Menu

CLEP and AP tests, out of curiosity...

Which individual course tests have you/will you use for your high schooler?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which individual course tests have you/will you use for your high schooler?

• CLEP tests only
    • AP tests only
    • Other individual course tests (specify?)
    • A combination of options 1-3
    • None
    • Obligatory "other"

I voted "other" because we'll be doing AP exams and SAT2 subject tests.

(That didn't seem to fit "combination of 1-3" because I don't foresee any CLEP tests in my kids' futures, but -- as of this month -- they both will have taken both APs and SAT subject tests.)

I had to go with "other," because we're still discussing which way to go with this.

I know the AP is considered more prestigious, but it seems like a lot of hassle. I just cannot imagine me actually following through with calling high schools to find one willing to administer the exam and all of that stuff. And I hate the idea that we'd be tied down to a single date, too. (My son is busy pretty much all of the time.)

In addition, at this point, it doesn't look like my son is aiming at a highly selective college or program. And he will likely have a year of community college courses, too, before he applies to any four-year school. So, I'm not at all sure the prestige element means much in his case.

So, I'm drawn to the idea of CLEP. It's multiple choice, computer based and can be taken whenever he wants to do so during the year at the community college or university testing center.

I've already checked and copied the list of the CLEP exams our local state university (which is a leading contender for my son at this point) accepts for credit.

My husband, though, thinks we should not close the door on the idea of AP, either, and is advocating having our son take at least one or two of those exams. So, there is a possibility we might do that, although I might insist that my husband -- who is much better at that sort of thing -- make arrangments with the high school.

I actually went to the library today and checked out prep books for both the CLEP and a couple of AP exams. I plan to sit down with them over the next week and do some comparing and constrasting.

In addition, at this point, it doesn't look like my son is aiming at a highly selective college or program. And he will likely have a year of community college courses, too, before he applies to any four-year school. So, I'm not at all sure the prestige element means much in his case.

I think I have realized that this is where my oldest dd is heading as well. I stressed myself (and her) out about taking AP classes/exams when the reality is that I don't believe they are necessary in her situation. She will take CC classes and SAT2s; should she find an AP class that interests her then I'll consider signing her up yet the cost is prohibitive so I'm rather hoping she doesn't find anything that catches her eye. ;)

My 14yos will most likely follow in his older sister's footsteps (CC classes, SAT2s). My 13yod sophomore, on the other hand, would thrive on AP classes and may be headed for a more competitive environment after high school.

We do --

1) AP's (lots of them -- my kids thrive on the things)

2) SAT-2's (minimum 3 per kid, but 75% of my kids will have five or more)

3) college classes (combination of local 4-year and CC)

We don't do CLEP's simply because the only colleges my kids have looked at that accept CLEP's have been their back-up colleges.

I voted "other" because we'll be doing AP exams and SAT2 subject tests.

(That didn't seem to fit "combination of 1-3" because I don't foresee any CLEP tests in my kids' futures, but -- as of this month -- they both will have taken both APs and SAT subject tests.)

Same here. AP and SAT subject tests.

1) AP's (lots of them -- my kids thrive on the things)

2) SAT-2's (minimum 3 per kid, but 75% of my kids will have five or more)

3) college classes (combination of local 4-year and CC)

Similar story here with AP exams, SAT Subject tests, plus National Latin and Greek exams in addition to an assortment of community college classes.

Regards,

Kareni

When my son was in 8th or 9th, I had thought it would be wise to cover our bases with AP, dual enrollment and CLEP. But research led to me to scratch CLEP off the list since it was apparent that the private LACs in which my son showed interest in attending do not give credit for CLEP exams.

I do think it is wise to validate those Mommy grades in some form. I also believe that not everyone needs to do this is the same manner since opportunities are not the same. By this I mean that some kids have access to good community college programs; others do not. Some can enroll in dual enrollment through a four year university. It was challenging to find testing facilities for my son to take AP exams--we are not alone in this one.

It is also clear that some of us have our kids participate in dual enrollment or AP but do not plan on shaving a semester or year off of their college program. Some students use these programs and CLEP to minimize their time in college.

There is no one size fits all solution here although I do think it is safe to say that competitive colleges are more interested in AP than CLEP. (Excuse me while I now duck the tomatoes.)

Jane

The DSST is not mentioned often, Martha. Maybe you could discuss this? I had been under the mistaken impression that the DSST was just for military people but this is not true.

True, it started with the military, but anyone may take them now.

Here are the main differences between a DSST and a CLEP:

Both are timed, multiple choice.

DSST has a bit more time than CLEP, but is also general considered harder than the CLEPs.

DSST is 4 multiple choice answers, CLEP is 5.

CLEPs are only for lower level credits over general core subjects, DSST offers an opportunity for both lower and upper level credits on more specific subjects.

The subjects are different, so they aren't as likely to duplicate credits and more likely to find a topic of individual interest.

There are lots of study materials for CLEPs and APs, but DSSTs are more a textbook list and then give it a go type of situation. (Which doesn't matter to me bc I make a full course study rather than depend soley on the guide anyways.)

We don't do APs any more after a bad experience. The ps changed the answer sheet on my dd and she "failed" the bio exam. We just use the college for courses now. The kids get the credit, plus we have profs to write recommendations. My oldest did three SATIIs but not the next two. The academies don't look at them.

When you say the academies don't look at them, are you refering to using SATII's to validate courses? If so, based on the USNA course validation policy, I'd agree.

If you mean that it has no bearing on how the high school transcript would be regarded, I'm not sure I would agree.

When my son was in 8th or 9th, I had thought it would be wise to cover our bases with AP, dual enrollment and CLEP. But research led to me to scratch CLEP off the list since it was apparent that the private LACs in which my son showed interest in attending gave credit for CLEP exams.

I do think it is wise to validate those Mommy grades in some form. I also believe that not everyone needs to do this is the same manner since opportunities are not the same. By this I mean that some kids have access to good community college programs; others do not. Some can enroll in dual enrollment through a four year university. It was challenging to find testing facilities for my son to take AP exams--we are not alone in this one.

It is also clear that some of us have our kids participate in dual enrollment or AP but do not plan on shaving a semester or year off of their college program. Some students use these programs and CLEP to minimize their time in college.

There is no one size fits all solution here although I do think it is safe to say that competitive colleges are more interested in AP than CLEP. (Excuse me while I now duck the tomatoes.)

Jane

I had a long chat with the College Board CLEP reps at the Cincinnati Homeschool Conference.

They seemed genuinely surprised when I told them my perception was that CLEP was not well regarded by college admissions offices. One rep said that she'd been a college admissions officer in the Midwest for many years and that she'd not heard of CLEP being regarded as lower level. FWIW, she had worked at a state college/university consortium, which may have had something to do with her experience and point of view.

They also said that many of the colleges that had "credit by examination" were using CLEP as the test instrument, even if that was not specified on their website.

I'm taking this with a grain of salt, since they are the reps for the company that makes money off of the test (no matter what help it might provide in applications or validation). However, I did find that you can use the college search function at the College Board CLEP site to see the specific criteria used by specific colleges. I found the most useful way to use this was to search by state and browse for the college name I was looking for.

I'm not sure if I'm totally convinced that CLEP is the way to go. I'm a little more generous that it might not be the ugly stepsister of exam options, at least for the purpose of quantifying the level of work done in high school. And I try to keep that purpose separate in my mind from the potential use for course validation.

Can I ask, if you used the CLEP tests, was it something you planned for the whole year or did you just spend the last month or so reviewing practice tests and the like and assumed your basic curriculum was sufficient?

I had assumed from threads here and just general reading on the internet that AP exams come at the end of AP level courses... meaning you are upping the level of the course overall... or is that not true?

I also wanted to ask, maybe it should be another poll, when your students started taking these tests. I see threads here about the tests and people saying you should look at the college(s) where your child has interest, but my kid as no specific interest at the moment and we have no clue where we will be in four years, lol. So would you take tests just to "have them handy"? Do your kids take these tests even towards the end of freshman year (or earlier)?

Can I ask, if you used the CLEP tests, was it something you planned for the whole year or did you just spend the last month or so reviewing practice tests and the like and assumed your basic curriculum was sufficient?

I had assumed from threads here and just general reading on the internet that AP exams come at the end of AP level courses... meaning you are upping the level of the course overall... or is that not true?

It would really depend on the student and what is "basic curriculum" in that home.

For us, I make a course on the exam subject and then we spend approx 2-3 weeks reviewing/studying and practicing for the exam. The great thing about the CLEP is you can practice until you are ready and then take it. REA and Petersons both offer practice exams. When the student is doing well enough to score approx 65-70 on either, they should have reasonable confidence of passing the actual exam with a worthy score.

How long the course/study is will vary on the topic and previous knowledge base of the individual.

I just looked at my state and two neighboring states. Of each state's flagships state universities (more than one for each state), only one will always accept CLEP. One will sometimes accept it for non-traditional students. One will administer the test to enrolled students. All the others do not accept CLEP in any way.

I've marked which schools take which because I want to be efficient. We'll probably end up with a mix of AP, CLEP, and CC classes. Right now (subject to more research), it looks like we can CLEP out of a few liberal arts-type freshman-level classes at the majority of the schools, use AP to show general ability and get Latin credit, and then take Spanish and IT at the CC in the last few years of high school.

I also wanted to ask, maybe it should be another poll, when your students started taking these tests.

So would you take tests just to "have them handy"? Do your kids take these tests even towards the end of freshman year (or earlier)?

AP's -- many kids do them freshman year, but my kids have only done at most 2 during sophomore year and then 2-3 per year thereafter.

We figure that AP's are good to have -- even if the college won't give credit for the exam score, the AP score may help them to get into the college and even to receive merit aid.

SAT-2's -- can be done at the end of freshman year, especially the science ones if your student had a strong science class. My kids each do ~5, taking approximately 1 freshman year (science), 1 sophomore year (math level 1), 2 junior year, and 1 in the fall of senior year.

SAT=2's may not be required by a college for admission, but strong SAT-2 exam scores may help a student be a more competitive applicant and even receive more merit aid.

When my kids were in 9th grade, we had no idea where they might go to college, but we figured that good outside verification of educational achievement is always a good thing.

• 1 year later...

My girls are taking CLEP and DSST. We've done psyc CLEP and hope to take Astronomy DSST in a few weeks. The girls do duel-enrollment so the college takes the credit with no problem. :) We don't like the AP because the test is only given once a year and that isnt' efficient for us.

Yes an older thread, but apparently I missed it last year. Spring is a busy time around the farm, so that's my excuse. The info is likely still relevant to those considering...

Oldest did none. (Did one DE class)

Middle did 2 AP (Stats and Psych + 3 DE classes)

Youngest did none (3 DE classes)

No CLEP or AP tests here. And fine without them.

BUT... both DSs have gone the dual enrollment - graduate to community college - probably transfer to local university route. So, no need for AP or SAT II scores for competitive college entrance; no personal drive by DSs to CLEP and finish early; and volunteering and a high-enough SAT has earned one DS two scholarships at the CC, so no need for further tests for merit awards, either.

BUT... my answer is based a lot on where I live, and what my DC's goals (or rather, lack of clear career goals all during high school) are. And from what I see of how families on this Board over the years have decided to handle this decision, really, really depends on a handful of variables:

- whether or not the student has any idea of what s/he wants to do as a career

- what specific career field the student is interested in (STEM, medicine, fine arts, humanities, missions, travel, work/start own job, vocational or 2-year degree career interest, etc.)

- what college the student wants to attend -- if any

- how good / bad the local community college is (for dual enrollment or starting on college classes and transferring credits)

- if the student's choice of university does / doesn't accept CLEP, AP, or dual enrollment credits

Totally JMO: If my student is likely to NOT be shooting for a top-tier school or a highly competitive school, then I'd be skipping the tests and focusing on the extracurriculars, volunteering/community service, developing the student's personal interests, and a little extra time on SAT/ACT test prep to score well for admissions, but esp. scholarship possibilities. And *possibly* a few SAT Subject Tests IF the student was showing interest in grade 11-12 for a private college that would be a good match for the student and the college required some SAT II tests.

re: when to take tests?

Based on what I've seen on this Board, the highest percent of students taking these tests are in grades 11-12. But I've also seen student in grade 10, or even grade 9, successfully taking APs. It really comes down to how well would YOUR student do on a particular AP test at a younger age. Or is that AP test only offered when your student is in a younger grade. And if your student would do better when older, but the AP won't be offered then, do you risk having your student go ahead and take the test and risk a lower score that won't help as far as possible college credit or helping your student stand out... Ug! tough call! Again every student is SO different, only you will be able to make that call for your student.

That's what makes this decision-making so tough -- every student's variables are SO different! BEST of luck as you wrestle through the test-taking decisions! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Yes an older thread, but apparently I missed it last year. Spring is a busy time around the farm, so that's my excuse. The info is likely still relevant to those considering...

Oldest did none. (Did one DE class)

Middle did 2 AP (Stats and Psych + 3 DE classes)

Youngest did none (3 DE classes)

I'm not familiar with DE classes. Can someone explain what they are and how they differ, or are similar, to AP classes?

Thanks!

ETA: Oops, I just realized this means Duel Enrollment classes. duh... It's late...sorry.

My oldest did dual credit classes at the local cc. She ended up with 42 credit hours. She didn't do any SAT-II or AP tests.

My middle did dual credit classes at the local cc. She ended up with 36 credit hours. She also took the AP Physics B test and the SAT-II test for US History and Chemistry.

My youngest is likely to do dual credit classes just because she can take up to 2 classes/semester at no charge. She might possibly do some CLEP, but I don't see her doing any other testing.

My oldest has started taking CLEP/DSST tests this year. (So far they've actually been DSST's, but I use the term CLEP because that is what people are most familiar with.)

Someone asked if we just take the exam- I don't, at this point in my child's life. I incorporate the exam into her studies and take it at the end of a semester, or year.

We will probably do AP, such as the Music Theory which is not offered in a CLEP form. The biggest drawback to AP is that it's only offered once a year, whereas I can walk into the CLEP college office at any time to take one.

I don't know where DD will be going to college, but even if they don't accept these tests, they're still a great validation of both mommy grades AND her hard work and dedication. There's just something special about finishing a Jr High school year by earning college credits!

When my son was in 8th or 9th, I had thought it would be wise to cover our bases with AP, dual enrollment and CLEP. But research led to me to scratch CLEP off the list since it was apparent that the private LACs in which my son showed interest in attending do not give credit for CLEP exams.

Jane

No tomatoes here. I found the bolded to be true in our research, as well. I also noticed the the privates that we have looked at won't take CLEP. Since it's nearly impossible to get *merit aid* from the privates we considered, my kids aren't going private. The publics that we looked at, for the most part, accept CLEP. It varies from school to school, so we'll go that route for a few classes.

I've marked which schools take which because I want to be efficient. We'll probably end up with a mix of AP, CLEP, and CC classes. Right now (subject to more research), it looks like we can CLEP out of a few liberal arts-type freshman-level classes at the majority of the schools, use AP to show general ability and get Latin credit, and then take Spanish and IT at the CC in the last few years of high school.

I did exactly this. Neither child wants to go far away, so I printed lists from each possible school and compared. For one child, DE was chosen, and for the other child, it will be a combination of DE, CLEP, and AP classes.

Just realized this is a resurrected thread!

I leave this info anyway b/c I didn't know this until the last few days:

a few schools that actually give credit for Latin based on SAT 2 scores.

I didn't even notice, but I'm glad you left your post! :001_smile:

No CLEP or AP tests here. And fine without them.

BUT... both DSs have gone the dual enrollment - graduate to community college - probably transfer to local university route. So, no need for AP or SAT II scores for competitive college entrance; no personal drive by DSs to CLEP and finish early; and volunteering and a high-enough SAT has earned one DS two scholarships at the CC, so no need for further tests for merit awards, either.

BUT... my answer is based a lot on where I live, and what my DC's goals (or rather, lack of clear career goals all during high school) are. And from what I see of how families on this Board over the years have decided to handle this decision, really, really depends on a handful of variables:

- whether or not the student has any idea of what s/he wants to do as a career

- what specific career field the student is interested in (STEM, medicine, fine arts, humanities, missions, travel, work/start own job, vocational or 2-year degree career interest, etc.)

- what college the student wants to attend -- if any

- how good / bad the local community college is (for dual enrollment or starting on college classes and transferring credits)

- if the student's choice of university does / doesn't accept CLEP, AP, or dual enrollment credits

Totally JMO: If my student is likely to NOT be shooting for a top-tier school or a highly competitive school, then I'd be skipping the tests and focusing on the extracurriculars, volunteering/community service, developing the student's personal interests, and a little extra time on SAT/ACT test prep to score well for admissions, but esp. scholarship possibilities. And *possibly* a few SAT Subject Tests IF the student was showing interest in grade 11-12 for a private college that would be a good match for the student and the college required some SAT II tests.

re: when to take tests?

Based on what I've seen on this Board, the highest percent of students taking these tests are in grades 11-12. But I've also seen student in grade 10, or even grade 9, successfully taking APs. It really comes down to how well would YOUR student do on a particular AP test at a younger age. Or is that AP test only offered when your student is in a younger grade. And if your student would do better when older, but the AP won't be offered then, do you risk having your student go ahead and take the test and risk a lower score that won't help as far as possible college credit or helping your student stand out... Ug! tough call! Again every student is SO different, only you will be able to make that call for your student.

That's what makes this decision-making so tough -- every student's variables are SO different! BEST of luck as you wrestle through the test-taking decisions! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I agree with all of it, but especially the bolded. Since neither of my kids was interested in a school that even suggested SATs, we aren't bothering with them. We (they) focused on their extra currics and volunteering rather than take a bunch of tests. So far, so good for them. Now, if dd drastically changes her mind about going far away, then she might be in a bind if she needs those tests!!

My son is taking both CLEP and SAT II in Chemistry -- the CLEP for potential college credit and the SAT II because it counts in lieu of a NY Regents exam toward a high-school diploma (in NY, one option is to take 5 Regents exams to get your degree). We figured we'd maximize the testing while it's still fresh in his mind.