Menu

Once upon a time there was a neighbor who proclaimed herself the head of the cul de sac. She owned 1/2 of a duplex and wanted to sell her half for way more than the house was worth and more than the single family homes would ever sell for. Of course the fact that the 1/2 duplex was overpriced wasn't the reason it wasn't selling. It was all of us. We were conspiring to keep her hostage on our street by having trashy yards, barking dogs, unruly children, junky vans, and cats.

So our neighbor took it upon herself to change all that. One day we came outside and saw her hands and knees, scraping out the grass growing in the cracks in the street with a butter knife. A quick spray of Round-Up or boiling water even would do just as good of a job and probably be faster, but no, she was out there with her trusty butter knife.

Sometimes other neighbors would come home to find that she was pulling weeds in their yard. When asked to please stop and told that the owner of the house would get to it, she would yell at them. Other times she would pull up just planted grass that wasn't coming up fast enough to suit her. Not in her own yard of course.

An unsuspecting neighbor held a garage sale. He let the sign stay up five minutes past the end of the sale. Wacky couldn't have that now. She picked up the sign, walked to the house that had the sale, and body slammed it into his yard.

She held her annual garage sale. The night before the blessed event she walked over to a neighbors house and informed them that she had posted their vans in her sale ad so they needed to make a sign with all the details on the van and put them in the windows of the vans. When the neighbors told her that they were not selling the vans she told them that she already listed them in her ad so they were selling whether they liked it or not. Now these vans were not junky, the family had recently bought a new van and were not sure what to do with the other two yet.

She has gone down in Cul De Sac history as the Wacky Van Seller.

She also blamed everyone elses dogs for teaching her dog to bark and howl when sirens went by. I told her that my dogs never howled until we moved here and reminded her that my dogs stay in our house or yard, that we bring them in when they bark, and they sleep inside so any nightime barking was not from them. I didn't say it was from her dog. When her dog got into my yard and smashed my zuch. plants she said he didn't do it. I suggested she call a friend who was leaving my house when said dog was found on the plants and she said it never happened so she wasn't going to call. Guess we were seeing things? :confused:

So who moved away first her or you?

That's a whole 'nuther story. :)

She did. But she got a very young couple to "rent to own" the house, charged way too much for it, demanded that nothing have an "offensive" odor including their trash, refused to fix anything that needed fixing even though the disabled mom was alone while her husband was deployed to Iraq, and demanded that she keep her yard up but took away the lawn mower she said they could have.

We helped her as much as we could. But then our son's crash happened, the mom had another baby (dad got back from Iraq) and well, a week after my son died she came over with her brand new baby boy and wanted me to see him. I told her it was too soon because the funeral was the day before, she got mad, left in a huff, and hasn't spoken to us since.

We helped her as much as we could. But then our son's crash happened, the mom had another baby (dad got back from Iraq) and well, a week after my son died she came over with her brand new baby boy and wanted me to see him. I told her it was too soon because the funeral was the day before, she got mad, left in a huff, and hasn't spoken to us since.

The new renter/soldier's wife did that? Or the nutty van lady?

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. :grouphug:

We have a neighbor trying to sell her house on our cul de sac. She keeps saying the neighbors (meaning us) have older mailboxes and don't keep up our yards and that is why it isn't selling.

:glare::glare::glare:

She has the house overpriced, hasn't fixed some issues in the house, and a host of other things. But it is OUR faults it isn't selling.

Thankfully we all have at least a few acres so we aren't really close to each other.

She also blamed everyone elses dogs for teaching her dog to bark and howl when sirens went by.

This may be my favorite part of the story (though the van-selling is pretty fabulous, too).

And what a shame your new neighbor turned out to be such an insensitive lout. I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

We have a neighbor trying to sell her house on our cul de sac. She keeps saying the neighbors (meaning us) have older mailboxes and don't keep up our yards and that is why it isn't selling.

:glare::glare::glare:

She has the house overpriced, hasn't fixed some issues in the house, and a host of other things. But it is OUR faults it isn't selling.

Thankfully we all have at least a few acres so we aren't really close to each other.

Sounds like Wacky moved across the country. Sorry. ;)