Menu

dd has trouble putting thoughts on paper

sweetTN

My dd (8) is very verbal and dramatic. She can retell stories in great detail and loves to act out the question and answer. But she has can't seem to put her thoughts onto paper when answering a question or writing a summary. She is an excellent speller, just can't seem to put pencil to paper. Anyone else have this problem? I would love some suggestions on how to get her started writing. This is our first year of HSing.

Hi, Gwendolyn!

I am also new to homeschooling, but in a past life I taught English in the public schools for almost 10 years. Based on my experience with kids and the research I've been doing to prepare our homeschool, I would say keep it simple and focus more on quality than quantity.

After reading a section from a book you are studying or reading together, simply ask your daughter to relate what has happened in a one or a few sentences. Is she capable of writing this herself? If not, you can write it for her until she can. Over time, she can be asked to respond to longer sections, provide more detail, organize her thoughts into sections, etc.

If she is not ready to start with her own narration, you can read together and you can dictate summaries to her for a while, or she can copy summaries that you have written. Basically, start from wherever she is and build from there.

Welcome to the beginning of the journey. It's nice to have some company.:)

For a very thorough explanation on the "how" and "why" of these techniques for elementary and junior high aged writers, order the Writing Without Fear CD by SWB from Peace Hill Press. It'll tell you everything you need to know to get your daughter started on writing. It has been extremely helpful to many people here who have had the same questions as you have.