Menu

Do you think you can use WWE4 successfully if it's not used as written?

jeri

I have a sixth grader adn a 4th grader who are using WWE4, and I have questions on how you use this. My older dd, who is ESL, really struggles with the reading passages since she doesnt' have the background for the reading (i.e. the passage on the Civil War we are doing this week) and often there are words or concepts she doesn't understand. The way we do the narration is I have her read it twice, then I sit with her and go over each paragraph with her for meaning and words. Then I have her tell it back to me in very general terms but I don't write it down. Finally, she writes her own narration. She usually does pretty well and I'm really happy if she gets the points down in order and with correct grammar and spelling. But as for the dictation, that's really tough! Obscure words and phrases, difficult grammar--she eventually can get it down but I'm not sure if it's really worth it for her.

So, I understand SWB's philosophy on "getting the words fixed in your mind in one piece" but I'm wondering how critical that is. And please don't tell us to go back one level since we've already done levels 2 and 3. So, can my dd be a success at writing if we don't follow this to the T?

Thanks.

jeri

That sounds fine to me, and I think it's great you want to work with her individual needs and tailor it for her. I just don't know why it has to be hard, ya know? I'd rather do what you are doing then have a kid who feels lilke they are failing or stressed because it is too difficult. I help DS alot. We use WWE2-3 style. He reads himself, then I do the same you do, ask him generally what he thought about it. Sometimes he totally gets it, and sometimes the language is just too much and he does not absorb as much. I'll ask him the questions and if he's stuck we will read the part that answers it together. He is proud of his end work, which is what matters to me!