Menu

Help in picking the right dog

We are thinking about getting a dog, and I need some advice about what to get.

My kids are about to turn 10 & 8 and will LOVE to have a dog to play with, say they will help feed/walk/take care of the dog, etc., but I do understand that the bulk of the care will rest on my shoulders. Since we homeschool, we are home the majority of the day but do have extracurricular stuff almost every afternoon/evening.

We live in a house with a good size yard but are not allowed to fence it because we back up to a pond that is visible from the main entrance road to the neighborhood. We could do an invisible fence, but I know nothing about them. We do have a pool and a screened patio/bird cage. We also have sidewalks throughout the neighborhood and good lighting for walks. We have no other pets.

Here's what I'm looking for.....and I don't know exactly what breeds will fit:

-Medium to (possibly) large size, as long as we can give the dog enough exercise with 1-2 daily walks and swimming in the pool

-Easily trainable, good with kids

-Needs to be able to tolerate Florida heat & humidity

-Prefer a dog that likes to swim - the kids are in the pool almost every day from February through November

-Easygoing temperament - "easy" lovable dog for a first-time dog owner

I do NOT want a puppy. I would love a full-grown dog and would be totally OK with a rescue. I've looked at dogs available at our county's animal services and it seems like many are mixed with some pit bull, which I don't think I want as a 1st time dog owner. I am OK with a mixed breed, but would like to know a little of what to look for in that mix, KWIM?

I've thought about a lab, a springer spaniel (BIL has one who is the size/personality I think I'd want), but would like some advice about other breeds to consider/look for? How do you evaluate a dog's temperament and personality at a shelter without it being with a foster family? Anything else I ought to consider?

Thank you!

Are you wanting to spend money to purchase a dog? Personally, I will be getting a puppy the next time. I will also go for one with "hair" instead of "fur". I've narrowed mine down to a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. I've also looked at Lagottos, because of their non-shedding hair. (well, less hair) I'd also look at a Havanese and a Bichon. I love Springers, but they do shed.

Any dog/puppy you get, I would recommend planning to take it to obedience classes for the first 3 months or so... (at least) and for the first while keeping it on a leash inside the house, too. If you get a puppy, especially, read up on grain free food. (Wolves don't really eat grain :))

Take what you think you'll spend, and then times it by 2.5 or 3 and you'll get close to what you actually spend :) Ask me how I know :)

Are you wanting to spend money to purchase a dog? Personally, I will be getting a puppy the next time. I will also go for one with "hair" instead of "fur". I've narrowed mine down to a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. I've also looked at Lagottos, because of their non-shedding hair. (well, less hair) I'd also look at a Havanese and a Bichon. I love Springers, but they do shed.

Any dog/puppy you get, I would recommend planning to take it to obedience classes for the first 3 months or so... (at least) and for the first while keeping it on a leash inside the house, too. If you get a puppy, especially, read up on grain free food. (Wolves don't really eat grain :))

Take what you think you'll spend, and then times it by 2.5 or 3 and you'll get close to what you actually spend :) Ask me how I know :)

Have you ever met any Lagotto Romagnolos? I ask because they're a pretty rare breed in this country. I've met a few and have not cared one bit for their temperaments, especially in a situation where kids are involved. I've found them to be quick, snappy and pretty darn sharp. Not a breed I'd choose as a family dog from my experiences, but YMMV. Sometimes breeds can seem to tick all the right boxes during an online search but meeting a few in person can make a big difference.

Again, YMMV.

astrid

Have you ever met any Lagotto Romagnolos? I ask because they're a pretty rare breed in this country. .....

Hey Astrid,

Nope... haven't met one, and before I purchased one I would ;) I have been on Yahoo groups with people who have them, there were some that I could have met around Portland (OR). But, by then I had my pup.

I HAVE met a Wheaten Terrier, and if I purchased one I would purchase one from someone who shows them. (At least that's who I found before) Not a puppy mill, by any stretch. I have decent smaller dogs... and not so... and wouldn't purchase from anyone who wasn't reputable.

Thanks for your input about Lagottos :)

:)

I love Wheatens!

Glad to know there are some Lagottos around your area for you to meet. As a rare breed person myself I"m always meeting folks to show them my dogs. More often than not they see the size and the hair (which with mine is't a huge issue as they're almost always reasonably clean and groomed due to our show schedule) and realize it's more dog than they thought..... :001_smile: "Oh! They shed?!" Me: "Yes, but they don't drool!"

good luck in your search!

astrid

Thanks for the input - I've never heard of Lagottos. I think we'd rather stick to an adult dog, a more common breed. A Wheaten might be good.

Well, I would caution against a Springer Spaniel. Some are wonderful, many are impulsive and have dominant aggression issues.

I say this as I type with 4 stitches in my hand and cellulitis due to my springer spaniel biting me this week.

Eek! I'm so sorry to hear that! Will definitely look into that. The only reason I thought about a Springer was because my BIL has one, and his dog has had some anxiety about being alone during the day, but nothing like you described. Thanks for the heads up, and I hope you heal quickly!

Sometimes I wish the "perfect" mutt would just drop out of the sky and "find" us. ;) I know it's not that easy, I just wish it was.

Springer Rage Syndrome.

astrid

Is this from over breeding? :( We had a Springer and it was great, minus the nervous pee thing :( He would have made a great "family dog"... We saved his life. (from the Humane Society, he was going to be put down the day we grabbed him) We ended up giving him to a family with two other dogs, and he did much better... being able to be a follower :)

I'd say go for a lab! Even if you find a lab mix from a shelter. They make great pets and would match everything your looking for. (They're great with kids/families, love to swim, etc.) And I think it's a great idea to look at the shelters. Too many dogs are being bred while thousands are being put to sleep.

We have 4 dogs (1 beagle, 1 lab, 1 lab/shep/retriever mix, 1 lab/husky mix). I got them all off Craigslist. All of them were free except the Beagle. They all were puppies when i got them. I live in an apartment, so finding a rescue/shelter to give me a dog is hard to find. CL is ok for dogs, but you have to ask for vet references to make sure the person was taking care of the dog, go see the living conditions, go meet the dog... I dont regret it. Our oldest female, i even took her back to see her old owner and meet her brother (litter mate).

Also, sometimes you can really save a dogs life on CL/go to shelter/rescue or even if a lost dog wonders into your life/yard. We had a Basset show up in our yard 2 yrs ago and he was dirty, abused, and had Cherry Eye (common in dogs with droopy eyes). No one claimed him and I KNEW if i took him to the shelter, theyd put him to sleep because of the Cherry Eye- I called several and this is what i was told. Sad really. He had a good life though and we loved him. He passed away from Cancer. :(

I personally will not be getting a puppy. Im done with the puppy stage. I would go with a Lab. They LOVE LOVE LOVE to swim, they are loyal and good with kids. LOVE to get out and about. A Golden Retriever would be a good dog too.

This site may help you:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/abc.htm

Is this from over breeding? :( We had a Springer and it was great, minus the nervous pee thing :( He would have made a great "family dog"... We saved his life. (from the Humane Society, he was going to be put down the day we grabbed him) We ended up giving him to a family with two other dogs, and he did much better... being able to be a follower :)

In large part, yes, Springer Rage is from overbreeding/inbreeding, etc. There was some research done years ago that was trying to link it to coat color/patterns, but i"m not sure that went anywhere. I do know that there is a lot of effort in the Springer community (among the Powers That Be) to sort of downplay it and chalk it up to just poorly socialized Springers. That is certainly the reason for some of the temperament issues in the breed, and in any breed as a whole. But for decades there seems to be something more to it in Springers.

Now that said, I ADORE Springers. It's one of my "downsize" breeds that I'm seriously thinking of when the time comes when we are no longer in the "big dog" mindset. A good, solid, stable Springer is a GREAT DOG. Just ask Jean in Newcastle! ;)

astrid

Sometimes I wish the "perfect" mutt would just drop out of the sky and "find" us. ;) I know it's not that easy, I just wish it was.

Be patient. We spent a year, and lots of time on Petfinder, and it happened for us.

We ended up with a completely different dog than we'd envisioned. We ended up with an older male puppy, beagle and maybe some Aussie and mystery mix. He is a wonderful dog, very sweet and responsive. And he loves to swim. :)

You might want to consider an older pup/young dog. They are old enough that you can get a good sense for their personality, but still young enough to learn family rules and good habits easily.

Cat

Love our Golden. They are super sweet, non-agressive, just smart enough to be obedient but dumb enough not to be sneaky. Most like to swim, and they mellow out well when older. They have soft mouths and don't grip or lock the jaw, usually. You'll want one that has good hips.

Just remember that an older, larger dog will not live as long as a littler dog. Also, an older rescue might have something "wrong" with it; they might be able to be trained to get rid of any vices, but there's some reason they were given up, and you'll want to look at a rescue that fosters dogs for a while and gets to know them well, and then you need to listen if they say only older kids or no cats, or whatever. I wouldn't get one that is only for older kids, because who knows when you'll have little ones visiting. I wouldn't get one with ANY agressive tendencies, including food guarding.

But again, in general, I LOVE Goldens!

It took me 3 years to consider a dog for my family due to allergies and me NOT wanting to do the added chores. So I reasearched which dog would fit our family and found all the lists you have fit ours. I found a breeder that breeds a mix of labradors and poodles called Labradoodle. I found this breeder and bought the dog since it was a puppy. I have found this breed to match everything you have on the list. It is an amazing dog. Depending on the background of the dog but I can speak for this one and its family. I met the parents. Great generations. They are a multigeneration dog- meaning that the mix is 50/50 and you get the best of both worlds of the swiming dog, the medium to large size, the smartness to train (very quick to learn), the variation of barely shed to no shed type of dog, no allergy issues, very clean dog (mine loves to take a bath and wants to be clean), wonderful tempermant! (all dogs of this breed that I have met have the same outcome), loves to be with family and not alone (is very social), likes exersice (but mine really likes to hang out with the family exercise or not), it likes to travel on road trips and be in the car with the family(we started him out pretty young to get used to this). There are different ones out there that have not been breeded properly, so a word of causion with this. Usually, they are hard to find in the rescue places cuz' they are so cherished breed, but once in a while they will end up in there for unforseen reasons. I kept checking out pound and nothing for months. There are breeders that know of families that are giving up thier dog, you can check with them as well. We happen to check with our trainer to verify our dogs temperament and said it checked out great and had great hips (apparently poor breeders/or lineage of dog issues). We kept in close contact with breeder, trainer, and vet to make sure we were trained properly for the best outcome of the dogs training and has paid off! WE as a family are all on the same page with knowledge and techniques to training the dog together to take turns. Hope this helps.

In fact, we have a deposit down on a litter, and will be bringing home our puppy at the end of June. I love how smart and funny they are, and that they don't shed and have a distinct doggy odor. For me shed less and nearly stinkless are pretty big priorities. Also, many show poodles lines don't have a ton of drive and don't have the energy level of working and sporting dogs ( that's a generalization, of course) . I didn't want a dog that would not be low key and laid back in the house. Playful, yes...hyper no! A good breeder can help you locate a more laid back pup.

I would go with a very reputable show breeder who does all the health testing, etc. , and whose lines have the sort of characteristics you are looking for temperament wise. The poodles we are looking at have such amazing kid friendly temperaments. We saw three generations at the breeder's home and were sold!

Good luck in your search for the right dog for your family :)

Edited by Singingmom

We got a Labradoodle for DS11's tenth birthday, and she's been a huge success. DS11 has always walked her, twice a day, and cleared up any of her mess. When we first got her as a puppy he spent the first week sleeping in a sleeping bag on the sofa in the kitchen so that he could look after her in the night. She is totally sweet and gentle with all four of my boys, but can also be great fun, and very silly, she has the poodle's 'clown' temperament. We're all completely in love with her. Oh, and she loves water, a bit too much for my liking.

Cassy

I totally agree with Standard Poodle. We just got our third in December. She is six months old. We also have a 10 year old male. They really are wonderful dogs. My first Standard Poodle passed away in November and I still miss her like crazy. They are very intelligent dogs and will need training. It is amazing how fast they learn and how little time and effort it takes.

Good luck with your dog search,

Suzanne

My neighbor has 2 Wheaten terriers (one they bought, one was being given away). They are really sweet dogs and extremely patient with my large, bouncing 1 year old chesapeake bay retriever.

I would only get a lab or any retriever if it was 2 years old or older. I think they are crazy as puppies/young dogs.

My mother has a little poodle and he is a bundle of energy and amazing with kids of all ages (my kids were 3 and 5 when she got him).

My favorite breed is the German Shepherd but I wouldn't recommend one for a first time dog owner.

I agree with others that a Lab seems to fit all the characteristics you are looking for, especially if you are looking to get an adult (at least 2 yrs old). Goldens would fit equally well, but their longer fur does require more maintenance. I prefer Labs over goldens simply because of their wash and wear coat. Both breeds shed though. A lot.

Standard poodles crossed my mind as well. Another low maintenance coat (IF you're willing to pay a professional groomer every 6 weeks or so). And they were originally bred to be water dogs. Miniature poodles might work for you as well, but they're a little smaller than "medium-sized", in my opinion, so it just depends on how small you want to go.

Portuguese Water Dogs are another breed I haven't seen mentioned yet. They have curly, non-shedding coats like poodles, and size-wise, they're bigger than a miniature poodle but smaller than a Lab. Do some research though to make sure their energy level is not too high for your lifestyle.

Petfinder.com is a great resource. Breed rescues are great too, and the volunteers/foster homes can really help you find a dog with a temperament and energy level that fits your family. You can go to www.akc.org and search for local breed rescue organizations for whatever breeds you are interested in.

Purebred Labs are usually pretty easy to find in shelters and rescues. Poodles are a little less common. Portuguese Water Dogs are pretty uncommon, but you may be able to find responsible breeders who are looking to place older dogs.

Not all shelter dogs/breed rescue dogs have issues. Many of them are given up for reasons that are absolutely no fault of their own (allergies, owners moving and don't want to move the dog, dog got "too big", etc.). I adopted my now 10 yr old Lab from a shelter when she was under 2 years old. Within a year, she passed the AKC's Canine Good Citizen test and became a registered therapy dog.

If you're looking to adopt from your local shelter, they may or may not have helpful, knowledgable staff/volunteers who can help you choose a dog. They work with the dogs every day, so unless the dog just came in, they will have some knowledge of the dog's personality and energy level. If not, you may be able to find a local trainer/animal behaviorist who can come with you to evaluate any potential pets.

Good for you for doing your research BEFORE you bring a pet home! Good luck in your search!

Also, an older rescue might have something "wrong" with it; they might be able to be trained to get rid of any vices, but there's some reason they were given up

Not to knock you, but I volunteer with a large no-kill shelter and just wanted to point out it's not ALWAYS a "bad dog" reason. Yes, some dogs are surrendered/abandoned because they are aggressive, chewers, etc. But I would say at least 50% of the dogs we get (hundreds a year) have pretty sorry reasons for being brought in- we're moving, I had a baby and don't have time for the dog, I bought a huge dog but I work 60 hours a week, I bought the dog knowing I was allergic, my 15 year old dog doesn't like the 8 week old puppy... Stuff that has very little to do with the dog. Always use caution with shelters, but definitely give them a chance.

We have a goldendoodle who we just adore. I think any poodle mix would probably be a good match for your requirements, and there are many poodle mixes to be found at a shelter or through a poodle rescue organization.

We did get ours as a puppy, and it has been so much work but very worth it. :001_smile:

Your kids are a bit older I think? So, maybe you would be willing to take the chance on a shelter dog. I do think it is wonderful to adopt from a shelter. And, a rescue organization may be even better, because there has been a foster person interacting with the dog for a while and would be able to assess whether a dog would be good with kids, gentle, non destructive, etc.

For us, because my kids are still so young, we decided to go with a very well bred ( and expensive :( ) puppy, who could grow up with the kids, and get used to our chaotic, loud household from day one. We thought that was wiser and safer. But, a rescue can be a very good option....especially if you are willing to wait for just the right dog, and jump through lots of hoops with the rescue people. Some of whom I have found rather.....interesting :001_huh:

Both of our dogs are lab mixes. I can't really comment on the high energy as a pup bit, as these guys are, but they are also mixed with other high energy dogs.

I prefer to get as a pup when I have children, this is just because habits that aren't appropriate round children or its past owners haven't turned it against kids etc (thats coming out all weird, but hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say LOL :tongue_smilie: )

My dog thats mainly lab loves water, but this doesn't mean if you get a past-puppy stage lab that it will like water. They usually have to be introduced to it as pups, often. My other mix (who really is a big mix lol) was not introduced as much to water as a puppy as it was mid-autumn when we got her. Consequently she's not as gung-ho round water. If I put the water-filled clam shell in the backyard, Lila (LabxBorder Collie) will jump and splash around, dig through the water etc. Roxy (LabxKelpiexGerman ShepxRottweiler) will stand at the sidelines watching Lila, but rarely goes in.

Labs in general are very family-friendly. Any animals I own also tend to be MAJOR sooks (I've had budgies that just like to snuggle against you, and love you rubbing their neck (their feathers fluff up and head cocks to the side), one of my birman cats just flops, purrs and generally wraps itself round your feet, the "not people friendly" other birman I have starts to purr when I kiss her on the head. Lila is a big giant sook, who likes nothing better than to jump on your lap and snuggle (thus squishing you in the process lol) she loves hugs & kisses, Roxy (guard dog) all I have to do is touch her and she sits and snuggles up against my leg and will stay sitting and peering up with her big eyes for as long as you continue to pat her (she also likes to lick any of the family within touching distance lol).

So I'm not much help. About all I can say is the following. If you going to get a number of animals, either get them at the same time, all as babies or: get bird first, then cat, then dog. Lila has been introduced and regulated around the cats for over a year now, and she still wants to chase them around, consequently they always have to be separated (if dogs are coming inside, I put the cats in my bedroom so they feel safe). If the cats are near the sliding door, Lila will bark and wroof and run around doing a stupid dance. Roxy was adopted when we already had the cats, so shes grown up with them, she either ignores them, licks them or slowly follows them around.