Menu

Summer Schedules

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I wondered if those of us who are schooling through the summer would care to post their schedules in a general way. I'd also be curious to know if you plan to carry the same number of hours in the summer as in the other quarters of the year.

I'm working on ours and have two tentative plans, so I'm curious to see what other people have planned.

We usually go down to a much shorter schedule in the summer. When my dd was that age, part was tent time (we would set up the tent and do say an hour in the tent) and part was projects. Maybe 2 hours plus read alouds, NOT a full schedule. It was nice because we could knock out things we didn't get to during the year. We didn't get to do it last summer because of other things. Haven't made out my schedule yet for this year. It's coming together in my mind. It will be something pretty similar, with math and a little LA daily and then projects. I think we're going to start an american geography scrapbook this week. She'll cover 3-5 states a week and make pages for them. That will take the bulk of the summer. Beyond that, she'll play, garden, etc. I always have this dream of camping and hitting all our state parks, but I never get it done. Maybe this year, hehe.

There are a few things I want to use specifically through the summer. Supplemental extras and Math of course. I plan on going with the days as well depending on VBS camps, mini vacations etc... What I am thinking is sleep in, breakfast, jammies and lounging and til 11am. Then an hour of school before lunch. Lunch, naptime for baby and another hour of school and some reading time. Rest of the day should be free after about 2pm. At least that's what I am hoping for! :)

Hey Fractal, did you take your own picture (fog and bridge) for your blog? It's very nice! :)

BTW, I noticed you said you're taking all of August off. I think this is a good idea! I'm going to have to play with our numbers and see if that works out. Sometimes with our work during the summer we hit fall and already feel tired or in a rutt, mercy. I definitely think that's a good tip. :)

Edited by OhElizabeth

Hey Fractal, did you take your own picture (fog and bridge) for your blog? It's very nice! :)

BTW, I noticed you said you're taking all of August off. I think this is a good idea! I'm going to have to play with our numbers and see if that works out. Sometimes with our work during the summer we hit fall and already feel tired or in a rutt, mercy. I definitely think that's a good tip. :)

While I would like to take credit for it, I did not take the bridge/fog photo. It's a standard theme page from WordPress. ;)

And yes, we all need time to relax. :)

We will be doing history two days a week and playing educational games. We also have a large garden and some caterpillars to attend to. Nothing firmly, just enough to keep DS's brain working.

I am teaching DD to read before tue baby is born.

I plan to have them listen to SOTW4 on CD while in the car going places. That way they will have an overview of Modern Times before starting over with the Ancients in the fall.

We will do science experiments and art projects weekly.

We've taken a break from piano lessons so those will resume.

For DS10:

Math and grammar lessons will be used to earn video game time (1 page of work = 15 minutes of game time. I keep track of it with poker chips in a jar; 1 chip = 15 mins).

Reading = video game time. 30 mins reading = 15 mins game time.

For DD6: I need to figure out a reward system but she's not one for video games so I'm not sure where to go there.

We take the full month of July off and start back full strength the first week of August. Like PP said, we need a break, and for our family July is very full, so we wouldn't get much done.

We are going full time until the end of this month. The first week of June my children have a full week of day camp, so we won't do much besides read aloud at night and do their homework for camp the next day (last year they had scripture to memorize each night.) Then the next week week they will have VBS at night, which means they are going to be pretty worn out and sleep in. And the last 2 weeks of June I plan on signing them up for daily swim lessons. I babysit one day a week and that day will be busy taking the kids out to fun places like the library and the zoos and such.

So the plan for June is to do math and history (SOTW4) for the month and maybe continue some science. We usually do a science study of some sort over the summer. I don't know if we will continue what we are on or if we will wrap it up this month and move on. I have a couple of weeks to figure that out. We will do history twice a week for a couple of hours each session. We will do math hopefully 3 to 4 days a week. The children will be signed up for summer reading programs at the library and be keeping track of that. That will be plenty for June. So it is a light schedule, but packed.

We will probably continue at least reading SOTW4 over July. I wouldn't hate it if we could finish it and move on to the ancients at the start of our new school year.

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

I plan to do Math review for about 15 minutes a day, at least 3-4 days a week. Other than that just regular stuff like reading, read alouds, preschool with the little one as she wants. Nothing scheduled. :) We have a garden and get out a lot more in the summer, walking to parks and the library. They usually participate in library activities over the summer. Last year it was chess club and anime club for the big kids.

Well, now I'm scared to post mine. You will all think I'm some sort of dictator.

I've got four to five hours scheduled for school, and other than a week off at the end of May because I've got to work, I've not planned any time off.

We're planning to keep on going with math probably daily (M-F) except when Dh is home. They do reading for the summer reading program at the library and I read aloud at night. Last summer we reviewed AAS words for spelling one day per week, and we'll either do that or keep going in AAS all summer. They'll have 3 weeks of swim lessons, so we do the work in the AM before swim lessons. We also are hoping to start piano lessons in a couple of weeks.

Oh, and we take August off as well. :)

Well, now I'm scared to post mine. You will all think I'm some sort of dictator.

I've got four to five hours scheduled for school, and other than a week off at the end of May because I've got to work, I've not planned any time off.

Hahaha!!! :lol: At first I was going to think you, because now my requirements are going to look light in comparison!! I'm finally getting things down onto a spreadsheet today, so that's good. But seriously, with an *8 yo* you're going to do 4-5 hours a day??? Please tell me a lot of that is READ ALOUDS and legos and him playing while you have classical music in the background, right? :D

School year is grade +1. For summer cut that in 1/2. If you can't do it in that time, you've got the wrong curriculum for the kid or some serious LDs to sort out. ;)

But seriously, with an *8 yo* you're going to do 4-5 hours a day??? Please tell me a lot of that is READ ALOUDS and legos and him playing while you have classical music in the background, right?

1hr math

2hr language art skills (penmanship, reading, narration, writing, spelling, memorization, grammar)

30min art/music

30 min for History/Geography or Science

We've got a four day week though, year around because I have to work the other three. So every weekend is a three day weekend. We go year round. My problem with my schedule was adjusting it to create a block of time for outdoor play in the mornings when the weather is reasonable. The way I've got it set now we get 6am to 12pm to be outside. And we are up early around here year round.

The four older DC will be in day camp for six weeks M-Th. For those weeks they only do short reading/writing and math M-F with Friday being science days. For the youngest the time the olders are at camp is focus time so reading/writing and math with lots of personal time with mom. The rest of the summer is similar, with short reading/writing and math as well as a science day but with more of an individual focus on any weaknesses. Summer is usually when my kids like to blow away my plans for fall by making huge leaps in understanding. :D

We are taking the month of June off of everything and then, in July, we will go back to our regular schedule. We do school 4 days a week. Our day off is normally on Fridays but can be switched to another day if something comes up.

When it gets too hot outside to enjoy the afternoons, we will enjoy our mornings outside and school in the afternoon. We are pretty flexible with our schedule and it has been working for us so we will keep on keeping on.

we have been off for a week for our move and a week at the beginning of last month while we settled in with the adoption of the 3 boys. One is mandated to be in school, and will sadly be retained in 1st grade. I have high hopes to bring him up this summer.

We will be working

Math (mon thru thur)

Listening to SOTW in car

lots of books for the library

and lots of outdoor field trips!

For your family perhaps. But to imply that Critter's boys have LD's or she is making bad curriculum choices just because she (along with many other people) school through the summer is ridiculous.

Oh, I don't mind the criticism from OhElizabeth. But thanks anyway.:001_smile:

Actually I do have one with hFA. It doesn't present a problem in most areas, but his comprehension is not always as fast, so I do give him more practice with narration.

My curriculum very well could be a problem because I tend to very instructor-heavy things--a lot of one-on-one and very little work that is independent. I probably ought to work on adding some independent work for both of my boys this summer to give them more confidence in working alone.

I really didn't think four to five hours for second grade/third grade work was excessive, based on reading the schedules set out in TWTM for that grade. As a matter of fact, I really ought to be including another hour for reading on their own--but I will be having an hour for myself in the evenings for self-education and writing and that will probably also serve as their quiet time to read or listen to audiobooks.

It's just because it is summer that I think most of us feel we should lay back and not do as much. But the summer here is so bad....if I could and should take any month off it ought to be October. We had one day here last August that was 115 with about 90% humidity. We spent most of that day with the curtains drawn, thinking about icebergs and the rest of the day icing down the chickens. School helps take your mind off the fact that outside is baking to a crisp.

I am planning on having my kids doing 1/2 hour of math, 1/2 hour of writing (or piano for my daughter) and 1 hour of reading each day. I will also probably read to them for 1/2 hour each day. (I'm hoping to just slip the independent reading in at bedtime by telling them they can stay up later if they want to read.) They will also spend 15 minutes working on Spanish flashcards or finishing up GSWS. So, really, only 1 hour and 15 minutes of seatwork and then 1 hour and 30 minutes of reading.

They also love audiobooks, so I plan to have plenty of those on hand as well as dvds from the library like Bill Nye, etc. These will just be available for them to use as they like.

I know already that I'm going to have trouble with sticking to 30 minutes for math (because it will kill me to not have them complete a full lesson), but I'm really going to try to stick to these time periods. I want us to have a fun summer and we all need to recharge our batteries.

Lisa

We actually school year round, so we are only going to have June 'off' if we finish up everything this month, like we should. We will be traveling for most of June anyway. We start the new year on July 2nd. Summers are terribly hot here, so we tend to be 'home' anyway. We take breaks in the Fall and Spring b/c of traveling/birthdays/etc.

Does everyone schedule by time instead of just the next lesson?

Because we are still playing catch up, we will continue as usual through the summer, except that we will drop to M-Th (except for math) since Daddy is off Fridays. As a matter of fact, I plan on slowly adding in our new subjects throughout the summer so we're not bombarded in the fall. We will start handwriting this week, our science supplement 1-2 weeks after that, etc. My kids hate being outside in the summer, it's just too hot so whenever they DO choose to go out will be fine, but I don't expect it to be much. I will also slowly be starting my upcoming K'er on her work throughout the summer and hopefully by the "official" "start" of our school year, we will be comfortably in the swing of things. Since we school year round we feel comfortable taking days off here and there, willy nilly knowing we have plenty of time to make it up.

My 2nd grader (7 yrs) has 4-5 hr days on a regular basis during the school year, broken up throughout the day, of course. And that is not counting the silent reading and reading aloud we do as a family throughout the day which is 'required' in our house or extra curriculars. It still leaves her time for extra curriculars and playing outside with the neighborhood kids. We do less time than that in the summer, simply because we (*I*) need a break. I didn't think anything of the schedule, not that my opinion matters :tongue_smilie:

We are ending by May 29th, taking a week off doing some field trips during vacation to Cape Cod/Boston and then taking the rest of the summer "off" until Aug 13th.

Our summer schedule will be field trips, BA for math review, science in the afternoons, summer book club, and continue reading lessons for ds. We will also be listening to American History Stories on audio, evening read alouds, games, and Am.Hist. documentaries.

I try to. For one thing, a lesson for Grammar (KISS for 2nd Grade) or for writing (Aesop) can be longer than my boys can take in one session. I can break it up and try to get it done in the day, but then we run over into history or art. I really like to have art every day--it's just such a good way to spend the 30 minutes after lunch.

So I try to keep everything within the limits the clock sets. What doesn't get done could not have gotten done with a decent attitude and is better left to the next day.

We will be finishing our MEP 2nd year work over the summer, but I don't consider us to be catching up. Just plugging along at the necessary pace for good understanding. Same thing for SOTW 2. I want to take the extra time to go through a biography of some of the famous people we will be learning about in more depth than SOTW text goes, and I only have two days a week for history. That means that I've got to take more time to complete a lesson. I go into more depth in science at times too. That means library work, spending time preparing a lesson, pulling pictures or investigating rabbit trails. So I don't call it catching up. Just going further in.

We're planning to go really light in June and July, maybe taking a full week off each month. By really light, I mean one math lesson plus independent reading each day, plus once or twice a week adding in writing or a science or history read-aloud. An hour a day or less, plus however much DS wants to read on his own. If we get motivated, I may throw in a theme week on the Olympics!

The kids will have July off, but they'll be busy with grandparents and summer camps. Otherwise, we'll have our regular schedule. I like taking a whole month in the summer because the kids look forward to it and I can decompress and plan.

We'll do math all summer, but with two days a week set aside for something different - a game, or a lesson from a different program, etc. Handwriting will get some much needed attention this summer, but just a bit every day. Other than that we will ease our schedule down, have a light July, and then ease it back up in August to a full schedule in September. There are two weeks of travel scheduled, those may be totally vacation.

For the most part we just keep on going from one lesson to the next. :)

We school year round. It really helps my dd(7) to spread out the workload over the course of a full year, so that her daily school work is shorter. Plus, we need that routine...taking even two days off for the weekend is hard. :tongue_smilie:So, we basically do SOMEthing Monday-Saturday, all year. My plan for summer is to do math, phonics, bible, and history. She will read aloud in ten minute segments at least 3x per day. We are working on building her stamina and fluency with regards to reading through vision therapy.

If all goes according to plan, we will also do three weeks of various camps-

June will be farm camp

July will be horse camp

August will be gymnastics camp

No school during those weeks, but they will be learning a ton at camp! :D

Because we are still playing catch up, we will continue as usual through the summer, except that we will drop to M-Th (except for math) since Daddy is off Fridays. As a matter of fact, I plan on slowly adding in our new subjects throughout the summer so we're not bombarded in the fall. We will start handwriting this week, our science supplement 1-2 weeks after that, etc. My kids hate being outside in the summer, it's just too hot so whenever they DO choose to go out will be fine, but I don't expect it to be much. I will also slowly be starting my upcoming K'er on her work throughout the summer and hopefully by the "official" "start" of our school year, we will be comfortably in the swing of things. Since we school year round we feel comfortable taking days off here and there, willy nilly knowing we have plenty of time to make it up.

This will be the first time ever, that I've scheduled by blocks of time rather than by subject/lesson. It is a huge priority for me to make sure we do not spend half of our days doing schoolwork this summer.

Lisa

Limited down summer schedule, fit to the weather, here too. Mostly focus on the 3Rs, but will try for some things that are different than we've been doing so as to have it not be all the same old, same old. It also becomes more "unschool"-like learner driven in the summer. For example, my son and a friend of his want to "make a movie"--so they will do whatever they want with that.

Probably something like 30 min- 1hr per day reading, 30 min-1hr per day math, 15-30 min per day writing. And if the "movie" requires any of this (script writing, reading about how to make a movie, whatever, that will count.)

Because we are still playing catch up, we will continue as usual through the summer, except that we will drop to M-Th (except for math) since Daddy is off Fridays. As a matter of fact, I plan on slowly adding in our new subjects throughout the summer so we're not bombarded in the fall. We will start handwriting this week, our science supplement 1-2 weeks after that, etc. My kids hate being outside in the summer, it's just too hot so whenever they DO choose to go out will be fine, but I don't expect it to be much. I will also slowly be starting my upcoming K'er on her work throughout the summer and hopefully by the "official" "start" of our school year, we will be comfortably in the swing of things. Since we school year round we feel comfortable taking days off here and there, willy nilly knowing we have plenty of time to make it up.[/quote

I schedule by the lesson. We get through things fast though. If I spent an hour on any subject we would finish 2 level of everything in a year. We do shorter lessons to give time for concepts to sink in as we do 5 days of practice on nouns, verbs, sentences etc. Same with math. But, that is what works for us, so we do it.

We'll just keep going...and going... and going....

We've had a lot of time off this year with traveling, and I decided to make any weekday that we are at home a school day.

But, my mom is coming to visit tonight and will stay for 2 weeks, so we will take time off to show her around town and do some fun field trips that are too crowded on the weekends.

We will be doing math and reading daily. Also we will be doing 3 unit studies that will take 2 weeks each. So about 3 hours a day. They also will be doing football, cheerleading, vbs, and swimming throughout the summer. I am trying to keep it light and fun for my kids this summer.

It looks like everyone treats summer schedules for school in very different ways. Some of us treat it as an extension of the regular school year but may alter the time of day (as I do) for weather or things like swimming lessons. Others scale back and use summer for extracurricular activities or use it as more of a school break.

So, no right or wrong way to do it.

I ran my first summer schedule day yesterday. It went very well. I was able to get my four miles of running in before the temperature climbed above 80, and the boys got to run with me for a mile and play the rest of the time. We even got to have a sit down lunch with Dad, had all of our laundry and dishes done well before the evening hours and even had time for a nice walk up the road together to watch the sunset. And we got in our four hours of school getting through everything but formal drawing lesson. Both boys had ample time to work on their favorite things: building with Knex and writing his book for one boy, art and galloping with the dogs for the other boy.

So far I'm pretty pleased with the new schedule. We'll see how it works for the week.

We are doing some camps: drama camp for all 3, Shakespeare Camp and Judicial for 17 ds.

The kids will do math every day and reading -1 hour min. a day.

We are also finishing up FFLatin I and will start FFLatin II.

We'll be having our WWSI class through June.

Ds 12 will watch TC Chem with 22dd (she's starting a nursing program in the fall and wants the refresher - he just finished McHenry's pre-Chem and LOVED it). 22 yo is going to watch "how to be a superstar student with 12 yo, too. (moral support for each other).

We'll be doing some work on the house (drywalling in attic, trim in basement- that sort of thing and hopefully a project from Ana White's site- I figure it's home-ec/shop) and gardening/ canning/landscaping projects.

I hope to lead a History of the Horse unit study with my 3rd/4th grade writing group.

The kids went in on a17' pool so we plan to spend a lot of time splashing :001_smile:

Ds is done with his main math curriculum (MM) for the year and I have no intention of starting the next level until fall. This summer we'll continue working on Miquon which we use as a supplement and continue some basic addition/subtraction practice with a Kumon workbook and computer games.

We didn't start WWE1 and FLL1 until January so we'll continue those over the summer as well since I would like to start the second level of each in August. We'll do read alouds and daily reading, of course, and probably some of the logic problems and word puzzles that ds enjoys. In addition to those things I'm hoping to do lots of messy outdoor art this summer (which will be tied into our art history study.)

Overall, I imagine we'll continue to do school on a lighter schedule maybe 3-4 days/week. Realistically it's not going to happen everyday though because we also need lots of time for playdates, sleepovers, trips to the pool, hiking, camping and other outdoor fun. I'm planning on continuing through May and June, taking off most of July for a family vacation and to pull together a nice end-of-year portfolio, and then start up again all fresh and new in early August when local public school begins.

We should be finished by May 18 with school. We 'll do typing,handwriting,reading and math. He also doing a paper over the Smokey Mountains. We are going on vacation there. Then we take off first two weeks in June for family vacation. He has a basketball camp in the last part of June. He has a Lego mindstrom camp in the middle of July that is all day. The Vbs and a trip to my hometown in the last part of July. We work in the afternoon after camps. We have homeschool convention in early August. Then we start back Aug.13.

Now the question is what do with step dd.We have her until June 31. I hope the last two weeks of June we can do a study skills course, algebra review, get one books out the way for English3. She will join us next year to homeschool.

we take the summer off for the most part & we'll start back in mid august. my kids will still have to do math & reading though (one lesson and one chapter a day). my kids don't have chores (well...let me rephrase that...they have things they do to help around the house but they do not get paid), so a way to earn some extra cash this summer...i told them i'd give them $5 a week if they get their schoolwork done first thing and without grumbling.

i'd give them $5 a week if they get their schoolwork done first thing and without grumbling.

Shhhh...mine will hear you!:tongue_smilie:

Just wanted to share that I began our summer schedule on Sunday, and as of today it is a huge hit with all of us. I am managing to get in the gardening, the housework, and exercise for all of us, am able to cook lunch. (That was huge, because I wasn't sure how Tuesday was going to go since the housekeeping that day is kitchen, dining room, laundry room and one bathroom and Tuesday happens to be my big cooking day.) School is starting at 1pm, and has been finishing at five sharp. We've even had time in the evenings to go for walks, and yesterday to go visit family without feeling rushed to get things done.

I like it so much it may be difficult to change back in the fall! But I'll have too. I don't run well on 20 degree mornings.

It looks like everyone treats summer schedules for school in very different ways. Some of us treat it as an extension of the regular school year but may alter the time of day (as I do) for weather or things like swimming lessons. Others scale back and use summer for extracurricular activities or use it as more of a school break.

So, no right or wrong way to do it.

This is so true. Some people use the summer to finish up whatever didn't get done, while others use it as a continuation of the year. I tend to think of it as a continuation of the year and almost begrudgingly lighten the load to avoid burn-out, but I'm starting to rethink this a bit. To what end? We risk burn-out even with the somewhat lighter load, is it truly necessary?

It is nice to see what other people do and try to give myself some perspective.

We will be ending next week for the 2011-2012 year. My plan is to take the rest of May and all of June off. We will start the new year on July 9th. It gets way too hot here in July and August to spend too much time outside. We try to spend more time outside in the early summer and fall.

I simplify and cut waaay back during the summer. This year's plans...

California history through stories/books and field trips.

Math games and living books.

We're going to read The Story Book of Science (Fabre)

Dd9 will finish Phonics and Reading Pathways... I hope.:001_unsure:

Ds10 reads like a maniac, so I am sure there will be a lot of that going on!

And that's it. Oh, and of course we'll keep going with read alouds besides CA history related ones... Gone Away Lake and Return to Gone Away are on the agenda. I'll add to that as we go.

This will be our first year at home and we have several things going on. Liam will be going into second grade, but due to some bad school problems this year with his teachers he's a bit behind. I've been afterschooling him with Math, Spelling and Reading. His last week of school (a half week) we'll take the whole week off and then start up full-time after that in June. I'm not sure I necessarily plan to school year-round long term but this year will be weird for us anyway. DH will be gone for training for most of July and the boys and I are going on a week vacation (no school coming with us). Then in August, we'll take two weeks off for block leave with DH. He deploys again in late summer/early fall and so the boys and I are driving out east and will be gone for 5 weeks in the October timeframe and I'm planning to take that whole month off of schooling and then again in Dec/Jan. We then move overseas when DH gets back in the Spring so I'm allowing time for that. Anyway, so I guess my short answer is that we are going to start up in June so our summer will be a "normal" schedule for the most part with some weeks off here and there. It also gives me time to get used to HSing as much as possible before DH leaves and I'm completely on my own.

It's so interesting to read everyone else's plans for the summer and how everyone thinks of their school year. We school year round and actually tend to school heavier in the summer. My dh has a seasonal job in constructin and therefore has winters off. He schools a lot in the winter months while I do taxes so I cut the schedule back to the basics for the most part for him. So I consider us just starting the new school year this past week with my 6 yo as a first grader and my newly turned 5 yo as a K'er. We are just backward with the world! :tongue_smilie: but that's the best part of homeschooling, you make it what works for YOUR family!

Our summer is still a bit up in the air. We are not sure where we will be living in the fall or when we will be starting the next school year (could be mid-August to early Sept.) Our current school year officially ends June 8, but due to traveling and a surgery we won't start "summer school" until the beginning of July. Best-case scenario, dh will get offered a job this month and we will move into a new place before traveling. Then I can fit 4 weeks of work in there. Worst-case scenario, we will stash our stuff in a storage unit and unpack it when things settle out.

We are switching back to CLE after a year of Saxon, and will be doing a couple light units at a fast pace this summer since it is review. I'd also like to finish up GWG 4. We didn't start until Feb, so we've been doing it 5x a week, but I might save the rest for fall if it's too much for summer.

I am also going to do a unit study in Alaska that I bought during the Scholastic sale. It incorporates some geography, science, math, and culture. It has 6 units and each may take about a week, so I might just start that early.