Menu

OT: How big a big for DS, 4'5"+?

Our son is 10 and measured 4'5" recently. I was wondering if anyone could give me an approximate size bike to look for?

He had some balance issues and is a late learner, hasn't been on a bike for a few years. If someone also has a suggestion for a type of bike that would be easier to handle that would be great. (Cool looking would be great, but maybe not so heavy -- he has a small frame.)

Thanks!

Amy

The bike sizing charts I found say a 20" wheeled bike would be the right size for right now, but you might want to look at 24" because it probably won't be long until he grows into it.

If you don't care about shifting gears, BMX style bikes are the cool bike of choice among all the boys I know this age (and teens) and tend to be lighter.

If he needs some more practice balancing, you might consider getting this handle that the parent uses to help balance rather than training wheels. We're using it with our 2.5 year old and it's great. Other reviewers had great things to say about using it with their older kids.

Just measured my DS--he is 4'7"--and just bought him a new bike today. He had a 20in bike that he had to have the seat all the way up to ride and we replaced it with a 24in bike. With the seat about 2 inches up, he can still touch the ground with his toes while sitting on the seat, so it's a good fit.

I would probably go with a 24in bike, but the only way to really know is to try them out and see what fits him.

If you aren't looking for a mountain bike type of bike, go for a 20" bmx. I rode one into my 20s and I'm 5'9". You don't typically sit down too much when riding them, so you keep the seat lower. Tons of fun and it won't be so big that it makes him worry about crashing.

This has all been helpful, but can someone tell me what is a BMX and where I might look for one? Do I just ask for/search for BMX bike? I am from the era before mountain bikes, and is this kind of like one? Or is this off road bike style? Not quite sure if I'd know one if I tripped over it. :)

Amy

This has all been helpful, but can someone tell me what is a BMX and where I might look for one? Do I just ask for/search for BMX bike? I am from the era before mountain bikes, and is this kind of like one? Or is this off road bike style? Not quite sure if I'd know one if I tripped over it. :)

Amy

They look like this: BMX

(I currently have the Nitrus 24 that I ride for fun :tongue_smilie:)