Menu

Right Start vs. Teaching Textbooks

Guest aloran

Guest aloran

We have been using Right Start for 2 years now with both boys (7,9). My younger son is very math minded and he really gets the Right Start and has learned so much. He is very much an independent learner too and I was thinking of switching him to Teaching Textbooks so he can go a little faster if he wants but I am a little concerned about the reviews I have read about it not being challenging enough. I want to keep challenging him and I feel like RS does that - anyone with experience with TT have any ideas on that?

I think I might keep my older son in RS because I like to be able to see hands on exactly what he is thinking and I am afraid that if I put him in front of a computer he would totally lose focus.

I guess my question is has anyone switched from RS to TT and what are your thoughts on it?

I wouldn't switch from a program that's working well for a child without a really good reason. I also think 7 year olds are better off with your over-sight and involvement in their math generally. Further, are you sure you want to go away from a conceptual math approach with that mathy child who is thriving?

If you just need something more independent how about Singapore or Math Mammoth? We switched and the kid thriving on RS (very mathy) did not do as well with my switch. I went back to RS. RS may "fit" him really well. I had assumed my mathy child would do well with any program. I switched because RS wasn't working as well for his twin. It's possible your child, as well, might not do as well with other approaches as he did with RS.

Edited by sbgrace

I wouldn't switch from a program that's working well for a child without a really good reason. I also think 7 year olds are better off with your over-sight and involvement in their math generally. Further, are you sure you want to go away from a conceptual math approach with that mathy child who is thriving?

:iagree: If it isn't broke...Don't try to fix it!

That being said.....

Ds17 did;

TT Alg 1 in 7th grade,

TT Alg 2 in 8th,

TTGeo in 9th,

He attended a math/science/technology public school in 10th that uses Integrated math :ack2:... so we bought TT Pre-calc to do at home along with the ps math. He prefers the clean cut format and spiral approach. When he was in ps school, he helped to tutor other kids in his pre-calc class.

At 15 yo, he started college. In his placement tests, he tested Firmly in to college calculus and did great at it and Calc 2. The testing center said his scores were some of the highest the have seen in a young student. So, while it may move at a different pace that other programs, My experience is that it is a solid, stong program that served ds well. I have absolutely no qualms recommending it.

DD13 has gone to private school for a couple of years. She used TT before private school and she has really missed TT. She doesn't care for the private school's math which is heavily language based and not spiral. The school agreed to buy her TT so she can use that along with her regular class. She uses the TT for her homework instead of the teacher's assigned work, but still takes the same quizes and tests that the classroom students do. She is very happy to be back working with TT and her math scores have soared at school.

We use right start here. Finishing levels B & D this month with my kids.

If it is working stick with it. If you feel something needs to move faster, do more than a lesson a day. Your mathy kid might hit a road block, mine did and we slowed down with RS for awhile. Now we are speeding through some lessons because he is ready. Had he been on a computer I wouldn't have been able to adapt it to his needs.

We use right start here. Finishing levels B & D this month with my kids.

If it is working stick with it. If you feel something needs to move faster, do more than a lesson a day. Your mathy kid might hit a road block, mine did and we slowed down with RS for awhile. Now we are speeding through some lessons because he is ready. Had he been on a computer I wouldn't have been able to adapt it to his needs.

RS users as well. We tried MM as a supplement last year to get down the concept of place value and it was horrid. In hindsight we should have just practiced more on games and review lessons. I almost switched this year as so many do after B but I'm glad we stuck with it. Now we are almost finished with C and I just love it so much, it works so well for him. I've considered doing some Beast Academy but I'm scared a bit that it won't speak to him as well but I know RS is coming to an end fairly soon and I've thought AoPS would work well for him(so I thought it a good choice). I agree as well about slowing down and speeding up as needed. Last year we had to slow down for a bit- I really wished I had read then that often people take 18 months to get through B. We finished it in a year but worked hard. After we got over that bump we often doubled up on lessons. We've been doing a lot of double lessons this year as well but then we are just doing Math less days instead of more speeding through.

I wouldn't use TT for a strong math student. Maybe look at Singapore, if you think he could move more quickly and doesn't need as much hands-on work (Singapore has plenty of pictorial representations) or practice / reinforcement. It sounds like he's doing well with RS, and as others have said, you don't necessarily want to change what's working -- but if it's too slow and you think he's ready for something different / more challenging in certain ways, try Singapore.

I've used TT for my younger child (struggling math student). I don't think it's "enough" for her at all, but for a child who needs a Lot of encouragement and success in math, it's helpful. It's not a challenging or thoughtful program however. It's borderline remedial. Which is great sometimes. But doesn't sound like it's what your son needs at all.