother me if the owners see me going after their dogs, especially when they sit and watch and do nothing to get the dog to retreat.

We had a dog here for awhile that started chasing vehicles that drove past on our dirt road. It was dangerous for both the dog and the people. We told the neighbors (one of them being a BIL and military) to go ahead and use their BB guns on the dog. It only took a couple times and the dog learned to not go out on the road. If I had a dog that actually started attacking horses or cattle though it would be re-homed or put down. I won't have that sort of thing around here. It's not that I don't love my dogs. They are well cared for and well loved, but the safety of others and the the protection of themselves and their livelihood comes first.

I'm a huge dog lover' date=' but when I bike and run, I take whatever measures I need to protect myself. A gun is a bit cumbersome for those two activities ;), but I carry a bag of rocks on my bike and a small spray bottle of vinegar when I run. Dogs don't like either one. [b']And it doesn't bother me if the owners see me going after their dogs, especially when they sit and watch and do nothing to get the dog to retreat.[/b]

:iagree: We've had our fair share of barking, biting dogs in our neighborhood. And the owners doing nothing about it. My 5 year old is still terrified of most dogs because of a horrible little ankle biter (literally) that lived next door when he was younger. The mail man even stopped delivering their mail and he told me the post office contacted them that they had to pick it up or control the dog. All of our neighbors hated it.

Dogs need to be trained early and consistently.

• 2 weeks later...

That is terrible that their owner doesn't even want them, and that she says "Shoot them." No one is taking care of the poor dogs--that is why they are bad and wild.

Does that woman even feed them?

Water them? Obviously she doesn't train them.

I don't think she is doing a good job by her poor husband letting his dogs become wild and get shot at because she won't take care of them.

Sorry; I agree you have to protect your pony.

If we died and set our two mutts loose, they would be just like that.

But with love and gentleness, fenced in, on leash walks, and in the house, they are just this side of wild and bad.

I can't imagine what those dogs are going through--my dogs would miss me so much! My dogs would be wild and bad too.

I bet the dog who used to nuzzle your pony was doing that when his owner (the man)

was still alive.

Those poor dogs have lost their master, and there is no one to love them or teach them any more.

Edited by jhschool

The majority of y'all would be horrified at how the law works here in Texas regarding dogs, horses, guns and property.

We have friends who have a few horses, quite a few acres and a couple of dogs. At the end of their lane and across the road is a property with a few abandoned cars and plenty of stray dogs. They are dropped there constantly. Several of the dogs have taken to running back our friends' property and terrorizing the horses, chasing them, and trying to bite them. Friend started firing the gun to get the dogs away. Dog owner got ticked, called the sheriff. Sheriff showed up and said keep your dogs home. He has every right to protect his property. The guy didn't listen and the dogs got worse and our friend ended up shooting the dogs. I don't know if they died or not, I think the one may have.

Leash laws...out here? :001_huh: THere may be leash laws, pretty sure there are, but enforcement is next to impossible.