Menu

I've messed up my son's hair!

I've always cut my dh and ds's hair. I've got a "professional" kit and all.

Because of a hand injury I hadn't done ds for a month -and his hair was already too long before this. His hair was completely out of control so today,

despite my hand not being 100% all right I decided to give him a trim.

I don't know what's happened but I seriously messed up. His hair looks terrible! it is all spikey and uneven. I may have to take him to a kiddie barber just to fix this mess. DS has never been to a barber because his terrified the barber will hurt him and the noise of the electric clipper reminds him of the doctor's office.

Should I take him to a barber and ask him to "toughen up" and get over his fear or should I leave him alone and let him sporting a funny haircut -and wait for his hair to outgrow the bad haircut?

Edited by desertmum

Since your son is scared of clippers not sure what to say. My Ds moved during a hair cut. I cut a center clump really short. Dh has clippers for his hair. I set them to the longest setting and hair fixed. Been using the clippers every since. It is so much easier and much more consistent then what I did "free style". Hold the clippers against your finger to show him that he won't be cut. My DS did not want the clippers but we had no choice. He still dislikes them but prefers me to the barber. :grouphug:

I'm probably no help considering my daughter has shaved half her head and kept the rest of it long, but I'd leave it if he's fine with it (I'm assuming he's even scared of you using clippers). I get being afraid of the clippers. I have a pixie, so I get my neck clipped and I nearly hyperventilate each time. It gets better when I get used to the same person doing it, though. Also, dh has a pretty short cut and they only use clippers on his neck. You could request that they don't use clippers.

I'm probably no help considering my daughter has shaved half her head and kept the rest of it long, but I'd leave it if he's fine with it (I'm assuming he's even scared of you using clippers). I get being afraid of the clippers. I have a pixie, so I get my neck clipped and I nearly hyperventilate each time. It gets better when I get used to the same person doing it, though. Also, dh has a pretty short cut and they only use clippers on his neck. You could request that they don't use clippers.

I have a pixie too. DS kept saying he didn't want his hair to look like mine.:glare: I use sharp scissors and because they tickle the back of ds' neck he keeps jumping so the back looks pretty uneven. The local barbers seem to cut men's and boy'a hair really short and use clippers mostly -it's the local custom. DS hair is usually 3" long and I'm always asked if he is a girl.:glare:

BTW I love your avatar. :)

He's 5? I'd leave it be, it's grow. Sorry- I've done some pretty bad cuts on the little guys when I've been halfway through and they decided to stop cooperating!:tongue_smilie:

:lol:

the difference between a bad hair cut and an OK one is 3 days

Just leave it.

It could even be fashionable, sometimes when I look at middle age women and their haircuts I think they look like how my mother use to cut my brothers' hair on a bad day.

:lol: Well, my dh came home and he said ds looks "jazzy" (???). I decided to leave the hair alone because it is not worth the grief of dragging him to the kiddie barber shop at the mall.:tongue_smilie::chillpill:

I gave DS7 a really bad cut last time because he moved twice. I let it grow out and this time his hair looks great. DS8 asked for a mohawk and that worked out pretty well too (just need to get mousse to keep it up). But, I messed up DH's hair. I slipped on a piece of hair on the floor and basically shaved his sideburn off and then halfway up his head. Had to take it down to a 1/4 inch and he looks right sexy!!!!!!

Sometimes I cut ds's hair, sometimes I don't. (He's never forgotten that I nicked his ear when he was three.)

When I take him to get it cut, we go to the cheap places such as Supercuts. Their clipper are practically silent, nothing like the ones I use at home. If you take him, he can hear how quiet they are ahead of time. I'm sure that someone would be accommodating to ease his fears.

The other alternative is to just use one length all over your ds's head. It's harder to mess that up, and you can convince him it will be nice and cool for summer.

My dd begged me to cut her hair. After the first, way too short, cut, I stuck her hair in a ponytail and took her to Supercuts, haha. It was the last time she ever asked me to do it.

Wear a hat.

:)

My son is wearing a hat right now, since he hates his new hair cut.

But it's not my fault since he cut - to his skin chunks of hair of a head. He is seven almost eight.

He is waiting for it to grow out. I cut the rest of his hair military cut. But if I wanted to match his cut job I would have had to shave his head.

Dh says he looks like he was hit on the head with a ax.

Sometimes a bad cut works out ok- I accidentally (ok, perhaps slightly purposefully) made a mistake when cutting my husband's hair back when we were engaged 13 years ago & had to shave his head (I really thought it would look better shaved because he was at least 30% bald already at age 19 and the combover was doing no favors). Well, he ended up loving it- after his anger subsided. He hasn't had it longer than a 1/4" since then! :)

A little spiky gel might work wonders!

DS16 attracts bad hair cuts like moths to a flame. And when he finds a stylist who does a good job, they immediately move out of state after cutting his hair. :D

Some gel through the top to spike it up will hide almost anything. If it still looks bad, issue him a baseball cap for a week. Seriously - kid hair grows fast.