Menu

Museum/other in Chicago?

We've done the Museum of Science and Industry, which was my favorite from childhood. Now we're headed that direction again. I know I'd like to do at least one museum, and we'll have a second day, too. Where should we go? Is the Museum of Natural History better than the Field Museum? Debating on the Brookfield Zoo for the 2nd day. I don't know. Where should we go? Wish there was a presidential library there, as we loved those in CA. I know it's a great art museum, but don't think the guys would go for that, tho dd would love it. What say the hive??

Field Museum IS the museum of natural history. It is GREAT! It is near the Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Plantarium, too.

Chicago Historical Society museum is also very cool - at the edge of Lincoln Park (free zoo! just $$$ to park there) and north Michigan Ave. Lots of good places to eat in Lincoln park, too (Ben and Jerrys not too far from zoo).

I'd do the Field one day (and walk out to see the lake at the edge of the Shedd area, too) and Lincoln Park Zoo/History Museum the next.

Here's some information copied and pasted from something I sent another tourist:

Shedd Aquarium--We adore the Shedd. It's definitely a day trip. Get there early and walk along the lake later when you're tired and ready for a break.

Museum Science Indusry--This museum is way on the south side, not near other downtown sites at all. It can be quite enjoyable, especially the model train, the coal mine, U505. It's a day trip.

Navy pier--Really just a shopping strip to walk. It's worth a show at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater but otherwise not real exciting to me. There is a ferris wheel with panoramic views of the city and lake.

architectural boat tour

maybe the children's museum--Best for young kids (under 8-10). Not real exciting for anyone older than that.

Field Museum--Nifty museum. Not my favorite, but enjoyable. Definitely a day. Can walk along the lake the same day or check out Buckingham Fountain or the parks.

skydeck--Willis Tower is really cool.

some kind of tour

Am I giving too much time to the museums to give each one a whole day? My kids like museums.My kids enjoy museums as well, but this looks a little museum-intensive to me. I'd probably not do more than two. My picks would be Shedd Aquarium and one other, perhaps MSI even though it's not near other stuff.

Spoke to dh. Here's some random recommendations:

Russian Tea Room

Blue Man Group (check Hot Tix for half price tickets the day before)

Royal St. George theater (comedies)

Chicago Shakespeare Theater--esp. consider a Sat am Short Shakespeare (on Navy Pier)

Millenium Park/Grant Park/Buckingham Fountain

Lincoln Park Zoo--also near the beach and the Peggy Notebart Museum

Chinatown--have a dim sum lunch at The Phoenix, try tea at TenRen, and enjoy some bakery fun along the strip. If you don't like a really authentic Chinese culinary adventure, try a soup-and-noodle shop along the strip for something a little tamer.

River tour

Deep dish pizza at Giordano's or Gino's East

cajun food at Heaven on Seven

Cheesecake Factory north of the Loop

Art Institute

Slide on the Picasso sculpture at Daley Plaza if you find yourself in the area (Don't make a special trip for it.)

Willis Tower

Catch a concert at the Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Rent a bike and ride the path along the lake shore.

Let me know if you have further questions--we're happy to help.

--strider

Field Museum IS the museum of natural history. It is GREAT! It is near the Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Plantarium, too.

Chicago Historical Society museum is also very cool - at the edge of Lincoln Park (free zoo! just $$$ to park there) and north Michigan Ave. Lots of good places to eat in Lincoln park, too (Ben and Jerrys not too far from zoo).

I'd do the Field one day (and walk out to see the lake at the edge of the Shedd area, too) and Lincoln Park Zoo/History Museum the next.

:iagree:

I think the Lincoln Park Zoo is much better than Brookfield.

They looked like different museums when I look them up. Glad to rule out one museum. :)

Keep your ideas coming, please! Thanks so much!

I guess I always went to Brookfield as a kid and don't remember the Lincoln Park Zoo...

Chinatown sounds fun! Seems like I heard about random shootings in Chicago recently. Do we need to be worried about that??

Edited by Tina

Well, random shootings happen in my own neighborhood about six times a year and I don't worry about it, so I may be the wrong person to ask.:tongue_smilie:

Lincoln Park Zoo is fun and free.

Lou Malnatti's deep dish pizza is the BEST deep dish pizza in the city. IMHO, of course. :D

My kids love the Shedd Aquarium.

U of C's Oriental Institute is a small, free, museum focused on the ancient Near East. It's very cool and not very crowded.

If you're interested in any particular immigration/ethnic history, there are a few lesser-known places that are cool. Swedish History Museum is GREAT for young kids. Our co-op did a field trip last year to the Chinese-American Museum of Chicago; that was really fun, too.

Lou Malnatti's deep dish pizza is the BEST deep dish pizza in the city. IMHO, of course. :D

:iagree: :drool:

China Town is so interesting and I've been there several times with absolutely no problems. You must stop and have Dim Sum somewhere--so fun!

Love Brookfield Zoo, but it's pricey so you may want to go to Lincoln Park Zoo.

If it's a nice day I wouldn't rule out hanging out and seeing Millenium Park as well. My kids really love all the different stuff to see there.

And if you are downtown, why deal with the traffic hassle of trying to get out to Brookfield?

imho, brookfield zoo has become a bit commercial

I hope your guys will consider the Art Institute, it's awesome. The Art Institute is across from Millennium Park. If it's warm there's a great fountain for splashing.

Across from Millennium Park is the Chicago Cultural Center in the old library. It's free and really neat. The building is cool, there's stuff on display and often bands performing.

I don't live in the Chicago area, but my sister does and we visit her.

The Museum of Science and Industry has a Mythbusters exhibit right now (until Sept I believe). I know you've been there, but it could be worth another visit.

My son (he's 10) really enjoyed the Garfield Park Conservatory (it's big!). It was a good thing to go do on a rainy day, parking was free and it was just relaxing.

I agree with PPs about the Shedd, we plan to go back soon as we haven't been there in several years. We enjoyed the Adler planetarium too. And the Field Museum. They are all great choices.

I don't live in the Chicago area, but my sister does and we visit her.

The Museum of Science and Industry has a Mythbusters exhibit right now (until Sept I believe). I know you've been there, but it could be worth another visit.

Oh my! We're going to Chicago in June. DS will be over the moon that there's a Mythbusters exhibit! We're blessed to have a science museum pass that will get us into several of the area exhibits.

We're also going to make a short trip to Wheaton to see THE wardrobe, as in the inspiration for CS Lewis.

They looked like different museums when I look them up. Glad to rule out one museum. :)

Keep your ideas coming, please! Thanks so much!

I guess I always went to Brookfield as a kid and don't remember the Lincoln Park Zoo...

Chinatown sounds fun! Seems like I heard about random shootings in Chicago recently. Do we need to be worried about that??

Brookfield is much larger and more spread out than Lincoln Park Zoo. My personal preference is for Lincoln Park--it's nice to have everything closer, more accessible. It's nicely laid out, near the beach and also has access to the conservatory.

Chinatown is REALLY FUN. We love poking in all the little shops. Dim sum at The Phoenix is really cool, though a little pricey. A much cheaper option would be to get soup-and-noodles at a smaller shop. There is also tea at TenRen, either hot or bubble tea for fun.

As for shootings . . . eh. Yes, there are shootings in Chicago. There are in all major urban centers. I lived for 14 years in a bad neighborhood and was fine. My dh and my fil worked downtown for years and never gave it a thought either way. I certainly have NO qualms about downtown or the museums or any other tourist place. I really wouldn't worry at all about shootings--the folks who go work everyday downtown certainly aren't worried. I've lived in Chicago all my life and spent a LOT of time in some of the worst neighborhoods in the country and never even been mugged.