Menu

Has Anyone Actually Used All or Part of Mr. Q's Advanced Chemistry?

My dd is in 10th grade. Overall it has been a good fit for her. She is not interested in science, but Mr. Q's writing has helped to make the subject tolerable for her. The lessons are to the point and clear. I will say that we have found several errors in the answer keys which made me a little nervous since I am not a science person either. The author, however, was always extremely helpful! As a matter of fact we have had to email him a few times recently because we could not figure out how to solve a few problems. He worked out several examples for us step by step which immediately cleared up our fuzzy thinking. His involvement certainly has enhanced the curriculum. In addition to the chemistry program, we have listened to the chemistry videos on Khan Academy, and my daughter attended a two day chemistry lab intensive by Landry Academy.

Hope that helps,

Dana

My dd is in 10th grade. Overall it has been a good fit for her. She is not interested in science, but Mr. Q's writing has helped to make the subject tolerable for her. The lessons are to the point and clear. I will say that we have found several errors in the answer keys which made me a little nervous since I am not a science person either. The author, however, was always extremely helpful! As a matter of fact we have had to email him a few times recently because we could not figure out how to solve a few problems. He worked out several examples for us step by step which immediately cleared up our fuzzy thinking. His involvement certainly has enhanced the curriculum. In addition to the chemistry program, we have listened to the chemistry videos on Khan Academy, and my daughter attended a two day chemistry lab intensive by Landry Academy.

Hope that helps,

Dana

thanks! It is always so helpful to get feedback from other teachers.

• 8 months later...

I purchased it for my 6th and 7th grader to use this year, but I really found it VERY advanced for them. There is A LOT of math in it. The stoichiometry would have been way to much for them as well as several other things. It's much more similar to the high school chemistry my 9th and 10th grader are doing. I opted to go with the elementary chemistry for the middle school kids, and I really am not having to do much supplementation. I was afraid that they would really start to hate chemistry because it would be so over their heads. I really liked the cooking labs, but as appealing as that would have been to my kids, it wouldn't have made up for the rest of it. There was even a lot of math in the labs, so that may have taken the joy out of the labs.

All that said....they LOVE the elementary version and have really learned quite a bit.

I think that if your 9th grader is currently taking or has completed Algebra, it should be fine.

We're using it this year with an 8th grader who is currently taking algebra. Yes, it's a lot of math. However, even after two years of introductory chemistry classes we're finding that this program moves quickly and expects the student to make logical leaps that aren't always spelled out. In my son's case we've slowed it down, stopped to use some previous resources and Ellen McHenry's The Elements, and are spending a LOT longer on every chapter. On the upsiide it's the first hard class my kid has really taken so he's learning the need for proper study skills. :) But it is a very hard class. If I had a do-over we would have just gone with Ellen McHenry and Intellego.

She is doing Singapore Discovering Math, and that has some of the algebra 1 material in the 7th grade books (which she's doing this year) and the rest in the 8th grade books (which she'd be doing concurrently with the chemistry). She seems to have a decent grasp on the algebra she's encountered so far.

I wouldn't be giving high school credit for the Mr. Q (or any of the other options I'm considering like Suchocki Conceptual Chemistry and ACS Chemistry in the Community) but rather considering it an "honors" middle school course. We're with a virtual charter and they require a student to use one of the state-approved textbooks in order to give H.S. credit.

I purchased it for my 6th and 7th grader to use this year, but I really found it VERY advanced for them. There is A LOT of math in it. The stoichiometry would have been way to much for them as well as several other things. It's much more similar to the high school chemistry my 9th and 10th grader are doing. I opted to go with the elementary chemistry for the middle school kids, and I really am not having to do much supplementation. I was afraid that they would really start to hate chemistry because it would be so over their heads. I really liked the cooking labs, but as appealing as that would have been to my kids, it wouldn't have made up for the rest of it. There was even a lot of math in the labs, so that may have taken the joy out of the labs.

All that said....they LOVE the elementary version and have really learned quite a bit.

I think that if your 9th grader is currently taking or has completed Algebra, it should be fine.

Thank you... this review answers EXACTLY the questions I had about it!! I wondered *how* advanced it was, and we liked the look of the cooking labs as well... but sounds like we're not ready for it yet. :)

I bought Chemistry in the Community. My initial impression? BORINGGGGG and dry. Reallllllly dryyyy. And there are a lot of hands on activities in the regular book that I can't imagine being able to pull off. I did get my copy for dirt cheap so no big loss if I never decide to use it, but I just wanted to give you a heads up on it.

Good to know. I liked the idea of the biochem focus but if it's dry, I'm glad that I went with Mr. Q.

• 1 month later...

We are ACS refugees, too! So dry.

We just bought Mr. Q. We are also using McHenry's Elements, and like it fine, but since DS is advanced 7th grade it sometimes feels a little young. We look forward to a bit more of a challenge from Mr. Q. They are both pretty short curricula so I think we can get them both done this year.