Menu

Timeline Book?

I am starting the Logic Stage of History with my rising 5th grader. We'll be using SOTW along with his younger sister, and K12 Human Odyssey and Classical House of Learning. I also want to incorporate a timeline but we don't have the wall space, so I am looking for a Timeline Book. I really like the look of the one from History Odyssey but I can't figure out how it would go into a notebook without cutting off valuable space from the timeline?

Has anyone used the HO one in a notebook instead of wall-mounted?

What other Timeline Books would you recommend? I don't think my son will write very much and he definitely won't draw pictures. It would be good if it had some basic facts in it and then he fills in the details.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

We kept our timeline and our narrations notebooks separate. We just put together sheets of long construction paper, drew a line in the middle, and did the same length of time on each page (I think it was a century for SOTW 3--it'd be 10 year decades, I think, for SOTW 4). We used Hannah's Homeschool helps yahoo group printable (free) timeline pics that coordinate directly to STOW (and you can use her template to add other images from google or whatever, if you want something that isn't in the pics). We only wrote the date and title in the timeline book.

Definitely the cheap, low-tech option, but it worked well for us.

Timeline cover, 2 sample pages, one notebook page. This was 2nd grade, I think.

I haven't actually looked at it yet, but I'm thinking of getting the one from Sonlight. I believe they sell timeline figures to go along with it that you paste in and then you can write stuff. Like I said, I haven't actually looked into it myself, but it's on my "to investigate" list.

I am starting the Logic Stage of History with my rising 5th grader. We'll be using SOTW along with his younger sister, and K12 Human Odyssey and Classical House of Learning. I also want to incorporate a timeline but we don't have the wall space, so I am looking for a Timeline Book. I really like the look of the one from History Odyssey but I can't figure out how it would go into a notebook without cutting off valuable space from the timeline?

Has anyone used the HO one in a notebook instead of wall-mounted?

What other Timeline Books would you recommend? I don't think my son will write very much and he definitely won't draw pictures. It would be good if it had some basic facts in it and then he fills in the details.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I bought three copies of the TimeFrame Timeline book from Janice Campbell last weekend. I really like this one. It has a two page spread for each century, with columns for decades. Then there are 35 sections across to fill in the event.

We are marking some things as single dates, other things as a span of years. It ends up looking like an intricate bar graph.

We never did well with timelines that involve adding figures or pictures. And we move too often to put a big on on the wall.

I also liked that this both required each son to make entries and allowed them some customization.

I even said that Doctor Who events could go on the bottom line (as long as the historical event was entered on the page first).

It may require too much writing for some families, but here it's a hit.

I used a large display board for our SOTW timeline last year and the year before. I kept it behind out hutch when not in use. Next year I am going to use the Timeline book from Sonlight. We are going from SOTW to Sonlight this fall.

I just bought the Sonlight one at a consignment sale. It does not fit WTM's description of how to make one because it does space ancients differently than the moderns. But for me that will be ok. My dd will have no trouble once I point that out. We do not have space for a wall one.

I haven't actually looked at it yet, but I'm thinking of getting the one from Sonlight. I believe they sell timeline figures to go along with it that you paste in and then you can write stuff. Like I said, I haven't actually looked into it myself, but it's on my "to investigate" list.

This is what we've used for 6 years now and it's holding up well. We did buy stickers to put in, but rarely used them. Dd will continue using this book through high school. It's very sturdy. The pages aren't card stock, but way thicker than printer paper. I like having the ability to have the same book throughout her schooling to look back at.

The HO timeline is made to be used as a wall timeline or put into a notebook. It comes with extra space in the left hand margin so that it can be 3 hole punched without taking away from the timeline and folds up to 8.5x11". I know some families here also put theirs in a page protector.

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions! I have some researching to do.

Can anyone tell me if the homeschool in the woods timeline is secular? I'm not planning on doing a pre-history timeline but I would like a timeline that is secular in focus.

Thanks!

Timeline starts at 5000 B.C.

There is a quotation in light grey italic about size 10 font per two page spread. Some of the quotes are Bible verses and many are famous people. The quotes match up with the time period page they are on. Most of the Bible quotes are in B.C.

Hope this helps.

I got a copy of the Sonlight book second-hand, so we use that. I also found some of the Homeschool in the Woods timeline figure packs second-hand, so I have copied those at 85% to paste into the Sonlight book. Most of the ones that were missing seem to be the religious ones in ours, so that worked out well;). I pick and choose which ones are most applicable to our studies (which are secular).

I just bought a timeline from Add-a-Century Timeline. It is a timeline that can be mounted on the wall or put into a binder. You can completely personalize it with categories that go down the sides with the year stickers that you place across the top. It's a little pricey, but I think it will make the history timeline fun for my ds, who is not into crafts. They provide stickers for the years and categories, and even offer pages of stickers with different historical events. The pages are designed so that you can add or rearrange (hence the name). Their website is www.addacentury.com.

I found the pages in pdf format on this site for free. http://www.allsewnup.com/2008/08/27/timeline-template/

There are only dates on the timeline, even though she's labeled the sections "Creation to Jesus' Birth", and there's a page with an overview of the evolutionary timeline. It's in landscape format (which I really like). I printed mine two-sided onto ivory cardstock (to give it an "old" feel) and purchased the notebook and a timeline figures CD from Homeschool in the Woods. There are many free timeline figures on the web you can use too, but I really liked the look of the ones they offered.

We made our own by printing a timeline in hundred-year increments on cardstock. Then, we taped the cardstock together accordion-style and mounted the accordion to a cardboard, fabric-covered cover. We then tied 2 ribbons to one side to make it book, but we can still open the whole thing up to run the timeline across the room if we want more of a visual. Easy, functional, and almost free! I attached some pictures because this does not make much sense, even to me!

post-38938-13535086620368_thumb.jpg

post-38938-13535086620771_thumb.jpg

We made our own by printing a timeline in hundred-year increments on cardstock. Then, we taped the cardstock together accordion-style and mounted the accordion to a cardboard, fabric-covered cover. We then tied 2 ribbons to one side to make it book, but we can still open the whole thing up to run the timeline across the room if we want more of a visual. Easy, functional, and almost free! I attached some pictures because this does not make much sense, even to me!

I love this idea! A book and a timeline all together!

I wish I could afford one of these for each kid! (And the timeline figures)...

Since we're very limited in funds :glare:' date=' I planned on having my kids start this nice, free (except for printing costs) book of centuries.

I plan to print them on good paper, probably cardstock, put them in nice binders, and suggest to the kids that they color code - one color for inventions, another for anything related to leaders/royalty, another for arts... you probably get the picture!