Menu

I remember watching that when it was on tv. I.think it had a different name though, maybe Victorian hospital. There is another series set in a different time period which is supposed be the same place different time but I can't remember what it was called.

The children in this show are killing me. :'(

Children who stay up all night beating knawing rats off their siblings.

Women who purposely let their newborns die to collect insurance compensation.

Now the children are dying of flu by the dozens in the ward.

And I'm a bit confused...

They call the newbies probationers, the nurses "sister".. And the nurses can't marry? Was The London Hospital originally a church affiliation?

They call the newbies probationers, the nurses "sister".. And the nurses can't marry? Was The London Hospital originally a church affiliation?

Various professions for women were originally celibate: being a wife was considered a job, and not compatible with doing another job. I've heard of school teachers having to leave their jobs when they got married too.

Laura

I have realised what this was called when it was on here. Casualty 1906 and then there were a couple of other series at different dates.

I am not sure about the origins of the name sister for nurses other that a lot of nuns were nurses. But the ward sister is in charge of the ward, that is still true today. My MIL and dh's godmother were ward sisters.

I live in a navy area and we see naval nurses regularly and the wear a uniform that looks quite nun like. Their head covering has kind of wings and looks totally impractical.

Various professions for women were originally celibate: being a wife was considered a job, and not compatible with doing another job. I've heard of school teachers having to leave their jobs when they got married too.

Laura

Yes, I knew that. It was true in America as well. It wasn't just the not marrying, but the whole "package" that had me questioning.

I have realised what this was called when it was on here. Casualty 1906 and then there were a couple of other series at different dates.

I am not sure about the origins of the name sister for nurses other that a lot of nuns were nurses. But the ward sister is in charge of the ward, that is still true today. My MIL and dh's godmother were ward sisters.

I live in a navy area and we see naval nurses regularly and the wear a uniform that looks quite nun like. Their head covering has kind of wings and looks totally impractical.

Ahhhh. I see. Interesting.