Menu

I want to grow a Bay laurel in a cooler climate

I recently bought an 8" or so bay tree. I am so excited because I have always wanted to own one. I love fresh herbs for cooking.

Now here's the deal: You're supposed to grow these things as potted plants and bring them inside in the winter. I kill houseplants. I am really bad with them. Besides, the tree will eventually grow to 10 feet or so. I would like to grow the tree outside.

I have read that these trees can be grown outside throughout the UK. Their climate ranges from zone 7 to 9. I am in (U.S.) zone 6. My average winter temps range from 20's to 35 with a cold snap or two where they dip down to 0, but very rarely below 0. We usually get a few feet of snow throughout the winter.

So can it be done?? Is there a way to protect this tree so it can remain outside during the winter in my climate and survive?

I kept mine growing for several years as a potted plant but it died when I was pregnant because I was so sick.

I put it on the porch in the summer and brought it in and kept it on the kitchen counter in the winter. It was in a sunny spot and I always remembered to water it there. It actually died on the porch.

Good luck and I hope it grows well for you.:001_smile: