Menu

After SM 6B--should we do

After SM6 we did a few chapters of NEM, then did AoPs Prelagebra at a very accelerated pace ( a lot of review, skipped a few chapters that were totally review), then finished NEM1 and now doing AoPS intro to Algebra. AAAAARRRGH!

After SM6 we did a few chapters of NEM, then did AoPs Prelagebra at a very accelerated pace ( a lot of review, skipped a few chapters that were totally review), then finished NEM1 and now doing AoPS intro to Algebra. AAAAARRRGH!

So, in your opinion, doing AoPS preAlgebra is a waste of time after SM6--I should go to NEM? Then move into AoPS Algebra? :001_smile:

So, in your opinion, doing AoPS preAlgebra is a waste of time after SM6--I should go to NEM? Then move into AoPS Algebra? :001_smile:

I don't know that I'd mix the two. NEM takes an integrated approach (algebra and geometry mixed over three years), whereas AOPS separates the topics.

We moved into NEM after PM6 and have been very happy with it. But math programs seem to be such a personal choice. People get more worked up over math than anything else, it seems!

I love the problems in NEM -- lots of deep thinking and multiple steps required. And my son loves having different topics -- algebra and geometry of course, but also bits of number theory and special topics (if you do ALL the problem sets). A huge emphasis on problem solving.

I don't necessarily think it's a waste. There are some new topics and some harder problems. I was just frustrated because we were on a long roll with SM and then all of a sudden bouncing from one book to the next trying to find the right math (we did the ones I listed in the same school year) ....we are happily settled in to AoPS now. We also liked NEM, but I decided I'd rather not use an integrated book.

Cosmos, thanks for your response. I am really liking the style of SM, and I am loathe to fix what isn't broken; but you know how it is, people rave about AoPS, and I just hate not knowing what COULD be out there.:lol:

My older kids have done Saxon all the way through, and have been happy with it to this point. But ds has been doing SM for years and is used to the format...decisions, decisions....

Cosmos, thanks for your response. I am really liking the style of SM, and I am loathe to fix what isn't broken; but you know how it is, people rave about AoPS, and I just hate not knowing what COULD be out there.:lol:

My older kids have done Saxon all the way through, and have been happy with it to this point. But ds has been doing SM for years and is used to the format...decisions, decisions....

I found the primary series and NEM very different, and had a hard time adjusting at first.

I found the primary series and NEM very different, and had a hard time adjusting at first.

I agree, there are significant differences, particularly in format. But the presentation style and level of work seemed pretty seamless for us. Ds is young enough to appreciate the little comic strips at the start of every chapter. :lol:

My son did AoPS pre-algebra via the online class and had no trouble. I think he probably could have rolled into algebra 1, but I'm glad we spent most of this year doing AoPS pre-algebra.

This sounds like a GREAT option!! If you continue AoPS, I'd love to hear how it goes :)

Singapore's Discovering Math 1 looks almost exactly like the PM series. It's a lot less intimidating to me personally than NEM, which is a big reason why I chose it over NEM.

I don't think AoPS PreAlgebra is a waste of time after SM6. My second son will be going that route next year. Some of the prealgebra book may go quickly, but it lays a strong foundation to build upon. If he finished quickly, we'll just keep moving on.

My oldest jumped right into AoPS Algebra (from SM5). He's a gifted math student and loves the challenge of AoPS. We'd do NEM as an "easy" break whenever AoPS was getting hard. The PreAlgebra book was not out at that time, but I own it now and think it looks great.

We're figuring this out right now. Dd just finished SM6B last week, and during the next 4 weeks I am having her sample 4 different math programs. This week she is doing some of the samples from AoPS Pre Algebra. My gut feeling is that this isn't the best approach for her, but I'll see what she thinks. Then we will try an old Dolciani book--may use it for extra practice with whatever else we might choose for next year. Then she'll also try NEM and DM (I bought the first book of each). The DM layout looks maybe a little more user friendly, but figuring out which books and teacher helps I would need looks pretty hard! If I really need to get one of everything, I think it's too expensive. NEM is maybe a little less user friendly, but easier to order! And I can teach math (former math teacher), so I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to use it.

Our current plan is for dd to go to our public high school and into a proof-based geometry class freshman year. If we go with NEM or DM, I will be checking carefully to make sure we have covered all Algebra 1 topics over the next two years. I know I will have to add a graphing unit--not sure if there is anything else missing. One big plus to me with going with a Singapore course is that I think the exposure to geometry will help prepare her for PSATs in sophomore year.

So no answers here yet, but maybe in another month I'll have an idea of what we'll be doing for dd's 7th and 8th grade years.