Menu

Reading Eggs Placement Test (Considering Headsprout or ClickN Read)

Since my DS has been enjoying ABCMouse.com, I decided to let him try Reading Eggs to see if he'd enjoy that better since he's been a little bored with ABCM. Then he tried the samples of Looney Toons ClickN Read and Headsprout, he seems to like them all the same but I'm not sure which would be the best.

Before I get too much futher ahead of myself, let me give some background, he's 33 months and the RE placement test put him on Map 7, Level 60. Now, I know he has both letter and sound identification down plus knowledge of some sight words. He can sound out book 1 of the first set of BOB books. He can read/spell apple plus other words, knows his colors, shapes, numbers to 20 and so on. He plays other games on my tablet and will intentionally pick all the wrong answers because he can (he's that type of child already lol). I expected him to be able to skip a few levels but not half the program. He's already advanced to level 61. Has anyone had this happen and have the results be wrong? I'm just concerned it was a lot of lucky guessing.

I'm not forcing him to learn to read, he won't sit still for more than a few pages in any book with me asking him to read the words he knows or even if I'm just reading it. Nor are we doing any formal reading programs yet. I'm just in favor of edutainment (love that term) over letting him just watch anything on TV or destroy my house while I'm working. Plus he is letter obessed and he "spells" as he calls it, which is reading off each letter on whatever he's looking at. Anything that keeps him quiet and busy for 30 minutes is a sanity-saver.

So if I'm going to invest money into another program to keep him entertained, I'd like one that will best assist him with his reading skills.

I do plan on using this same program to assist my dyslexic SD (8) over this summer too in conjuntion with Dancing Bears.

WHEW, that was more information than I was expecting it to be. So really I'm just wondering what program to pick as on the surface they all seem to work and have their advanges.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Edited by zelli21
grammar error

• 1 year later...

I have only used Headsprouts and used it with six of my kids and briefly tried Reading Eggs. I only like Reading Eggs Comprehension. 

I think I might have to use Headsprouts again with my 7th and 8th if they don;t come out with something better. 

We are using All ABout reading Prek. It is ok but at times my son is extremely bored by it. 

We used click n read a few years ago. I 90% loved it, and they may have changed it since then... I hated the spelling portion. It was WAY beyond where the phonics parts were and you couldn't skip it. You may be able to now. I just did that one part and left my kid to do the rest. It was fabulous except for that.

FWIW, with a super young reader I would not do any computer programs. I would make sure is sit when them and stop any bad habits. My kids read early too, and I'm glad we did couch lessons. If they really are an early reader they'll pick it up super fast - and more so with your help and attention. My son did, and then after finishing another 1st grade phonics I set him loose on click n read. He was about 5 and it was a great review and solidification. It was a game - but he already knew how to read - so it was reinforcement not guessing.