Menu

Would you put this dog to sleep?

Our dog age 10, springer spaniel, has always had aggression issues: growls if anyone other than me is around his food, nips at children's toes if they get too close after eating (does this very lightly, seems to have good bite control). Growls if you get within 10 feet of my bed after about 9pm (that's where he sleeps). He will actually come out and chase dd down the hall if she tries to get something out of the hall closet next to my room.

He has pancreatitis now, a liver abcess or liver cancer, a WBC Count of 50,000, temp of 104, persistant vomiting and has been very ill for 14 days with this.

While I was trying to feed him out of my hand, while he was sick and hurting, he bit my hand hard, really hard, I could feel the muscle in it tearing. It got 4 stitches and got seriously infected and I almost got hospitalized for antibiotic treatment.

I want to put him to sleep, first and foremost because I feel he is now VERY unsafe around me and our kids.

Dh wants to take him for an ultrasound tomorrow and treat him if it's an abcess. He is fighting very hard to keep him alive. He knows I don't feel safe and I think he should be put to sleep not just for safety, but because he is also miserably ill.

We've already spent $2000 treating him over the past 2 mos for the pancreatitis issues and for removal of a bladder stone. He's been treated since he was a puppy for aggression with no improvement. Dh wouldn't let me put him to sleep then or rehome him.

Am I so wrong to think putting him to sleep is the only option?

Would any dog lovers consider keeping him under these conditions?

I would have him put to sleep but I look at animals a bit different than many. I feel that when they are miserable and/or the family is in danger It is time. We put a 2 yr old dog down because of the latter. He was fine with me but very temperamental with anyone else. I had a couple of stand offs with our son that is in a wheel chair and that was the last straw. If I didn't feel confident that we could leave and know that he would not harm our son I was not going to keep him around. I had worked with him A LOT and he was still a psycho.

I would not keep a dog that bit me or anyone else without just cause.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt that the biting was because he's ill, and not because he's vicious. (I would also keep my child away from him for safety reasons. I love dogs, but I'm not an idiot, and I wouldn't put a child in harm's way.)

If your dh really needs to do everything he can to save his dog, I think you should let him do that, because if you put the dog to sleep when your dh still thinks he might recover, your dh is going to feel a lot of guilt, for a very long time.

I think a possible solution would be to speak with a vet you trust and ask what he would do if it were his own dog. Would he continue to treat him, or would he put him to sleep? That information could go a long way toward helping your husband make a decision.

I'm sorry you don't feel closer to your dog, because this has to be incredibly difficult for you. But if your dh loves the dog and wants to keep trying to save him, I think that unless you truly can't afford the vet bills, you should let him do whatever he believes is best.

And let your dh figure out a way to be sure the dog isn't in a position to attack you or the kids.

Aren't some springer spaniels prone to strange aggression issues that aren't treatable? I think I remember running across that when researching breeds. Anyway, yes, I'd put him down, but that's a tough one when your dh wants to keep trying. I'm sorry.

I would put him down. Our dog had liver cancer last year, and she got more and more aggressive the sicker she got. Her last day she was too tired to move let alone hurt anyone, but she did nip at people before that. When they are miserable they are not themselves. If the dog's condition is not treatable and it is suffering, then the humane ing would be to put the dog down. It is hard, and we dealt with a great deal of crying and sobbing for weeks after our doggy's death, but the dog was no longer suffering. It helped that our vet told us that it was the right thing to do, because she would not get better even with chemo. :grouphug:

I would put him to sleep. It's a hard call to make, even after being bit. I had a little cat like that. We had to put her to sleep when she was 7. We couldn't keep her (severe allergies) and no one could take her. One of the hardest and saddest days of my life.

He sounds like he is miserable...I would put him down.

:iagree:

I bet he is in pain and that is making him extra grumpy, understandably. It's time. Sorry. I know how hard it is to make that decision and feel for your dh too. :grouphug:

I'm a vet tech, and have worked in the field for 2 decades. Put him down, please. Pancreatitis is SO painful and miserable. If he is that sick, he needs to be put down, totally aside from the fact that he could seriously hurt someone in the family. If it had been a child's face instead of a hand they would be permanently disfigured.

I bet he is in pain and that is making him extra grumpy, understandably. It's time. Sorry. I know how hard it is to make that decision and feel for your dh too. :grouphug:

:iagree: It's not an easy decision.

We had a 14 year old McNabb (Border Collie) we had to put down. He was going blind and deaf and started snapping at the kids. Up until he was about 13 he adored the kids, this behavior wasn't him.

I would put him down. Our dog had liver cancer last year, and she got more and more aggressive the sicker she got. Her last day she was too tired to move let alone hurt anyone, but she did nip at people before that. When they are miserable they are not themselves. If the dog's condition is not treatable and it is suffering, then the humane ing would be to put the dog down. It is hard, and we dealt with a great deal of crying and sobbing for weeks after our doggy's death, but the dog was no longer suffering. It helped that our vet told us that it was the right thing to do, because she would not get better even with chemo. :grouphug:

Thanks everyone, Katie and mommy to 3, I really value your opinion too since you've actually seen this. Our vet is not recommending anything at this time. She thinks there is a possibility it is a liver abscess not a tumor and that it could be drained and treated.

She doesn't have kids, so she may not understand the "fear factor." She does say he is aggressive, not right, and crazy. She said there's a good possibility that he could bite again, but then when you get to discussing the pancreatitis, liver issues she's for treatment.

I work with cancer patients and see many with issues like these and would never wish it on anyone. I've never seen anyone get better either (granted I work in a hospital so I see the worst). I just feel like treatment is beyond reasonable for an animal that is suffering. Even if he got better clinically he would probably feel like doo doo for a long time, and would be at risk for biting. People suffer with this even after treatment.

Thanks for listening to all my rambling, it helps to talk it out.

Edited by Michelle in AL

Sometimes vets don't get it. I say that lovingly, as I have loved the ones I've worked with, but sometimes being too close makes it hard to see the big picture. Even if they could possibly "fix" the liver, it doesn't mean the cost is worth it, or the risk.

Would any dog lovers consider keeping him under these conditions?

Well, it's no secret here that I'm a pretty big dog lover. However, I would have done it before now. The poor thing is a tortured soul at this point. He's telling you he's done. He's screaming at you and the vet to let. him. go. He's miserable, you're miserable, and it's time to let go. He's 14. He's fought hard, and now he deserves to be whole again.

I know it's hard. But it's the right thing to do.

I"m sending you all peace and hugs.

astrid

Edited by astrid