Menu

I really need a plan (and help) for 8-th grade!

My ds turned 13 last month. He is doing fine in math, science and reading. We've jumped around in history .... a LOT, so he's had a little from each time period. He's always been interested in Japan, the Feudal period and WWII, so he is fairly well read in those areas. I figured I would have him start an in depth 4 year history cycle in high school. I bought MFW's AHL thinking I would spread it out over grades 8 and 9 to give him extra time to become independent.

My plan hit a snag when I realized there is a lot of composition in AHL. Ds is way behind in grammar and composition. His reading and vocabulary are well beyond his years, but putting his thoughts down on paper is a struggle for him. I bought Analytical Grammar and IEW TWSS + SWI B in hopes of getting him up to speed. We school all year, so technically, he is still a 7th grader until September.

Should I hold off on MFW AHL until his writing skills improve and start him on AG and IEW?

Should I just jump in start MFW along with AG and IEW?

Right now he is doing Saxon 8/7 with DIVE, Apologia General Science, Computer Science 101 online Coursera, SOTW, lots of reading, Rosetta Stone French.

I really need a plan for the remainder of this year and 8th grade. Please help! I'm really starting to panic with high school not too far off.

I started AG and IEW SWI-C with my current 13yo 7th grader this spring - so I agree those were good decisions :D.

I haven't used MFW, so I don't know how it would go to start AHL while you're still addressing skills. In your shoes I would plan to address skill issues and then re-evaluate if he's ready to start AHL 2nd semester of 8th grade. That gives you time with AHL to see what the composition expectations are and if he's ready for them. Kwim? So, what to do for history in the mean time? Hmmmm, a unit study? A half year of geography? Or, pick some good transition literature (some almost "great" books) from any time-period to read and study using the WEM, and do contextual history study lightly alongside. Or, find something you already have on your shelf you kept just in case you had time for it some-day.... and now you do, LOL.