Menu

Any takers for a decluttering challenge?

I've been reading the decluttering threads and thinking it would be fun to have a group to encourage and provide accountability for each other in decluttering. Maybe something like the weekly exercise threads? If you're up for it please post here, we'll count this as week one. Whether you're looking to do a major purge or just a periodic clean-out, come join in!

I'm working on my bedroom today.

--Sarah

I'm in!

DD is having her 8th birthday party Saturday and it's spring so I've been working on it. I would love to have some accountability with other supportive moms.

My major project for the spring is to clean/organize all my kitchen cupboards. That's my humdinger for the spring. :D

I started decluttering about 2 weeks ago. I am almost finished with the dining room and still need to tackle the book shelf in my living room (today's project).

So far I've ditched a torn, uncomfortable rocking chair and a standing lamp that seems to migrate from room to room yet never be used. I've thrown out over 5 bags of trash and donated a mini-van full of stuff to Goodwill! :D

I still have a LONG way to go, though. I'm dreading sorting/purging toys. :tongue_smilie:

Today, I'm going to finish steaming the walls of my foyer and wash and put away the winter clothes. FOYER DONE. WASHING IN PROGRESS.

I need to do the ducks this morning and call the plumber about the basement. DONE

I need to wash one shelf in my refrigerator. I HATE that job with a passion so I break it down to one shelf a day. :lol: DONE

Laundry put away. Dishes. The norm there...

And vacuum the basement steps. Hate that job too. :D

Edited by Jennifer3141

I started decluttering about 2 weeks ago. I am almost finished with the dining room and still need to tackle the book shelf in my living room (today's project).

So far I've ditched a torn, uncomfortable rocking chair and a standing lamp that seems to migrate from room to room yet never be used. I've thrown out over 5 bags of trash and donated a mini-van full of stuff to Goodwill! :D

I still have a LONG way to go, though. I'm dreading sorting/purging toys. :tongue_smilie:

It sounds like you've made a fabulous start! I'm always amazed at how much of the junk I clear out really is junk and just needs to go in the trash!

I'm in!

Are you going to make a group?

I've been selling things I want to get rid of/purging things slowly.

The next big project is we are getting rid of our desk (a clutter hog) and replacing it with a smaller desk and shelves. So we are "in the process" of decluttering. So far I've made about $75 this past weekend selling things, and I have another $70 I am making at various times this week.

I just signed up for a Yard Sale that a lady is going to let me come and sell my stuff at in a couple weeks. I'm lowering prices on all my clothing to try and move them faster. So yeah, things are in motion, but it's such a mess here!!!

I'm in as well. I mostly need to sell things and reorganize the closets (we have two large ones in our kids' room). Although the more I think about it, the more I find to do :)

I find I need to do this about twice a year to keep everything as streamlined as I like it.

Edited by ezrabean2005

I really need to declutter. I've been trying to declutter for years, but when I look around I still see clutter.

I have a big garbage and a big recycle can, and I always make sure they are full. If the cans aren't full the kids and I walk around trying to find things to fill them up. I also donate to my local Hospice thrift shop every couple of months. I try not to bring stuff into the house, but we still have clutter.

Clutter is a never ending battle and it drives me nuts.

I'm in!

Are you going to make a group?

I don't think so--I thought we could just start a new thread every week like the one where people check in on exercise, or the book-a-week threads. That way anyone who wants to jump in with a post can do so. If someone has a better idea feel free to speak up!

I've been working on my bedroom most of the day (shh, don't tell anyone we haven't done school!)--a lot of the problem in there is paper, it's where my filing cabinet is but also where I tend to stash stacks of paper to be dealt with. I found the birth certificate application I was supposed to have mailed off a year ago for my youngest (the state where he was born required that birth certificate requests be notarized and I had it all taken care of then lost the paperwork--glad I found it because I didn't want to have to go get it notarized again!). I need to go get that in the mail now! I cleaned out all the dresser drawers and put lots of things back where they belonged in other parts of the house, through out a bunch more stuff, shredded a bunch of paper and defunct library cards etc., and have one bag of things to donate. I need to tackle the closets now.

I'm always de-cluttering something. As soon as I finish one area there's another area to be done or to redo...

I saw an episode of Hoarders last Spring- I'm still traumatized!

Right now the whole family is tackling the garage. I've got some hard decisions to make about my wool stash. I'm a dyer, spinner, weaver and knitter. But this is not the season of my life in which I have oodles of time to devote. I'm thinking of paring down my wool stash and a lot of my dye equipment- a lot of which is stored in the garage.

Can I just say, Ughh.

I'd like to make some real progress this weekend.

I'm always de-cluttering something. As soon as I finish one area there's another area to be done or to redo...

I saw an episode of Hoarders last Spring- I'm still traumatized!

Right now the whole family is tackling the garage. I've got some hard decisions to make about my wool stash. I'm a dyer, spinner, weaver and knitter. But this is not the season of my life in which I have oodles of time to devote. I'm thinking of paring down my wool stash and a lot of my dye equipment- a lot of which is stored in the garage.

Can I just say, Ughh.

I'd like to make some real progress this weekend.

Letting go of things that are important parts of our lives when it is not the right season is one of the hardest things to do. I have a passion for languages and had a huge stash of books and resources for learning foreign languages--but I realize this is not the right time, my energies need to be focused elsewhere right now. And resources that I will not use for the next several years at least can be only a burden not a blessing to my family--I have had to let many of them go.

YES! This is my Spring project that is being put off until almost summer just because I have not been home for more than evening hours for over 3 weeks.

I am HOPING that after next week things will sssslllllloooowwww down and I can concentrate on decluttering.

I MAY be posting pics and or lists for feedback on what to toss! I need help. I need a lot of help.....I am so bad at figuring out what to get rid of and what to keep.

Dawn

I've been reading the decluttering threads and thinking it would be fun to have a group to encourage and provide accountability for each other in decluttering. Maybe something like the weekly exercise threads? If you're up for it please post here, we'll count this as week one. Whether you're looking to do a major purge or just a periodic clean-out, come join in!

I'm working on my bedroom today.

--Sarah

Yes!

My family room, which would make an awesome school area, has turned into a storage/workshop room. I started working on it a while back, took a lot of stuff out to the trash, and piled things to be sold/donated/stored etc back into nice neat stacks in the corners. It looked better for a while, but you know what happens when you have stacks? They grow. My older boys both have bedrooms off that room and when they cleaned out their closets, it ended up piled in those handy stacks.

I pulled it all back out Sunday. It's still a mess, but I have a car full of stuff to donate and one bag and box of more trash taken out so far.

My end goal for this room (hopefully end of summer) is for it to have a desk, some tables, a small sewing space, shelving and a place for a small (32") flat TV.

Oh, and I'm going to totally repaint this room including the ceiling and trim.

I made it into the basement yesterday and tossed a lot of broken toys. I'm going back down there today to work on another corner.

And today is kitchen day for me. It needs to be attacked. I'll swipe another refrigerator shelf while I'm in there too.

The one nice thing about a group (I think) is that it won't get lost on the main feed, and then we can post "progress" pics to keep others updated on our progress. I don't really want to post pics on the general board. :P

Today's plan of attack (after yesterday's confusion) is to get the kitchen ready for desk deconstruction. Then we'll be hanging shelves on the wall, and putting the desktop back on the desk (we have to take the desktop off to get the hutch off... and pray the whole thing doesn't fall apart before we can get it back together....LOL)

I need to do this, but I am so unmotivated. We have a contractor coming in two weeks to put a bedroom in the unfinished part of our downstairs (we have a raised ranch/split foyer so it's not really a "basement") -- this will essentially eliminate most of our already too small storage space. I feel like I've already decluttered down to what I think is beneficial to a homeschooling family of 7, I don't *want* to get rid of any more. *pout* But we need to. I just need a fire lit under me. At the very least I need to totally empty out the unfinished room (and put it in the family room, most likely) so the guys can work. I'll trash stuff as I go along.

One of my biggest problems lately is feeling like I'm being wasteful and damaging the earth. For example, we have a large drawer full of paper that's been written on on one side only, or crumpled a bit, or used to jot something down but the rest is totally useable...and *does* get used by my 4yo for drawing occasionally or for me to write out directions or something.

But *really*, I would love to dump the whole kit and caboodle...that drawer is valuable real estate in our house. Yet when I think of recycling the two bags of paper that I could have "used" I have these voices in my head screaming at me that I'm ruining the rainforest and creating global warming. :lol: Multiply this by a ton of other areas and I'm :willy_nilly:

We really just want to move into a bigger place, where none of this would be a problem... but so far that hasn't happened for many reasons.

Sorry for the diatribe. :nopity: I know. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I've decided to go ahead and post an album of my messy room:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/album.php?albumid=620

This is the room people first see when they come into my home. :tongue_smilie:

I plan to completely re-do it over the next few months. Everything (except the flooring) needs to be changed.

The wall cabinets with maps will be replaced with custom shelving and a media center. The cabinets on the red wall just need to leave (basement probably). One the left side of that wall, I'm planning on built-in shelving (cubbies?). Still thinking on that one. We've talked about putting a small gas fireplace in that corner. It sure would be cozy next winter if we did.

I'm planning a desk for me in the corner where the circular saw is sitting, some kind of soft furniture between where the table with the saw under it and the piano is and about a 48'ish" round table with adjustable height legs (stolen from one of the IKEA tables) somewhere in the room also. Probably about where the colorful dresser is now. There is a lot of natural light there and not on top of the front door.

The room is about 11.5' x 28'. Due to door placement, I've got a bit of a challenge on my hands.

The piano can go to the living room (where the acoustics are better anyway) as getting the TV and some seating into the family room will make more than enough room for it there.

I need to but I don't want to. :tongue_smilie:

My bedroom is the worst, the attic next, but I'm really waiting to find a place to move to which will give me the motivation to do it. I've got a few loveseats that I think need to be set out for someone to pick up and a tv that needs put out as well (maybe I'll do that this week). Hopefully my sister finds a place within the next month because I'm giving her one of our dining room tables and a queen bed as well. That will be a good portion of decluttering done. We'll still have three extra twin sized mattresses and boxsprings to toss because I know these will never find a home. Oh and I have a crib and playpen to destroy and toss out as they are completely unsafe for use. Thankfully the attic hides a lot. :lol:

If Goodwill was closer (much closer), I'd probably be more motivated to declutter but we have to drive an hour to donate to them.

Just finished organizing dh's closet. Not really much to brag about there--dh is a minimalist. I found a couple of things to donate, cleaned up the ripped paper on the floor (we have a cat who loves to rip up paper with her teeth), and organized things nicely. Really, dh is my greatest asset in the fight against clutter--he just doesn't acquire or hold onto things. I'm trying to learn from him!

Perfect timing! I am definitely in.

We had a minor flood in our garage (plumbing issue), and so we are getting a dumpster either this weekend or in a couple of weeks.

BIL is moving out, so we're gaining a third bedroom, at long last. I am trying to declutter both my room and the room the kids share so that moving rooms around is easier.

I need to get rid of all my "fat" clothes. I also need to get rid of all the clothes and shoes the kids have recently outgrown!

And I am sloooowly going through ALL my homeschooling materials. We have a lot I have bought or been given over the years that we don't use.

My goal is to have a place for everything and everything in its place. I want a clean, airy, uncluttered home by summer!

I'm in!

This morning I put together a box and filled it to the top. In case I changed my mind I taped it shut and then took it to our local charity shop asap.

I have to tackle pretty much every single room in my house. I want to involve my ds in this because he is picking up my bad hoarding habits so I want to show him by example how nice it is to have a clean tidy home.

Tomorrow I am tackling my closet and drawers. I have many clothes from when I was thinner. Yes, I want to loose the weight but I think I will donate my old thin clothes, loose the weight and then buy new clothes as a reward.:D

Does Goodwill do a pick up in your area? If you have enough stuff and it sounds like you do, often charities will come to your house and pick it up.

Are you talking to me?

Very little of what's in that room can be donated. It all just belongs elsewhere. It really looks like a lot since it's all been pulled away from the walls and piled in the middle of the room. Those bins are waiting to be toted downstairs.

Also there is a rather large L shaped desk there in progress for one of my boys (almost done!). I actually started cleaning to make room to assemble it and put a coat of finish on it.

It's what happens if you have hobbies, an otherwise unused room with an easy-to-clean floor, and no garage.

I've been working on trimwork etc for the rest of the house, and that's the room work gets done in. Even a covered porch would be very helpful, but my only other alternative is our (rather dark and short on electrical outlets) basement. That's where the majority of the tools needs to be in-between. I just never seem to get around to schlepping them back downstairs. For the summer, my plan is to get them into the wooden cabinet (already mostly done) and ONE bin.

Thankfully, I've already donated much of what came out my my older two son's closets.

Are you talking to me?

sorry. No I wasn't. Another poster said she wished Goodwill was closer. she had xtra beds, tv etc..

Ahhh that was me and nope, no options but taking them to the dump or renting a dumpster. The couches and tv will be picked up by the morning trucks that come through collecting random stuff left out. The last lady that got stuff from us offered to even pay us but we declined. The matresses and crib we will take ourselves to the dump most likely. Although, I'm wondering if I can repurpose the crib somehow and make it useful because it is older and I'd hate to see it go to waste. I seen a really cool blog post on making the headboard and footboard into a chalkboard. That would be fun. I'd just have to do it. :tongue_smilie:

Ahhh that was me and nope, no options but taking them to the dump or renting a dumpster. The couches and tv will be picked up by the morning trucks that come through collecting random stuff left out. The last lady that got stuff from us offered to even pay us but we declined. The matresses and crib we will take ourselves to the dump most likely. Although, I'm wondering if I can repurpose the crib somehow and make it useful because it is older and I'd hate to see it go to waste. I seen a really cool blog post on making the headboard and footboard into a chalkboard. That would be fun. I'd just have to do it. :tongue_smilie:

Here's a crib project or two:

http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-build-a-trellis/

I need to do this, but I am so unmotivated. We have a contractor coming in two weeks to put a bedroom in the unfinished part of our downstairs (we have a raised ranch/split foyer so it's not really a "basement") -- this will essentially eliminate most of our already too small storage space. I feel like I've already decluttered down to what I think is beneficial to a homeschooling family of 7, I don't *want* to get rid of any more. *pout* But we need to. I just need a fire lit under me. At the very least I need to totally empty out the unfinished room (and put it in the family room, most likely) so the guys can work. I'll trash stuff as I go along.

One of my biggest problems lately is feeling like I'm being wasteful and damaging the earth. For example, we have a large drawer full of paper that's been written on on one side only, or crumpled a bit, or used to jot something down but the rest is totally useable...and *does* get used by my 4yo for drawing occasionally or for me to write out directions or something.

But *really*, I would love to dump the whole kit and caboodle...that drawer is valuable real estate in our house. Yet when I think of recycling the two bags of paper that I could have "used" I have these voices in my head screaming at me that I'm ruining the rainforest and creating global warming. :lol: Multiply this by a ton of other areas and I'm :willy_nilly:

We really just want to move into a bigger place, where none of this would be a problem... but so far that hasn't happened for many reasons.

Sorry for the diatribe. :nopity: I know. :tongue_smilie:

Maybe it will be easier to recycle the paper if you consider that a bigger home will require many more resources and use up a lot more energy than what you have tied up in a drawer full of paper:D

Maybe it will be easier to recycle the paper if you consider that a bigger home will require many more resources and use up a lot more energy than what you have tied up in a drawer full of paper:D

Very true! I hadn't thought about it exactly that way before. I still think I want to move though. :tongue_smilie: We'll see how things pan out when we add the new bedroom to get two of the four girls out of the awkwardly shaped 9x11' room. At least 5 out of 7 of us are introverts, all on top of each other. It gets ugly fast. :lol:

Maybe my first progress report here will be that I finally dumped that paper. :)

Very true! I hadn't thought about it exactly that way before. I still think I want to move though. :tongue_smilie: We'll see how things pan out when we add the new bedroom to get two of the four girls out of the awkwardly shaped 9x11' room. At least 5 out of 7 of us are introverts, all on top of each other. It gets ugly fast. :lol:

Maybe my first progress report here will be that I finally dumped that paper. :)

The neatest thing about tossing stuff is thinking "Well, if I dumped the ______ I may as well ditch that ______ as well. It snowballs. :-).

I recently gave someone what must have amounted to about $500 worth of sewing stuff years (and years and years) ago when I bought it. Now I'm eyeballing a few boxes I can fill with books to donate to the library.

The neatest thing about tossing stuff is thinking "Well, if I dumped the ______ I may as well ditch that ______ as well. It snowballs. :-).

I recently gave someone what must have amounted to about $500 worth of sewing stuff years (and years and years) ago when I bought it. Now I'm eyeballing a few boxes I can fill with books to donate to the library.

True! I also find that getting rid of stuff gives me at least as much pleasure as acquiring new stuff does. Interesting...

I'm in....

Each month this year so far I have told myself to get in that nasty garage and start tossing and re-organizing. This week I did get rid of 6 medium sized bags of "stuff" and tossed some more!!

I have to get the garage done in order to get the bedroom done because our house is so small that I have NO where to go with stuff in the bedroom to even come up with a plan...

You can count me in. We had just settled (fairly clutter free) into the size of our house last May when one of my dd decided to move back home while going to college. She took the guest room - not a problem. We don't have many guest any way. She has a king size bed - big problem. The room is only 9X10 so she didn't have any room for her books, files and a place to study. So we moved my hubby up stairs to share my office with me and gave her his office. At the time he was on the road five days a week so it wasn't a big deal. Now he has been working from home for almost a year and that is not working very well.

My office was a sitting room off the bedroom. It was 13X10 but we had two desks, a credenza, a loveseat and a tv in there. There was barely room in the middle of the floor for the two kids, two dogs and the two cats that usually hang out in here. On the other hand, all we had in the master bedroom was a bed two night stands and a wall of books. So I decided to flip flop the two and that is worked out great as far as making more space. Our bed and end tables fit perfect in the other room. We got rid of the loveseat and bought two recliners. We put one of the desks on the middle of a wall with a recliner on either side. The wall of books is still there and the tv is directly across from the desk. Perfect. Lots more space but hubby wants his own work space.

So I thought on it for a while and realized that no one uses the formal living room. We have a loft that we use as a family room. SO we decided to make the formal living room his office. The other desk moved down there as well as all of his files and books. He really needs some file cabinets as he has all of his files stored in plastic bins right now. Anyhow, a little more work in there and he should be set just fine.

Anyhow, that means that we have basically been rearranging furniture since last May trying to find the right, functional fit for everyone. In the mean time we have churned up a ton of clutter. I am at a point to start decluttering. I already several boxes and bags packed up to go to goodwill, a few more boxes to go down to my dd's, and a lot of books to post on here. I need to go through all of the book shelves and clean, straighten and cull. Then I am going to go through the house and pick up any clutter that is left. I will allow the children on opportunity to go through the box and take anything that is theirs and then out it goes. I am slowly moving all of the clutter to the garage and then we will have a major cleaning day out there. I put two shelves with baskets at the top of the stairs to hold school and art supplies but I still don't have enough space for media (dvds, cds and games) or shoes.

I am at a lose about what to do with the shoes. The kids do need to go through and get rid of any that are worn out and don't fit anymore but that is still going to leave a lot of shoes. One dd does have shoes racks in her closet but there is not room in the other two rooms. One dd has one that hangs on her door but the youngest has a mirron on her door. Perhaps I could hang one on the closet door. I have one shoe bench with bins by the front door and one shoe rack by the gargage door but that still doesn't hold all of the shoes. I obviously need more shoes racks. I am thinking of buying a different bench that has more bins and another rack like the one by the back door and move all of mine and hubby's shoes up stairs.

Then it will simply be a matter of keeping the clutter picked up. As you can see this has been a year long process though. Once al of the decluttering is done, I plan to do a deep cleaning and then paint all the places that still need painted. I am hoping to have it all done by the end of the summer. Oh and I want to lost ten pounds by then. :001_huh:

I'm in. One of my kids is always complaining about the clutter so I'm going to do my best to purge out the junk. DD has started helping me gather up excess stuff to donate.

Today I culled three stacks of books (library sale, goodwill, free table at co-op) and a big bag of clothes for charity. Sadly, I can't see any difference in the room that used to store them, but if I keep plugging away, I'm sure it will be noticeable someday.

I went through a bookshelf today and pulled out some homeschooling books and materials that I'm going to take to the local park day tomorrow. I really need to tackle the linen closet in the bathroom--it's become one of those catch-all places and no knowing what I'll find there!

Edited by thegardener

I did it!!! Well, actually the kids helped a lot but our worst room - their upstairs playroom is almost completely decluttered. All I have left is the old turtle aquarium. We took THREE bags of garbage out of there. THREE. It was insane. But I feel like a giant weight has lifted. :001_smile:

Just in time for DD's 8th birthday where it will fill back up again. :glare:

I did it!!! Well, actually the kids helped a lot but our worst room - their upstairs playroom is almost completely decluttered. All I have left is the old turtle aquarium. We took THREE bags of garbage out of there. THREE. It was insane. But I feel like a giant weight has lifted. :001_smile:

Just in time for DD's 8th birthday where it will fill back up again. :glare:

Congratulations!

Regarding the bolded, this is the reason we stopped giving birthday presents. Instead the birthday child gets a private dinner date with mom or dad (both if we can manage it) and the family celebrates with cake and icecream together. We keep gifts at Christmas to a minimum as well, I like to get something nice for the whole family and individuals just get stocking stuffers (this way toys and such are kept to a minimum and most toys in the home belong to "the family" not to a specific child, which means I have full control over them--if they are not longer a blessing to us, out they go!)