Menu

Do you have a birthstone "mom's" ring?

I know they are kind of corny but I've always wanted one of those nice rings with a birthstone for each of my kids. I'm looking at the fancier, more expensive 14K gold ones so it'll be on the pricier end of things. :)

I've got a couple questions though... we're not entirely sure we're done having kids- is it a ridiculous idea to hold off on getting the ring on the chance we *may* have another? What do I do if we do? :tongue_smilie:

Those of you who have one- did you get birthstones for you and your husband as well (so there's one for everyone in the family) or just the kids?

How do you decide what order to put the stones in? I'm having a hard time figuring this out, especially since I have 2 kids born in the same month.

I don't buy myself much and rarely wear jewelry but I've wanted one of these rings for a very long time.

I have a small, white gold Mother's ring. It has just my 2 boys' birthstones, not mine or dh's. We were not sure if we were done when dh surprised me with it, but we are, so it works. If I had had another, I would have gotten a new ring.

The stones are in birth order, left to right and their names are engraved on the outside of each side. I love it! (And I don't think it's corny!)

Enjoy your ring!

Yes, and I absolutely love mine!

I had it custom made by a jewelry artist for our 10th anniversary. It is a wide gold band, with the distinctive mountains of my home state in relief in sort of a marbled pink gold, with our birthstones set above them, like stars. I included both my parents, mine, dh and my dc's birthstones, in that order. With only 2 dc at the time, that wouldn't have made for much of a ring :lol:. The jeweler designed it so more stones could be added, but I haven't gotten around to adding little dd yet. Her stone is the same as her big brother's, though, so that kind of counts.

I also bought a more traditional mother's ring for my MIL, and I simply put the stones in the order that would look best (since 2 were the same).

I would be careful buying one from WalMart, etc., since it might not hold up. I bought a less expensive (but still a few hundred dollar) ring with our actual birthstones, and they kept breaking and falling out since I wore the ring all the time. For my custom-made ring, I chose colored diamonds in each birthstone color, so they would be durable. Just a thought.

I can't wait until I lose enough weight to actually start wearing it again (about 25 more pounds I think).:tongue_smilie:

Edited by AHASRADA

No; I've always kind of wanted one but thought myself silly with only one child-- so it would be a solitaire. But reading this thread makes me think it might be nice to put dh and I on either side of Molly's stone. I guess it never occurred to be before.

Hmmm....... something to think about..... ;)

astrid

I know they are kind of corny but I've always wanted one of those nice rings with a birthstone for each of my kids. I'm looking at the fancier, more expensive 14K gold ones so it'll be on the pricier end of things. :)

I've got a couple questions though... we're not entirely sure we're done having kids- is it a ridiculous idea to hold off on getting the ring on the chance we *may* have another? What do I do if we do? :tongue_smilie:

Those of you who have one- did you get birthstones for you and your husband as well (so there's one for everyone in the family) or just the kids?

How do you decide what order to put the stones in? I'm having a hard time figuring this out, especially since I have 2 kids born in the same month.

I don't buy myself much and rarely wear jewelry but I've wanted one of these rings for a very long time.

What about stackable rings? I have these from Zales (mine are white gold though, since my wedding ring is platinum.) If you decide to have more, you just buy another ring! :tongue_smilie: This also answers your "what order" question, since you can wear whichever one you like on top. I guess it depends on how many dc you have. I only have 2 so the stackable works for me but I don't think I would like it if I had more than 4 dc.

I don't like many of them, but dh got me one with just the three stones in a row in a gold band. It's pretty subtle. He gave it to me right after I had ds. They are in order from youngest to oldest, which worked because middle ddis April (diamond) so it looked right with colored stones on either side.

We knew we were done. If you aren't sure, you could get your and dh's stones in there, too, and then sub them out if you have more dc.

I have one! Well, actually, I have two. I also have stackable ones very similar to the ones mentioned in a previous post. I love them! I love that it has their name and birthdate engraved. I love that I had my first one just a few months (for Mother's Day!) after my first was born. I only have two kids, but it will be easy to add a third- although a 4th would probably start to look funny and I would probably do something else if and when we have a 4th. I am not a jewelry person at all. I wear my wedding ring on one hand and my mother's ring on the other hand and that's it. (I got each of mine the Mother's Day after the child was born.)

I say go for it! It's almost Mother's Day!

I have a ring (specially requested and designed) with my children's birthstones. The is a diamond in the center (signifying me and DH). And then there are four "petals" (birthstone wrapped in gold, the ring looks like a flower) for each of the kids. I have two with the same birth stone, they are on opposite sides of the ring, which happened to work out with birth order (july, november, july, march). Dh said that if we had more we could add on to the ring.

I've thought about getting one, but DDs' birthstones are ruby and peridot, so I feel like I should wear it for Christmas (peridot is medium to light green).

I could add DH (pink tourmaline or opal :confused:) and mine, amethyst, that would break up the Christmas a bit.

As an aside, the girls don't like me using amethyst, But I was born 1/31, don't really like garnet, so I just bumped my birthday ahead a bit. I don't know what time I was born, so I might have only bumped my birth ahead but 5 minutes. didn't hold water with them though.

No; I've always kind of wanted one but thought myself silly with only one child-- so it would be a solitaire. But reading this thread makes me think it might be nice to put dh and I on either side of Molly's stone. I guess it never occurred to be before.

astrid

I got myself a mother's ring for my only. I reasoned since it was a solitary stone it should be BIG! Now I have a gorgeous ruby ring.

astrid

Not silly at all!

I have an only and I always planned on getting one....now I have two step sons and I am not sure how to handle that!

Shameless plug...Look down at my signature for a link to my website. I'm with a newer company and we sell fabulous, customizable, afforable lockets that you can put the birthstones in. You can also put letters, initials, hobbies, plates, charms, etc.

I would definitely get something like these, that you can switch around or add to. :001_smile:

I wore my grandmother's ring for a long time. It was so pretty to me as a child with varying shades of greens and blues for her four children. I told my husband I wished she had hers and grandpa's stones in there as well.

My dh noticed how much I loved it (very rare for him). When our youngest was born he had a gold heart charm made for a necklace with birthstones for himself, me, our oldest and youngest. The way the heart is designed, more stones could be easily added or left as is.

The interesting thing is the greens and blues are now whites and reds. :) I love it, never take it off!!

post-36270-13535086615072_thumb.jpg

post-36270-13535086615072_thumb.jpg

Edited by FairyMom

My husband gave me one last Christmas. I was shocked by his thoughtfulness, and you know what I liked best? He said he was feeling emotional when picking it out! Aww...he LIKES us!

Mine has the stones in birth order, so I've actually got blue, red, red, and green (he's really expecting this fourth baby to be born in May, not June!). The reds look a teensy bit strange together, but it works, you know? We're more interested in the symbolism than how the ring looks. It's a 14 ct white gold setting.

I like it a lot! Even though I could have bought a lot of curriculum for what he spent on it! :D

I have one. It is an anniversary band with an amethyst (DS's stone), diamond, emerald (DSS's stone), diamond, and amethyst (DD's stone). DH had the diamonds put between the stones because the green and purple didn't look nice next to each other but it is beautiful with the diamonds.

No stones for me or my husband.

We waited until we were done with having kids, but you could do a stackable ring.

My mom bought me a ring when #3 was born (we thought we were done...actually, we thought we were done when #2 was born :lol:). I love it, and the colors actually look good together. They are in order from oldest to youngest: sapphire, aquamarine, and ruby. Our newest baby is a diamond...I would love to get a new ring with all of them on it.

As impatient as I was waiting for this baby to get here, I was almost hoping she'd come in May, so she'd be an emerald. I was born in April too, and I think diamonds are boring. I've always wanted to have a ruby or an emerald as my birthstone.

My mom bought me a ring when #3 was born (we thought we were done...actually, we thought we were done when #2 was born :lol:). I love it, and the colors actually look good together. They are in order from oldest to youngest: sapphire, aquamarine, and ruby. Our newest baby is a diamond...I would love to get a new ring with all of them on it.

As impatient as I was waiting for this baby to get here, I was almost hoping she'd come in May, so she'd be an emerald. I was born in April too, and I think diamonds are boring. I've always wanted to have a ruby or an emerald as my birthstone.

Diamonds come in many, many colors....it doesn't have to be clear!

Yes, and it's one of my very favorite things!

I remember admiring my grandmother's ring when I was a little girl, and I've always thought they were neat.

Mine has the name of my older child engraved, then his birthstone, then the name of my younger child, then her birthstone. They have the same birthstone.

It was a gift to me - I didn't design it, but I love it!

I really want one of those rings someday, but I'm hoping for one more baby and will wait until then. I would love to have mine and DH's birthstones in it as well, maybe as bookends to the children's birthstones, or, if we don't have more children, we could all just be in age order, so that the two darkest (DH's emerald and DS3's ruby) would be the bookends, which would balance the rest of ours (three of which are very pale) nicely.

I have one and love it. We knew we were done having kids; I would have waited if we thought we'd have more.

I do have a stone for myself & dh.

My birthstone is opal and I had the jeweler use that instead of the "pink tourmaline" so often subbed in for October. Because of that, and the shape of my ring (a V), I placed my stone at the center (the point of the V) and then the other stones to either side. So, mine goes, L to R: DH, DS1, me, DS2, DS3.

If I had it to do over, I'd place it: DH, DS1, DS2, DS3, Me or else DH, Me, Kids in birth order. Although I like it, sometimes the order seems wrong to me.

I absolutely love mine and am glad to have it.