Menu

TC lectures on Medieval times - which to choose?

I am planning ds14's Medieval History course for next year. We will be using SWB's History of the Medieval World as our spine, and I would like to add a Teaching Company course or two. I am looking for recommendations for courses that would compliment our study without being redundant.

For example, Dorsey Armstrong's Medieval World course sounds interesting, but I wonder if it would simply be covering the same material as HoMW. Would we be better off choosing something like Jennifer Paxton's lectures on Medieval England?

I would love to hear which courses others have used, and enjoyed, for studying this time period.

Thanks!

I would highly recommend Discovering the MIddle Ages, but I don't think it's sold anymore. It's a visual journey through the art and architecture of the Middle Ages, team-taught by two profs who are a bit geeky in style (my boys kept asking,"What's with his hair?and "Can't that guy find a suit that fits??") but who present the material in a very engaging way. Perhpas this could be found used online?

Justin here, from Peace Hill Press, but this is just my opinion, and NOT an official PHP endorsement:

Philip Daileader's Middle Ages courses are wonderful. I took them from him in person, ten years ago, when I was a history major at The College of William and Mary. Recently my wife and I listened to one on a car trip, because yes, we are nerds and that's how we roll. He's dialed down the hilarity somewhat, for the audio format, but it still comes through, and he explains things very clearly.

Also, he was recently named "one of the 300 best college professors in America" in a Princeton Review survey: http://www.princetonreview.com/uploadedFiles/Sitemap/Home_Page/Rankings/Best_Professors/BestProfessors_Name.pdf