Menu

Am I crazy or is this a positive pregnancy test?!?!

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

Well, I had my u/s and have very mixed emotions right now.

Going by LMP, I should be 7w1d today. When they did the u/s, there was a baby measuring 0.40 cm crown to rump and there was a heartbeat with a rate of 102. The doctor said those measurements and that heart rate are what would be expected if I were a week behind and was 6w1d pregnant.

When we talked about how I ovulated late (probably cd18 going by opk's), she said that might explain it, although seems to me it's still a few days behind what it should be.

Of greater concern to me is the fact that she said the gestational sac is very small. She said that could be a problem or it could be nothing and will eventually "catch up," she's seen this happen where the baby didn't develop very far and the woman miscarried, and she's seen situations like this turn out to be fine. There is just no way to tell. She said that everything is where it should be and there is a heartbeat and she's more optimistic than pessimistic, but it is hard not to worry when the baby measured a week behind AND the sac is too small.

I have to go back a week from Monday- in ten days- to do another u/s. Another agonizing wait.

On top of that after I got home a couple of times I used the bathroom, wiped, and there was a pinkish tinge. They say this is normal after a pap and an internal ultrasound (which was a bit uncomfortable, they pushed, poked, and prodded quite a bit trying to find what they wanted), but it's hard not to worry about everything at this point.

Please keep praying, crossing your fingers, etc.

Thanks!

Hey all,

Going by LMP, I should be 7w1d today. When they did the u/s, there was a baby measuring 0.40 cm crown to rump and there was a heartbeat with a rate of 102. The doctor said those measurements and that heart rate are what would be expected if I were a week behind and was 6w1d pregnant.

When we talked about how I ovulated late (probably cd18 going by opk's), she said that might explain it, although seems to me it's still a few days behind what it should be.

Of greater concern to me is the fact that she said the gestational sac is very small. She said that could be a problem or it could be nothing and will eventually "catch up," she's seen this happen where the baby didn't develop very far and the woman miscarried, and she's seen situations like this turn out to be fine. There is just no way to tell. She said that everything is where it should be and there is a heartbeat and she's more optimistic than pessimistic, but it is hard not to worry when the baby measured a week behind AND the sac is too small.

I have to go back a week from Monday- in ten days- to do another u/s. Another agonizing wait.

On top of that after I got home a couple of times I used the bathroom, wiped, and there was a pinkish tinge. They say this is normal after a pap and an internal ultrasound (which was a bit uncomfortable, they pushed, poked, and prodded quite a bit trying to find what they wanted), but it's hard not to worry about everything at this point.

Thanks!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My first u/s with this pg was similarly mixed. I went in hoping for a great u/s with definitive answers and got a very mixed bag. I had to go back two weeks later and then the u/s was absolutely perfect! The wait in between about killed me. I understand and am praying for you!!!!! :grouphug: (Heartbeat is such excellent news. Things are significantly improved when there is a heartbeat.)

Hey all,

Thanks!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Hey all,

Thanks!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Oh sweetie! I"m so sorry you didn't get the news you were expecting to hear, but the good news is that everything is where it is supposed to be and your baby has a heartbeat. That's nothing to sneeze at. I got that pinkish tinge after paps as well and my kids are both here with me. I'm so sorry for the other agonizing wait. What a roller coaster this must be for you, but we're all here for you and waiting with you. I hope the next one gives you more reassurance honey. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Stay strong and positive. :)

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not but.....Nance, you may have ovulated a few days later and on top of that, you may not have implanted until later ... Remember, you don't start making hcg until the little squirt implants.

I just want to encourage you to stay positive. I know it's hard...I've been there!

Praying for you!!! May God give you peace during this waiting time!

I wanted to share that during one of my pregnancies my baby was measuring 3 weeks smaller ... I thought I might have ovulated 2 weeks later than the norm ... but most definitely not 3 weeks (and even based on when I tested) ... that baby ended up being our smallest baby at birth (by a lot ... both height and weight) ... but still very healthy. I just wanted to share that because it sounded very similar to what you described. I will be praying for you.

After my ectopic, the OB told me that a heartbeat drops the miscarriage rate to less than 2%. So you have come so far!! You have a 98% chance of having a healthy, happy baby in 8 more months!

Having said that, I know it's impossible to not worry. :grouphug:

I have to be honest. I'm not feeling very hopeful about this. I found some small scale studies/research online with regard to a too-small sac. The studies indicated that if you take the size of the sac, and minus the size of the baby, the number that is left (how much bigger the sac is than the baby) is an indication of the outcome of the pregnancy.

Two small studies indicated that anything under 5 mm had between an 80-something and 90-something percent chance of ending in miscarriage, that 5 to 7.9 mm had a 26 1/2 percent chance, and 8 and over only a 10 point something percent chance.

I called my doctor to ask them for the measurements of the sac and there is only a THREE mm difference between the baby and the sac in my case. That does not sound at all promising.

It would take a miracle for this gestational sac to suddenly start growing at a faster rate than the baby to give it enough room to grow. (According to my dr the sac is supposed to grow 1 mm a day, I don't know how fast the baby is supposed to grow at this stage).

Meanwhile, I know the spotting after the u/s was normal, but it has continued into this morning and I don't know if that is so normal.

My husband just wants to keep thinking positive because there was a heartbeat, and either I just don't want to have my hopes up too much or I'm a much bigger pessimist than he is, but I just don't feel good about it. :(

Bleeding now. :( It was just pinkish spotting when I wiped since after the scan yesterday, now it's red bleeding that requires a pad.

Doctor says there's really no sense in spending hours at the ER as there is nothing they can do either way. She said just wait it out at home and if I'm miscarrying, which I am pretty sure I am, there probably wouldn't be very heavy bleeding as it was early and very small and should be kinda like a period. She said if it does get really bad to call back, but otherwise I can call the office first thing Tuesday morning and get seen that day for a scan just to get a definitive answer about what happened. But I think I am losing it. :(

This sucks.

Bleeding now. :( It was just pinkish spotting when I wiped since after the scan yesterday, now it's red bleeding that requires a pad.

Doctor says there's really no sense in spending hours at the ER as there is nothing they can do either way. She said just wait it out at home and if I'm miscarrying, which I am pretty sure I am, there probably wouldn't be very heavy bleeding as it was early and very small and should be kinda like a period. She said if it does get really bad to call back, but otherwise I can call the office first thing Tuesday morning and get seen that day for a scan just to get a definitive answer about what happened. But I think I am losing it. :(

This sucks.

It so very much does. I had a very early miscarriage in Feb after dealing with my ectopic in Sept. I spent a week hiding in my room with a heating pad, pain pills, and my Kindle watching Netflix. I'm so sorry!! I know it hurts in so many ways.

ETA: I did hold out hope until I started passing clots. Maybe it will still work out!! I'll keep thinking positive.

Edited by happyhomemaker25

Sorry to be gross/for the tmi but now passing kind of large clots so I really think that's that. :(

Will go for scan to confirm Tuesday though.

So sad to have two pregnancies in a row end so badly, especially when I'm 39 and already feel like I'm running out of time.

My husband says he is sad, but glad this time it happened in a way that was early and prob needs no medical intervention that would stop us from trying again right away. And I want to but it's also so exhausting to think of all the trying and waiting and testing and waiting and worrying and waiting all over again...

:(

Sorry to be gross/for the tmi but now passing kind of large clots so I really think that's that. :(

Will go for scan to confirm Tuesday though.

So sad to have two pregnancies in a row end so badly, especially when I'm 39 and already feel like I'm running out of time.

My husband says he is sad, but glad this time it happened in a way that was early and prob needs no medical intervention that would stop us from trying again right away. And I want to but it's also so exhausting to think of all the trying and waiting and testing and waiting and worrying and waiting all over again...

:(

:grouphug: So sorry.