Menu

Am I crazy or is this a positive pregnancy test?!?!

I've never had a dark line. I took two tests when I got pregnant with Ani. One at 8 dpo and one at 9 dpo. Both were positive with very, very light lines. I only took one test each with Fritz and Adrian. I took those at 8 dpo and 9 dpo. Also both very light lines. I took two tests with Cameron. One at 10 dpo and one 4 weeks later just because I had an extra test and I wanted to see a dark positive line, so I was 5 1/2 weeks after ovulation, 7 1/2 weeks pregnant. The line on the second test was just as light as the first one! I was a little disappointed about that lol

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean 5 weeks from your actual LMP or at 21 dpo? (I'd pretend the LMP was 3 days later, 14 days before your ovulation). Just a few days makes a big difference on ultrasound. I'd hope for a sac, and then seeing a fetal pole would be a bonus.

5 weeks from LMP. A little over really, it's 11 days from now and I'm 4 weeks from LMP today, so it'd be like 5w4d, I think! Which would be 22 dpo I believe.

I've never had a dark line. I took two tests when I got pregnant with Ani. One at 8 dpo and one at 9 dpo. Both were positive with very, very light lines. I only took one test each with Fritz and Adrian. I took those at 8 dpo and 9 dpo. Also both very light lines. I took two tests with Cameron. One at 10 dpo and one 4 weeks later just because I had an extra test and I wanted to see a dark positive line, so I was 5 1/2 weeks after ovulation, 7 1/2 weeks pregnant. The line on the second test was just as light as the first one! I was a little disappointed about that lol

That's good to know! I've never examined lines on a pregnancy test until my ectopic last summer and this pregnancy now so I don't have much to compare with other than bad news! It's good to know it might not be anything to worry about but still hard not to worry til I get some definitive numbers!

LMP was 4/5/12. I think I ovulated cycle day 18 (4/22/12) because I got a positive opk on cd17 (4/21/12). So that would make me 11 dpo today.

Got my first pos hpt yesterday evening but after 3 tests today (morning, later morning, and evening) (way too obsessive, I know)! the lines still look sooo faint, I think all of them today were fainter than the one from yesterday evening. I hope it looks more noticeable tomorrow!

Get a different brand! I'm telling you, those dollar store ones are just more faint than the regular ones. Go get a First Response test!

My numbers with my ectopics were always high earlier than normal then dropped. Maybe since yours are in normal range, that is a positive sign! Also, on the Diaperswappers forum they have a lot of in-depth discussion of these things (the trying to conceive areas and due date discussion areas), and it can be normal for them to only double every 72 hours early on. Just so you don't panic if it hasn't completely doubled in 48.

I'll be praying for your little bean to be where he/she belongs!

Get a different brand! I'm telling you, those dollar store ones are just more faint than the regular ones. Go get a First Response test!

It seems like in order to see if your levels are rising by looking for darker lines, maybe you should stick with the same tests. If another test shows a darker line because it picks up hcg at a lower level, it might not give her the desired result. Just a thought...

You should get to put your feet up and rest this weekend. If it were me, the uncertainty alone would mean I would deserve some quiet time and a big box of good chocolates. Just a suggestion...

I'll keep sending good thoughts your way.

LMP was 4/5/12. I think I ovulated cycle day 18 (4/22/12) because I got a positive opk on cd17 (4/21/12). So that would make me 11 dpo today.

According to babycenter.com- with LMP youd be 4wk today and according to O, youd be 3wk today. Thats based on a 28d cycle with O being cd14.

Do you mean 5 weeks from your actual LMP or at 21 dpo? (I'd pretend the LMP was 3 days later, 14 days before your ovulation). Just a few days makes a big difference on ultrasound. I'd hope for a sac, and then seeing a fetal pole would be a bonus.

To the underlined part- not everyone is 28d cycles with O on cd14. It can vary from woman to woman and even within yourself after having a child. I USE to be a 28d cycle with cd14 O- now?? 32d cycles (sometimes) with O anywhere from cd16-21. I have PCOS.

ETA: Your HPT should be darker tomorrow too because HCG raises every 48hrs give or take.

To the underlined part- not everyone is 28d cycles with O on cd14. It can vary from woman to woman and even within yourself after having a child. I USE to be a 28d cycle with cd14 O- now?? 32d cycles (sometimes) with O anywhere from cd16-21. I have PCOS.

Yes, exactly. I have PCOS too, with cycle lengths that vary wildly. When I know I O'd late, I'd figure out the appropriate corresponding "fake" LMP 14 days prior to O, for every silly nurse who asked the zillion times during pregnancy and labor. This was especially useful for my surprise pregnancy, when I hadn't had a period since before my prior pregnancy (I'd look at them and say 2007 for my baby due in mid-2009, lol - much easier to use the pretend LMP instead)

:iagree: :001_smile:

My BIL just couldn't believe his wife was pregnant, even though she used three brand name pregnancy tests with lines. He insisted upon going to the store to purchase one of the digital ones. He finally believed it when he saw the word "pregnant"! :D

Glad to hear the good news!

:iagree: :001_smile:

My BIL just couldn't believe his wife was pregnant, even though she used three brand name pregnancy tests with lines. He insisted upon going to the store to purchase one of the digital ones. He finally believed it when he saw the word "pregnant"! :D

Glad to hear the good news!

SOme of the digitals don't detect hcg until it hits something like 50 though, so they aren't always good early tests.

I only used one digital, and that was with my third child. I had a box of opks, and decided to test since my period hadn't shown up (long, PCOS cycles) in a while. The OPK box had a free digital pregnancy test. I took it just because, and it said pregnant. I didn't believe it LOL. I confirmed later that day with my old standby, FRER.

The peeonastick website has lots of good info.

While the tests often get darker as you go, I have read and heard that isn't exactly reliable, iykwim. I wouldn't stress over it not looking darker. I say that as someone who was a serial pee-er, and tested daily so I could compare results. Infertility does that to a girl when she gets pg finally ;) But yeah, most sources say you can't *really* rely on how dark the test is getting to tell you whether your hcg is climbing. I have heard the dollar store tests are light on dye too I think...so that may play a part on how "dark" the line gets.

See #9 and #21 http://www.peeonastick.com/hptfaq.html#9

Lots of good prayers going your way. I was devastated with my pregnancy I was miserable sick and went to the ED on Sunday, was told I was not pregnant. On Wednesday I tested at home and had a very faint line like that also at 10 dpo. Went to the clinic my quant was 25 (the minimum amount to get a result on some home pregnancy test). Next quant was 54 again very low because it was so early. The 54 triggered a result on the electronic pregnancy tests. Then the last one was over 1,000. They wanted me to keep going until the quant was over 1,000.

Then two weeks later I was scheduled for an ultrasound to check on implantation location and heartbeat.

Tested again around 6:20 AM. To me the line looks no different (no darker and no lighter) on the morning of 12 dpo than it did the evening of 10 dpo.

I've read a bunch of stories of it ending up being a chemical pregnancy / miscarriage / ectopic or whatever when women had tests that never got darker, or got subsequently lighter. And I've read a bunch of stories of it ending up getting darker later, around 15 dpo, or never getting much darker and still turning out fine... it's enough to drive someone crazy.

I sort of wish I could just stay away from the tests at this point but they seem like my only "diagnostic tool" until I can get my second quantitative HCG results on Monday. So for the next three days of waiting I have to go with "Does the test look darker? If so, that's a good sign. Does it look the same? If so, that's ambiguous and could go either way. Does it look like it's fading away? If so, I'm probably in trouble."

Blah.

Tested again around 6:20 AM. To me the line looks no different (no darker and no lighter) on the morning of 12 dpo than it did the evening of 10 dpo.

I've read a bunch of stories of it ending up being a chemical pregnancy / miscarriage / ectopic or whatever when women had tests that never got darker, or got subsequently lighter. And I've read a bunch of stories of it ending up getting darker later, around 15 dpo, or never getting much darker and still turning out fine... it's enough to drive someone crazy.

I sort of wish I could just stay away from the tests at this point but they seem like my only "diagnostic tool" until I can get my second quantitative HCG results on Monday. So for the next three days of waiting I have to go with "Does the test look darker? If so, that's a good sign. Does it look the same? If so, that's ambiguous and could go either way. Does it look like it's fading away? If so, I'm probably in trouble."

Blah.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Blah.

:grouphug:

Blah.

:grouphug:

Usually with A chemical (had 3 of them) youll get regular HPT, but youll get Aunt Flo within a few days and tests will fade out. Miscarriage (having had 5 of them) youll get regular HPT and will start bleeding and then when _(sensitive topic)__ happens tests will go negative shortly after but youll need the levels followed down....sometimes you can have whacky HPT with m/c in that it takes a long time to get + or you get some + and some -. With a Tubal (ive never had one), the beta levels dont rise properly and its pretty easy to tell that its going on.

Either way, for RIGHT now, youre pregnant! Enjoy it!!

Blah.

Put the tests down. lol. I know its hard. IF you wanted you could go to ER and say you have cramping and theyll give you a BETA and then you can compare it to the other days without having to wait until Monday....but that may only stress you out more and thats not what we want either. I bet Monday youll get the BETA and itll be even higher and youll be crying with joy!!! :grouphug:

Blah.

Don't believe everything you read! My "chemical" pregnancy or whatever it was back in Feb. had a super dark line. I won't say don't worry because I know if I ever get to see a positive test again I'll be a stinking basket case. Hang in there though and know we are all rooting for you!

I know it is soooo hard to not stress, to not read into it too much, etc. BTDT!!!

I had a light early test with DD on two different brands, and then a day later nada. Both tests were neg. (shared this story upthread). the next day, on *BOTH* brands, *and* using FMU. Waited to bleed, and it didn't happen, retested a few days later and it was daaaaark. But yeah, in the beginning my line literally went away on two different brands after a positive test on the same two brands the day before. I think I was just right at the detection threshold. Even different brands, same box, etc. apparently can have slightly different sensitivity. DD is 5 now.

I went through injectables and IUI to have my first, and I peed on sticks, compared, analyzed, and stressed. I had a beta that was barely 30ish at 12dpo and was worried about that. I really drove myself nuts. I was with an RE, so I had good monitoring. I had to wait 3 days I think to see if my beta doubled, and that was the only time in all of my treatment someone forgot to mark my results STAT and I didn't get them the same day as the draw :glare: It was soooo stressful. But he's 8 now :) All that stress really make ti tough to enjoy things, and I know it isn't like you can just push it out of your mind.

I haven't experienced a tubal, and I can only imagine how stressful it is having a pregnancy after that. I know it is so hard to not worry.

Buuuuut, I just want to say that I don't think you can read much into how dark the test is getting from one day to the very next day. You may see a trend over the course of a week (like a week from now if you were to test it would likely be obviously darker). Ask me how I know. I peed on tests for about 2 weeks straight when I was pg with my first, tried to interpret them like tea leaves, and it really was just pointless and stressful.

Hang in there!! :grouphug: I know it is hard, but I really think you can only wait for the repeat test. Do not drive yourself insane trying to interpret a dollar store test's darkness...waaaaay too many factors to do it with any real meaning. I know you know that, but it is hard when that's all you have to go by. Again, BTDT, and caused myself a lot of stress. I know it isn't easy. But I'd remain optimistic for now. :grouphug:

Id try a different test brand if i were you, if you still wanted to POAS, I know its hard to walk away (i just told you to, LOL). I have heard Dollar Store tests take forever to darken!!

Peeonastick.com has the levels of HCG that each brand picks up. First Response Early Result are good and so is Answer. Id wait on a digital until at least a beta of 50.

I bet if you peed on another brand it would be so dark its purple instead of red! :001_smile:

Ok Nance, I have to ask....

Is it really doing you any good to keep testing and reading about other people's light & dark lines and hcg levels?

Today, you know what you know. So far so good!

Monday, you will know more. Good!

In the meantime, can you just relax and divert your attention to other things? I know it won't be easy but I lovingly suggest that you try! The best thing you can do right now for your baby and yourself is to not pile on worries. Don't let fear rule your next three days, kwim?

We all look forward to your future good news - now go bake cookies or something!

It's just that I read that once you have an ectopic you're more likely to have another, and I'm 39 so due to age I already have an increased risk of m/c, and it's just hard not to be scared it's going to happen again. I wish I could be more excited and happy instead- hopefully within a few days I can be!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Oh, I know you are right, it's just that not obsessing is easier said than done lol.

Ok Nance, I have to ask....

Is it really doing you any good to keep testing and reading about other people's light & dark lines and hcg levels?

Today, you know what you know. So far so good!

Monday, you will know more. Good!

In the meantime, can you just relax and divert your attention to other things? I know it won't be easy but I lovingly suggest that you try! The best thing you can do right now for your baby and yourself is to not pile on worries. Don't let fear rule your next three days, kwim?

We all look forward to your future good news - now go bake cookies or something!

Oh, I know you are right, it's just that not obsessing is easier said than done lol.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: This is true! Maybe go out and see the new Avengers movie? Watching Thor and Robert Downey Jr. for a couple of hours has to count for something, no?? ;) :D

Sweetheart, I am sending my heart to the universe. I hope you are soundly pregnant. :) I know so well that lust and ache for a 'last baby'. I don't like to remember the pain. It finally did happen for me, and I hope it is so for you. I was older, and it did happen, and after a loss.

Don't laugh, but I have put a bowl of eggs (not so crazy; I have a barn filled will chickens and eggs ) near my computer just for you. Hold tight, and go see that movie!

Ibby, you have a heart of gold, and if I were Samantha Stevens, I'd twitch my nose so that we could be together to share some good laughs-- and a yum dessert (which I would make...or buy. lol)

Edited by LibraryLover

Sweetheart, I am sending my heart to the universe. I hope you are soundly pregnant. :) I know so well that lust and ache for a 'last baby'. I don't like to remember the pain. It finally did happen for me, and I hope it is so for you. I was older, and it did happen, and after a loss.

That's so sweet. I hope too!

Ibby, you have a heart of gold, and if I were Samantha Stevens, I'd twitch my nose so that we could be together to share some good laughs-- and a yum dessert (which I would make...or buy. lol)

hehehehehe That would be fun. You come on down by me. I have a pool and live near the beach and we have yummy Cuban desserts here! :p hehe

You all have made me feel like there's a bunch of people keeping me company and supporting me while I wait this out, which I really appreciate! :)

I decided not to test again today/tonight but will in the AM again. I'll be going to the lab around 7:30 for my second blood test and we will see what happens from there!

Going to bed now so one more day of waiting under my belt and about to be over with!

You all have made me feel like there's a bunch of people keeping me company and supporting me while I wait this out, which I really appreciate! :)

I decided not to test again today/tonight but will in the AM again. I'll be going to the lab around 7:30 for my second blood test and we will see what happens from there!

Going to bed now so one more day of waiting under my belt and about to be over with!

:) We're all in this with you honey! Sleep well. :) :grouphug::grouphug:

At the lab now. Will test when I get home. Know what stinks? My doctor's office has no weekend hours, like I said. But know who does? Medical Records- until 3. I could have showed up there this afternoon and guilt-tripped or wheedled Dragon Lady into giving me my results without 24 hours notice and possibly found out today.

But I can't. :(

I promised my kids, before any of this ever happened, that I would take them to an amusement park today (my daughter's girl scouts group is going but aren't supervising the kids per se so a parent has to go if you're not willing to let them be on their own there, which of course I'm not)!

So I said I'd go with her and that I'd bring my son, too.

So I can't show up at Medical Records, dh will be working, and I have to wait til Monday after all. Arggh. Two more days. I can survive it, right?

Maybe that test will look a little darker today and give me a glimmer of reassurance!

You still have a line, so I don't know if it matters whether or not it is darker/lighter. I can't imagine what your weekend will be like. It is easy to tell you to try to relax and have fun to keep your mind off of the situation, but that is definitely easier said than done. We are all praying for you and hoping for the best!!!:grouphug:

You still have a line, so I don't know if it matters whether or not it is darker/lighter. I can't imagine what your weekend will be like. It is easy to tell you to try to relax and have fun to keep your mind off of the situation, but that is definitely easier said than done. We are all praying for you and hoping for the best!!!:grouphug:

:iagree: :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

The waiting is the hardest part. I remember questioning my OB because I also had a very faint line with my dd. She told me that, "A line is a line. The home tests are not designed to measure the level of HcG (I think that is the hormone) - the home tests are made to simply indicate whether or not you are pregnant. The color of the line is irrelevant."

Wishing you the best.